2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

It took some planning and friends but I just filled my last chinook spot in for the year. Blue Hawaii brads bait loaded with sardine. 65 feet Tunstall
Beauty. I caught a few on a Blackjack coloured one several years back. Nothing since, but haven't tried much with it. But maybe I should break it out one day.

Decided to go against the grain for the finisher and since we were pushing off from Sewell’s at 7:15 decided to steam up to Porteau/Defence. Smooth sailing until Brunswick and started running into a mild outflow from the North but carried on. Dropped lines just past the point at Porteau. Tacked to port when we hit the terminal and when we we turned back North the back rod goes off with a heavy bite and 2 heavy long runs which prompted popping the other lines to bring them up. Then the dreaded pop off bump. After the obligatory “should I have hit it with a shoulder ripping hook set” discussion put the lines down again and puttered around for the next 3-4 hours with a few unders release while the water settled into glass. Headed out to deeper water towards Defence for the ebb. Then one pin popper and another pop off cursing the ****** start up on the TR3 reels swearing that they will never be fished again only to be discovered that the stainless hook snapped. Then a final pin popper watching a natural righty bring in a beauty 75 cm on a lefty reel for the first time. It was like watching a rookie for the first time. FYI moving the knob forward loosens the drag when the reel is set up for left hand retrieve….. The group killed a nice fish and a bottle of Gold Spot from Ireland in the glorious weather and water conditions deep into Howe Sound. Smooth steam back to port and thought about going for some fish and chips in Horseshoe Bay then decided why risk being disappointed. Note for the season. Hit a fish on the opener at Gower and final day at Defence. All fish hit at 150 on rigger regardless of depth on uv green striped hoochies. Looking forward to next season and more adventures on this piece of the floating marble we call home. Photo file size are too large and can’t figure out how to post…..

Hatchery coho appears to be open in some areas of 28. Is anyone heading over to 28–2 to fish from Cowans down along Seymour Bay and the east side of Bowen?

Well, if hatchery Coho are in season, maybe will pop out there. Need to rustle up some crewmembers at the homestead.

When do they actually start showing up? Know they were getting them early March across the Strait.
Well I sure didn’t see many out there today. Asked the only boat there if he was Aquaholic. He stopped smiling right away, I’m pretty sure he misheard me over the motors, thinking I was accusing him of being an alcoholic as his crew sipped on a few suds while fishing a few lines. I guess I didn’t think that through. Quiet day but a beautiful one nonetheless.

I just got back to the dock. Had the coho gear out, one of the hits I thought for sure was going to be a coho, but it was a little chinook. Lots of fish out there, not the ones we want.
Where did you try Aquaholic? Looks nice tomorrow, I might sneak out for a while and do some early season scouting too, just for the heck of it.

Where did you try Aquaholic? Looks nice tomorrow, I might sneak out for a while and do some early season scouting too, just for the heck of it.
East side of Bowen, Seymour Bay heading about half way towards the north end and back, stayed out far enough from shore to be in the trough. Scrapin' paint with BCF.

Follow the BCF line closest to East Bowen or just inside of it.

IMG_9879.jpeg

Last edited:
Back