2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Did a few laps by the bell 11-2pm today. Released several, no keepers but a few were close. At least half the fish were hatchery marked. Most fish near bottom but also hooked a few suspended at 70’. Spoons and hoochies produced equally. It was a bit lumpy and the wind picked up near the end, and made for a slow wet ride back up the north arm.

@Aquaholic didn’t see a sea lion, just the usual dozens of seals in the river.

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1007.jpeg
    IMG_1007.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0992.jpeg
    IMG_0992.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
There was a half dozen boats off defense islands today, Feels like its that time to head deeper into the sound, that's my spot next time out.

I was thinking about heading out tomorrow. Did anyone go out today?
Thrasher had a good bite going today, I was late to the party around 11am after striking out at Entrance. Got into a 64 & 66 keeper and couple missed hits, couple unders. Other rods going off and nets out as well.
Oh yeah… by striking out at Entrance I mean no fish there and 2 rigger balls lost 🤦‍♂️ At least I got some redemption IMG_4670.jpeg

Last edited:
It was great to get out today, launched in Port Moody, dropped a prawn and crab trap then fished Grace and those islands not worth burning fuel too 😉, a bunch of unders , measured a couple at 58cm’s the rest were released while still in the water. Switched to Non-Mesh Prawn traps, what a difference!!
Crabbing was good. White Tail back-strap on the Bar-B for lunch. Productive lures where black flasher with white flash fly and Irish cream spoon with lemon lime flasher. Fished a chovie for a while too, but no joy was had with the chovie.

Attachments

• IMG_3215.jpeg
    IMG_3215.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3214.jpeg
    IMG_3214.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3213.jpeg
    IMG_3213.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3211.jpeg
    IMG_3211.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Launched at Port Moody a little later. But before the crack of noon...
Fished with a bunch of boats by UBC, just past the freighters. Caught two fish. First fish was a keeper. Caught on AP Herring spoon in Neon Army Truck. Running a dummy flasher and spoon 5' above. Flasher is an in-line from Delta. Purple but I added glow tape. The salmon had herring in its stomach.

Attachments

• 20240218_202027.jpg
    20240218_202027.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20240218_200908.jpg
    20240218_200908.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 125
Tried to fish the bell today. Went out at 11 to hit slack tide. Ended up being too rough to fish so packed it in after about an hour. Caught a pile of crab again but only one keeper.
I was out today around that time. Wind came up for sure. Little more than I was expecting.

I went out today. Me the wife and both kids, 19 month and almost twelve years. I guess I ruined fishing for the boy and wife in the early years, so they essentially never come out. Today was the exception. I was going to take them to bellboy and enjoy a calm day... Bellboy was rough, Ambleside it is. I told the boy he could drive, so I just put out one line. We only had an hour and a half. It was really good. An ap spoon produced a couple decent fish. Intentions were catch a release, which turned out to be a good thing because I pulled out one to give the baby a look. She was horrified.lol. she did not want any fish on the boat.
My marina neighbor got four at the bell, guys beside me got one at Ambleside. Fish were being caught. Great family day.

Thrasher had a good bite going today, I was late to the party around 11am after striking out at Entrance. Got into a 64 & 66 keeper and couple missed hits, couple unders. Other rods going off and nets out as well.
Oh yeah… by striking out at Entrance I mean no fish there and 2 rigger balls lost 🤦‍♂️ At least I got some redemption View attachment 103245
nice haul both springs are hatchery too

I went out today. Me the wife and both kids, 19 month and almost twelve years. I guess I ruined fishing for the boy and wife in the early years, so they essentially never come out. Today was the exception. I was going to take them to bellboy and enjoy a calm day... Bellboy was rough, Ambleside it is. I told the boy he could drive, so I just put out one line. We only had an hour and a half. It was really good. An ap spoon produced a couple decent fish. Intentions were catch a release, which turned out to be a good thing because I pulled out one to give the baby a look. She was horrified.lol. she did not want any fish on the boat.
My marina neighbor got four at the bell, guys beside me got one at Ambleside. Fish were being caught. Great family day.
awesome your buddy got four keepers at the bell

We took a detour on the way back from Saltspring yesterday and dropped the lines at Thrasher at 2:30pm and had our 4 keepers shortly before 3:30pm. All pretty lean, but freshly stuffed, with feed and the largest was 75 cm. Lots of bait on the screen. Was fishing with black flashers and trap shack skinny g's but I am not sure it would have mattered what we had down.

