2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Remember the Garry Cooper show last year about this time showing guys fishing squid? Anybody gonna try for squid out in the Straights in 1000 ft of water this year? My boats yet to be splashed. I'm gonna try in May but that's a while off yet.......Can't help but think there's a whole new fishery for us to get into. I'm currently on the Med and watching guys ever afternoon late in the day load up with nice 2-3 lb eaters....

Last edited:
Remember the Garry Cooper show last year about this time showing guys fishing squid? Anybody gonna try for squid out in the Straights in 1000 ft of water this year? My boats yet to be splashed. I'm gonna try in May but that's a while off yet.......Can't help but think there's a whole new fishery for his to get into. I'm currently on the Med and watching guys ever afternoon late in the day load up with nice 2-3 lb eaters....
Still on my list. I have the jigs ready to go and a 8000 spinning reel with enough line. Find the hake, find the squid. Vancitysalmon was hitting them last April off Lions Bay.

Fished the contours off Gower Point and Chaster Creek yesterday for an hour. Got into some nice winter chinook in 180' - 220', especially in the corners where some shelter from the current held bait.

6 fish to the boat in an hour, 2 would have been slot fish, all released in the water. Also 2 rock fish, so if you're fishing this area keep your descender handy. Rock fish consistently showed up schooled on a hump or pinnacle. Then the telltale wiggle on the line and dead weight pull.

All the fish were super fresh and energetic, including 2 jumpers. Best producer was black / black Pacific Angler flasher with white anchovy 3.5 spoon.

Fished the contours off Gower Point and Chaster Creek yesterday for an hour. Got into some nice winter chinook in 180' - 220', especially in the corners where some shelter from the current held bait.

6 fish to the boat in an hour, 2 would have been slot fish, all released in the water. Also 2 rock fish, so if you're fishing this area keep your descender handy. Rock fish consistently showed up schooled on a hump or pinnacle. Then the telltale wiggle on the line and dead weight pull.

All the fish were super fresh and energetic, including 2 jumpers. Best producer was black / black Pacific Angler flasher with white anchovy 3.5 spoon.
Now that's a report.

Fished past the red bell in the harbor on Wednesday. Broke my down-rigger holder so only used 1 rod. Caught a flounder, small spring, 60 cm spring and a ugly cod. Kept the cod and it tasted great. Crabbing was very good. One trap had 6 keepers. Caught 11 keeps in 4 traps. I let 3 keepers go.

Back