Fished Becher a few days ago in my kayak 9-2pm. Stayed in the bay and tried the usual spots (Lamb, Hoskyn, w of Fraser, top of the trench). Lots of bait - some huge, probably herring. No salmon for me (didn't mark many, either), but tons of juvenile sablefish. Jigging 100-160'.

Fished Becher a few days ago in my kayak 9-2pm. Stayed in the bay and tried the usual spots (Lamb, Hoskyn, w of Fraser, top of the trench). Lots of bait - some huge, probably herring. No salmon for me (didn't mark many, either), but tons of juvenile sablefish. Jigging 100-160'.
Black cod is good for smoking

Fished today from 10am to 3pm from Secretary to Otter from 110ft to 140ft. Slowish but steady bite until 2pm. No particular spot seemed better. Needlefish spatterback hoochie and a 3in white/chrome spoon produced about the same. Lost two decent fish at the boat and landed two small keepers.

Ran past a solo sea otter in about 50ft of water just outside from the Basin.

Stomaches were mostly empty but did find some krill in one.

PXL_20240122_051050764.jpg

Last edited:
Went out of Cheanuh this morning, not much action but did manage to get this hatch between Bedford and Church, 210 on the rigger with a glow hootchie with chartreuse stripe. Stomach empty.

Also picked up a red rockfish and released him safely with the descender.

Jan23rd2024.jpg

Last edited:
Splashed the boat yesterday for a couple months. Lots of Juvi sablefish in Whirl, I've never caught them before until this year. Couldn't keep them off. Probably won't be going back there anytime soon. Found a smaller legal spring but let it swim. First rip since late Oct/winter maintenance.

Splashed the boat yesterday for a couple months. Lots of Juvi sablefish in Whirl, I've never caught them before until this year. Couldn't keep them off. Probably won't be going back there anytime soon. Found a smaller legal spring but let it swim. First rip since late Oct/winter maintenance.
We got 1 about 8 lbs at Whirl this morning but, like you said, you had to keep working the gear to clear the sablefish.

Yeah, I was out at Whirl in my kayak 10 days ago and marked some salmony things on the bottom, but couldn't keep the jig down for more than a few jigs before it would get smoked by a sablefish. I did end up hooking into one decent spring out along the deep contour (80' down in 200'+). The sablefish seemed to be concentrated along the 130-150' contour when I was there.

Was out 300’mud hole area. Not that big but first one for 2024. And a bonus fish aswell. Didn’t see that many boats out. 8-1 then current started to run.
Good stuff. I prefer the taste of your bonus fish over the Hali any day of the week. Hoping to get out Tue or Wed to give it go.

Got out and tried from 7-12 today for the halis

Just tons of dogfish, burned through 15-20 of my nice herring.

Good to know there are some out there, I figured it’s a tad early.

Got out this morning early and anchored up straight out off Pedder on the edge of the shipping lane. Ebb current was good but only the dogfish were hungry. Silver lining was some crab and pleasant company. Worse ways to spend a morning.

I was there as well. I released a 8-10lb hali early on. Stopped counting the dogs after 2 dozen. Picked up a 4-5lb clipped spring and my limit of crabs as well. Was surprised that there weren’t more boat out.

Back