Here it goes... I had a great trip up to VAN/Howe Sound this weekend! First off, I appreciate everyone who helped throw some pointers out/shared intel and a few who even shared their phone numbers with me. We arrived at Vanier at 4:30PM on Friday. Launched the boat, motored around the corner to Coal Harbour/Bayshore West. We ended up getting the Westin Hotel to work with us and let us keep the single axle trailer in a parking space for the weekend and just paid self-park rate...So was nice to have close and secured. We met up with another Arima owner/new friend Saturday morning. Dropped Crab Pots at Pt. Akinson and Shrimp Pots near Seymour. Headed to Tunstall, then Grace...They left for the day, we finished up at Waterfall.... Only had 2 fish to the boat Saturday...Both short, 19-20". Tons of bait at Waterfall in afternoon, but no bites. Sea Lions didn't seem to be roaming, just beached up on homeowner's docks. Pulled prawn gear and buddies 4 pots had enough for 4 limits plus a little extra..they set within 300 yards of us... Our two pots had...8 Shrimp. So my theories are: either I set incorrectly, the pots rolled or were not fishing right... the mesh was too large or worse case, someone saw my out of state buoy and decided to pull it. Crab pots came up with 2 limits plus some... We repeated Sunday with the same schedule, except this time we first fished the Bell at day break for a couple hours.. Ended up with 5 to the boat and released there, all 18"-23", too small...The dumped Pots at same locations...Passed Tunstall with only 3 boats fishing and didn't seem too active. We found a lot of boats fishing Waterfall and fell in line to begin the troll... We worked the area for a few hours, there was a commercial boat circling the Piling/marker post out there for like 30 minutes + straight...Any idea what they were doing? Looked like a long liner or prawn boat checking bottom. We hooked 3 fish and landed 2 there...Once again, too small. Headed back South and caught 2 Orcas heading up the Sound near Tunstall. That was a hilight for me...We don't get to see many Orcas in Central/South Puget Sound (Seattle). Pulled gear and same story...Almost exact same spot for Prawn gear...for 3 shrimp total. Using shrimp pellets soaked in blood/fish oil juice, added in chunks of Salmon Bellies, Whole Pollock and other chunks of fish...All mashed up in a bucket that soaked overnight to get the oil/scent trail loaded up strong...Ran into a Hewescraft with 2 guys pulling gear next to us and they thought their gear had been picked over too...I have no idea what the heck happened! Crab Pots were ok, only 5 keepers total between both pots. Monday, we were either going to run up to Defense or over to Thrashers, glad we didn't go across... It was lumpy and didn't lay out like forecast said... We were the second boat out at the Bell and decided to just focus on that area and only Blackmouth for the day, not crab/shrimp. We landed 9 to the boat. A couple were at 23.5" so just under...But about 5 fish in, we had a stupid Harbor Seal latch on and wouldn't let go. I hand pulled the line in and used a gaff to do a quick hook pull from its cheek and saved both the lure and flasher, so big win! As we were about an hour or less from calling it quits, Port side rod twitches and releases clip...tip was just slightly bending, nothing major...thought that I came off...And then rod buried and head shakes began... Game on, real one! Landed a 27.5" male, hatchery with an empty stomach. Few more passes and then pulled out and headed to Seattle. I'd say 80% of the fish were caught on an Ace Hi Fly with salt cured herring strip off the trailer hook. Next popular lure was Silver Horde Coho Killer (White Lightning). Soaked in anchovy/herring lotion. Flashers were Limeade glow, herring aid, black hallucinator. Also fished hoochies, Gibbs skinny g's and a couple Tomics.

Couple of thoughts/questions....

- Canadian Tire is awesome! Why is every parking lot, even one that was designated if for a specific store, pay to park?

- Security Guards in almost every single retail store we went into...Even a restaurant had a security guard.. Bad crime or homelessness?

- Had a Big Grady White blow by me really fast at the Bell Buoy Sunday morning when we were trolling... Only another boat or two out there, plenty of ocean to find a different path.. Why couldn't have he gone further outside of us and not thrown us into his wake..Seemed targeted. heard there is a guide boat or two that's known to cause problems... Also happened again to us and a couple other boats, I believe it was a Maroon Hardtop Tin Boat leaving Waterfall Sunday afternoon...We are not used to Salmon Trolling and having guys fire up and blow out of the zone to head somewhere else, usually a person will slow motor out of the troll zone and then pick up and go... Maybe it's more common/normal there?

- South end of Bowen Island, right in the wide open... saw a lot of Buoys just offshore line and some guys trolling...Is that another popular area for Blackmouth? Good spot for Crab/Shrimp?

- Holy cow, $6.55-$7.00/ Gal for Fuel. You all weren't kidding when you said fill up before we get up there...Glad we went to Costco Friday, haha. What is the reason behind the high prices?

