2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Give that spot a couple months and it'll be lights out. I know they're there, but not worth weeding through all the smalls. I think that's why FM used to call it the nursery (or something like that).
Yep 100%. Last year the Bell was great late Feb early March… I know this because at the time, I was crying in my driveway, looking at the reports, with a podded boat that didn’t have a motor yet 😭

Last edited:
I want to get out in my 17 foot aluminum. Never fished salt. Wondering the best area to run out of ? I want to avoid south arm fraser and north arm fraser until I get comfortable in the salt water.

Curious best launch to fish south bowen and along west van shore line ?

How bad does it get in the howe sound ? I am comfortable in my boat in 4 and 5 foot rollers on some of the big lakes in the interior and know how to handle it. Any advice or tips would be awesome.

Best launch is going to be Vanier for you for later in the spring.
4 to 5 footers in your 17 footer can be dangerous and will be dangerous for you in the ocean around Vancouver-especially off Bowen. We have strong tides and changing conditions. Howe Sound Outflows and NW winds or other combinations do not make for fun fishing.
I would recommend Horseshoe Bay for the best options and less run time in winter. Check the forecasts.

I want to get out in my 17 foot aluminum. Never fished salt. Wondering the best area to run out of ? I want to avoid south arm fraser and north arm fraser until I get comfortable in the salt water.

How bad does it get in the howe sound ? I am comfortable in my boat in 4 and 5 foot rollers on some of the big lakes in the interior and know how to handle it. Any advice or tips would be awesome.
Launch at Vanier and fish the harbour from the mile marker piles (there are two) all the way to the bell buoy. Keep to 130-150ft of water and fish just a few feet up from the bottom. If it is calm you can go beyond the bell buoy into 180-220ft of water and fish deep around 160 on the riggers. That would be the best testing ground for your first salt water fishing in my humble opinion. No need to go further afield unless it is a light wind day and then you could try the south end of Bowen. As far as I know no one fishes the arms of the Fraser until later in the year.
Good luck

Keep in mind also, it’s not just the wave height but wave duration. A 5’ wave spaced apart nicely is much different than sharp tight 5 footer with whitecaps. When Howe Sound is blowing hard northerly outflow and the straight has a strong SE that mouth area (around Passage Island) can be nasty, especially with a strong tide and vessel wakes mixed in.
Don’t let a calm day out there once give you a false sense of safety, it’s a different animal when the elements are against you.
Best to stick to the Bell & harbour for a few outings, read forecasts, and get used to it. Then like all of us, you’ll go out once when you shouldn’t and learn that lesson first hand 😉. Cheers and be safe out there.

Keep in mind also, it’s not just the wave height but wave duration. A 5’ wave spaced apart nicely is much different than sharp tight 5 footer with whitecaps. When Howe Sound is blowing hard northerly outflow and the straight has a strong SE that mouth area (around Passage Island) can be nasty, especially with a strong tide and vessel wakes mixed in.
Don’t let a calm day out there once give you a false sense of safety, it’s a different animal when the elements are against you.
Best to stick to the Bell & harbour for a few outings, read forecasts, and get used to it. Then like all of us, you’ll go out once when you shouldn’t and learn that lesson first hand 😉. Cheers and be safe out there.
yes i figured. usually when i get caught in the wind in some of the bigger lakes out here. it is rapid fire 3 to 4 footers and it gets bad enough i have to watch myself. thanks for the reply.

Went out today and caught 8 undersized chinooks around bellbuoy on a mix of lures. Hoochie, spoons and cut plug with green or blue flashers all netted fish in 110-140 fit contours. Was a great day to be out, flat calm and snowcapped peaks made up for no keepers.
Gaff releasing counts as a landed fish for those of you that still count that sort of thing.

IMG_4426.jpegIMG_4426.jpegDecent water conditions today for a run across the Strait to Gabriola. OK action for both legal and undersize….looks like the salmon sharks I encountered in the summer may still be kicking around, though all three with bite marks were from a while ago (not fresh…aka bleeding)….would be fun to actually hook one and see it up at the boat….maybe later this year…

View attachment 101538View attachment 101538Decent water conditions today for a run across the Strait to Gabriola. OK action for both legal and undersize….looks like the salmon sharks I encountered in the summer may still be kicking around, though all three with bite marks were from a while ago (not fresh…aka bleeding)….would be fun to actually hook one and see it up at the boat….maybe later this year…
I told you guys. Thanks Dave! Dragging plugs on bottom?

Landed this 76 at defense at tide today. 5” 602 at 233 on rigger in 300 fow. This was the number two of a double header but first rod fish got off before we got it to the boat. Conditions sucked but the crabbing was amazing

Attachments

• IMG_6003.jpeg
    IMG_6003.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 161
View attachment 101538View attachment 101538Decent water conditions today for a run across the Strait to Gabriola. OK action for both legal and undersize….looks like the salmon sharks I encountered in the summer may still be kicking around, though all three with bite marks were from a while ago (not fresh…aka bleeding)….would be fun to actually hook one and see it up at the boat….maybe later this year…
Well, you know what bait to use at least lol

Landed this 76 at defense at tide today. 5” 602 at 233 on rigger in 300 fow. This was the number two of a double header but first rod fish got off before we got it to the boat. Conditions sucked but the crabbing was amazing
nice fish

Whoa – just had my prawn traps lifted by persons unknown twice in the last week in Howe Sound. First time, I was a little unsure and just three prawns after 24 hour soak. The second time after another 24 hour soak was obvious - marker buoy was about 100 yards from where dropped, was tangled and the trap completely empty with a bait canister with missing lid – the prawns unscrewed it! Yeh – right!

Whoa – just had my prawn traps lifted by persons unknown twice in the last week in Howe Sound. First time, I was a little unsure and just three prawns after 24 hour soak. The second time after another 24 hour soak was obvious - marker buoy was about 100 yards from where dropped, was tangled and the trap completely empty with a bait canister with missing lid – the prawns unscrewed it! Yeh – right!
Brutal. I can't stomach the overnight sets anymore. Been doing great with shorts shifts anyway. But I get that it's nice for some folks to leave them down

Brutal. I can't stomach the overnight sets anymore. Been doing great with shorts shifts anyway. But I get that it's nice for some folks to leave them down
Yes – I think it is likely some type of feudal territorial claim; someone who thinks they have exclusive or priority rights in the area that I was prawning.

Yes – I think it is likely some type of feudal territorial claim; someone who thinks they have priority rights in the area that I was prawning.
Well, came down to the boat this morning and someone ripped off my cannon balls. Nothing else touched. Cannons hanging off every rigger in the marina. Not sure why I was targeted, but clearly a fisherman that needed them more than I did.

Sure would suck if they got some treble hooks stuck in their hand from all the fisherman getting snagged on your prawn line. Need a g.p.s to catch them pulling gear.

Back