Out today 8-3. 320’ turkey neck area. 15+ dogfish and a nice 40ish pound halibut. Current was pretty strong till around 10. Hali bit around 1130. 2 for 2 so far.

This was a common spot for me a friend years ago, shown to us on a charter by Gord.

Whenever we would get one there it was common practice to do a turkey call over the radio or text the other guy a gobble gobble with a photo of the Hali.

Gave Whirl Bay a try today but the baby black cod were all over anything I was putting down. Moved over to Pedder and got out of the black cod and found a few small springs but nothing worth keeping today.

Beautiful looking springs, seems most pictures of springs being shared are all hatchey origin, anyone know which hatchery?

Paddled out from Whiffin spit this morning in my kayak. Jigged up a pair of barely legals off the bluffs that went back. Marked quite a few. So many porpoises! It looked like they were feeding on the bottom. Sandlance? Anybody know?

Paddled out from Whiffin spit this morning in my kayak. Jigged up a pair of barely legals off the bluffs that went back. Marked quite a few. So many porpoises! It looked like they were feeding on the bottom. Sandlance? Anybody know?

Mine were both empty bellied. Skinny g’s. Find that’s all I fish year round down here.

Picked up a nice 8 and a 4 and lost one other today. 2 in the bay and 1 between Bedford/church.

All wild no hatch. The 8 lb had a 6" herring(?) in the belly, all taken on same hootchie I used last report, glow hootchie with chartreuse stripe. Had that rigged on both lines except the unproductive side had a red bead ...go figure

Well dogfish,dogfish,and more dogfish today for me. Although beautiful day out. Launched from pedder tried couple spots .

Well dogfish,dogfish,and more dogfish today for me. Although beautiful day out. Launched from pedder tried couple spots .
Launched from Pedder on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday of this week. On Monday, with my Grandson, we picked up a chicken around 14lbs and lost one of similar size right at the boat. Dogfish was one after another with my Grandson pulling up two at a time on 3 occasions.

On Tuesday, dogfish were plentiful again and we released two halibut in the 8-10lb range and kept a 14lber.

On Thursday I did a solo trip and didn't have time to catch dogfish as a hali grabbed on about 15-20 min into the trip. Another chicken at 16lbs. Been lucky to find a fish but haven't hooked a decent sized one yet. Trolled in the bay for a couple of hours but no luck. Did see a guy the dock with 3 salmon.

Put in a few hours at Pedder this morning. Pretty scratchy fishing, kept one 8lb hatch. A vessel south of Race put in a pan pan with their halibut anchor line in the prop--bit of breeze and current at the time I imagine--and Vic CG Cape Sutil came to assist. Don't know details, but looked like they assisted a boat in, presume all were ok.

Haven’t been out for over two months. Engine were having hiccups. It went away after about 30 min of running. Think might be fuel problem. Anyways, due to engine hiccups we decided to fish close to marina. So just jigged the trench area in Beecher bay. There were some markings near bottom but no takers. Didn’t even catch a sablefish. Have anyone had any luck? Kids actually love sablefish more.

Haven’t been out for over two months. Engine were having hiccups. It went away after about 30 min of running. Think might be fuel problem. Anyways, due to engine hiccups we decided to fish close to marina. So just jigged the trench area in Beecher bay. There were some markings near bottom but no takers. Didn’t even catch a sablefish. Have anyone had any luck? Kids actually love sablefish more.
I was out in my kayak on Thursday last week and managed to bring home a chunky 68cm. And yes, there were still some sablefish around. Not like earlier in the winter, but I got into 3-4 in a few hours. I'm guessing Whirl still has sablefish. Tons of bait came in with the flood.

I was out in my kayak on Thursday last week and managed to bring home a chunky 68cm. And yes, there were still some sablefish around. Not like earlier in the winter, but I got into 3-4 in a few hours. I'm guessing Whirl still has sablefish. Tons of bait came in with the flood.
That’s great info. Thank you

Back