Attachments

• 20240216_173857.jpg
    20240216_173857.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 123
  • 20240217_113408.jpg
    20240217_113408.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 20240217_122041.jpg
    20240217_122041.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20240217_143448.jpg
    20240217_143448.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 20240218_095118.jpg
    20240218_095118.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20240218_135520.jpg
    20240218_135520.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 20240218_213749.jpg
    20240218_213749.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20240219_221049.jpg
    20240219_221049.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6006.jpg
    IMG_6006.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 128
Here it goes... I had a great trip up to VAN/Howe Sound this weekend! First off, I appreciate everyone who helped throw some pointers out/shared intel and a few who even shared their phone numbers with me. We arrived at Vanier at 4:30PM on Friday. Launched the boat, motored around the corner to Coal Harbour/Bayshore West. We ended up getting the Westin Hotel to work with us and let us keep the single axle trailer in a parking space for the weekend and just paid self-park rate...So was nice to have close and secured. We met up with another Arima owner/new friend Saturday morning. Dropped Crab Pots at Pt. Akinson and Shrimp Pots near Seymour. Headed to Tunstall, then Grace...They left for the day, we finished up at Waterfall.... Only had 2 fish to the boat Saturday...Both short, 19-20". Tons of bait at Waterfall in afternoon, but no bites. Sea Lions didn't seem to be roaming, just beached up on homeowner's docks. Pulled prawn gear and buddies 4 pots had enough for 4 limits plus a little extra..they set within 300 yards of us... Our two pots had...8 Shrimp. So my theories are: either I set incorrectly, the pots rolled or were not fishing right... the mesh was too large or worse case, someone saw my out of state buoy and decided to pull it. Crab pots came up with 2 limits plus some... We repeated Sunday with the same schedule, except this time we first fished the Bell at day break for a couple hours.. Ended up with 5 to the boat and released there, all 18"-23", too small...The dumped Pots at same locations...Passed Tunstall with only 3 boats fishing and didn't seem too active. We found a lot of boats fishing Waterfall and fell in line to begin the troll... We worked the area for a few hours, there was a commercial boat circling the Piling/marker post out there for like 30 minutes + straight...Any idea what they were doing? Looked like a long liner or prawn boat checking bottom. We hooked 3 fish and landed 2 there...Once again, too small. Headed back South and caught 2 Orcas heading up the Sound near Tunstall. That was a hilight for me...We don't get to see many Orcas in Central/South Puget Sound (Seattle). Pulled gear and same story...Almost exact same spot for Prawn gear...for 3 shrimp total. Using shrimp pellets soaked in blood/fish oil juice, added in chunks of Salmon Bellies, Whole Pollock and other chunks of fish...All mashed up in a bucket that soaked overnight to get the oil/scent trail loaded up strong...Ran into a Hewescraft with 2 guys pulling gear next to us and they thought their gear had been picked over too...I have no idea what the heck happened! Crab Pots were ok, only 5 keepers total between both pots. Monday, we were either going to run up to Defense or over to Thrashers, glad we didn't go across... It was lumpy and didn't lay out like forecast said... We were the second boat out at the Bell and decided to just focus on that area and only Blackmouth for the day, not crab/shrimp. We landed 9 to the boat. A couple were at 23.5" so just under...But about 5 fish in, we had a stupid Harbor Seal latch on and wouldn't let go. I hand pulled the line in and used a gaff to do a quick hook pull from its cheek and saved both the lure and flasher, so big win! As we were about an hour or less from calling it quits, Port side rod twitches and releases clip...tip was just slightly bending, nothing major...thought that I came off...And then rod buried and head shakes began... Game on, real one! Landed a 27.5" male, hatchery with an empty stomach. Few more passes and then pulled out and headed to Seattle. I'd say 80% of the fish were caught on an Ace Hi Fly with salt cured herring strip off the trailer hook. Next popular lure was Silver Horde Coho Killer (White Lightning). Soaked in anchovy/herring lotion. Flashers were Limeade glow, herring aid, black hallucinator. Also fished hoochies, Gibbs skinny g's and a couple Tomics.

Couple of thoughts/questions....

- Canadian Tire is awesome! Why is every parking lot, even one that was designated if for a specific store, pay to park?

- Security Guards in almost every single retail store we went into...Even a restaurant had a security guard.. Bad crime or homelessness?

- Had a Big Grady White blow by me really fast at the Bell Buoy Sunday morning when we were trolling... Only another boat or two out there, plenty of ocean to find a different path.. Why couldn't have he gone further outside of us and not thrown us into his wake..Seemed targeted. heard there is a guide boat or two that's known to cause problems... Also happened again to us and a couple other boats, I believe it was a Maroon Hardtop Tin Boat leaving Waterfall Sunday afternoon...We are not used to Salmon Trolling and having guys fire up and blow out of the zone to head somewhere else, usually a person will slow motor out of the troll zone and then pick up and go... Maybe it's more common/normal there?

- South end of Bowen Island, right in the wide open... saw a lot of Buoys just offshore line and some guys trolling...Is that another popular area for Blackmouth? Good spot for Crab/Shrimp?

- Holy cow, $6.55-$7.00/ Gal for Fuel. You all weren't kidding when you said fill up before we get up there...Glad we went to Costco Friday, haha. What is the reason behind the high prices?
The boat around the piling at waterfall was a dive boat. There were people diving the reef for a few hours Sunday around noonish

Back