2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Anybody want to guess when Area 29’s “temporary” Chinook restrictions in the summer are going to be this year? Is it a September opening again? The meaning of the word “temporary” seems to have changed. Trying to do some planning for summer vacation and don’t wanna miss a day of Chinook fishing. Who’s got intel/insights?

Was out yesterday for a few hours. Had the place to ourselves. Only a few unders at waterfall and grace. One downrigger had no power and I didn’t bring my tools to fix it. Found that out when it was 190’ down. Had to stack after that. Prawning was really good. The best haul we’ve had in years. What a day to forget the Scotty puller at home and on top of that we snagged two really old ghost traps. Got a good burn going. Now I get to shovel snow all day.

Attachments

• IMG_4968.jpeg
    IMG_4968.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 80
Anybody want to guess when Area 29’s “temporary” Chinook restrictions in the summer are going to be this year? Is it a September opening again? The meaning of the word “temporary” seems to have changed. Trying to do some planning for summer vacation and don’t wanna miss a day of Chinook fishing. Who’s got intel/insights?
Can't see it being anything other than at least what it was past couple seasons. Shut down April 1, opens back up staggered Jul 15/Aug 1/Sept 1 locally. We'll see what kind of MSF fishery they throw our way this time.

Seems like one of those permanent-temporary things... "new normal" some may say.

Can't see it being anything other than at least what it was past couple seasons. Shut down April 1, opens back up staggered Jul 15/Aug 1/Sept 1 locally. We'll see what kind of MSF fishery they throw our way this time.

Seems like one of those permanent-temporary things... "new normal" some may say.
the SRKW no go zones are 2 years running, I suspect they will be back too.

To the question “do you have questions or comments”…….ya I do, never seen an Orca in that area during to time frame of closures. Maybe they stumble in there but it’s no habitual feeding ground.

The next Prime Minister of Canada PP is holding a rally this weekend in Coquitlam. I'm going to check it out with a buddy. Sometimes he holds photo ops etc and If I happen to get the chance to cross paths with him at all, even for a 5sec conversation, I'd love to ask him what he is going to do to fix DFO.

Trolled out of the North arm 10-1pm today, zero action on the rods but lots of marks on the sounder. There was what looked like huge schools of hundreds of fish out in 200' but they wouldn't hit anything I threw at them. Didn't see any other boats fishing, conditions were great

Attachments

• IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 150
Trolled out of the North arm 10-1pm today, zero action on the rods but lots of marks on the sounder. There was what looked like huge schools of hundreds of fish out in 200' but they wouldn't hit anything I threw at them. Didn't see any other boats fishing, conditions were great
We saw that last time we were out as well. We also threw a ton of different options at them and couldn’t get a bite either.

I would generally interpret these as dogfish this time of year and in that location.

We saw that last time we were out as well. We also threw a ton of different options at them and couldn’t get a bite either.
this time of year if u dont feel like hitting howe sound i would try off the bell the mile markers and around the freighters in the harbour look for bait balls keep your gear just up from the bottom like 10 feet see bait balls circle around them should be fish hanging around in those areas now

View attachment 102116View attachment 102117
These spots looked more fishy to me, still skunked though.
Thanks for the tips. I guess you can’t catch fish every time but after last season it feels like you should be there we so many fish around.
I find that in the winter the bite will just turn on and turn off sporadically. If I find bait like that, I'll just keep on it. Sometimes it's 4 hours of donuts until that one bite happens. Confidence is key. It's not you, it's them.

Because you're looking at Horse Herring.

Back