2024 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Older report. I hit the other side down by Saturna on opening day. No luck, but a big one chased my lure to the boat and took one swipe and I missed it.

Ran across to Thrasher today. Few lings, found it to be a bit of a grind. Probably should scout a different spot or try different bait.

Also returned to find my crab traps gone. I set 5 of them. If someone happens to find some random traps floating around let me know. I suspect they were stolen. Have never had a problem with them drifting. Set by the bell.
Was dropping two traps yesterday at the mile marker by Pt Grey. The commercial traps are on a very long line, all gear is underwater with no markers we can see, with multiple traps on numerous lines in various directions. They cover a lot of area. I stayed there and kept an eye on mine as a commercial boat was hauling and setting.

Dropping sport traps on top of their gear has to be a reason many traps disappear. If so, they will probably not do us any favours. The way they seem to drag an anchor to hook their line of traps exacerbates this.

He did warn me he would be pulling a line up and it would cross my bow so I got out of his way.

Was dropping two traps yesterday at the mile marker by Pt Grey. The commercial traps are on a very long line, all gear is underwater with no markers we can see, with multiple traps on numerous lines in various directions. They cover a lot of area. I stayed there and kept an eye on mine as a commercial boat was hauling and setting.

Dropping sport traps on top of their gear has to be a reason many traps disappear. If so, they will probably not do us any favours. The way they seem to drag an anchor to hook their line of traps exacerbates this.

He did warn me he would be pulling a line up and it would cross my bow so I got out of his way.
I read the commy season doesnt open til July1?

Interesting. This seems like the most likely scenario. I find it hard to believe there's many guys out there stealing crab traps for the hell of it. They aren't worth anything and getting caught with someone's trap on your boat could be a problem.

I’ve had my crab trap floats get sucked under by tide/wind in that spot . Might be worth checking during low slack…
I've fished those traps there for years in all kinds of tides. Never an issue. Tide was pretty lite that day. Would be suprised if they were sucked under.

I've fished those traps there for years in all kinds of tides. Never an issue. Tide was pretty lite that day. Would be suprised if they were sucked under.
yes, I checked the swing of the tide yesterday for that reason, was only about 6 feet, plus in fairly shallow with 100' of leadline and lots of flotation.

Were yours well marked with contact info?

yes, I checked the swing of the tide yesterday for that reason, was only about 6 feet, plus in fairly shallow with 100' of leadline and lots of flotation.

Were yours well marked with contact info?
Yeah. Nick Sciankowy. With my phone number. Have some orange reflective tape on the red bullets. I run 100 feet as well. I've fished some big swings and they've always been there.

I'm just on bowen island ferry 5 pm in mid channel I spotted 2 white 1 red
Trap floats in a rip tide they are floating on their sides

thats completely illegal u should call the rapp line and report

Any idea what is going on with the seal colonies at Pt Atkinson? They have been there for a few days in the water, not on the rocks, they seem to be rolling on the surface in a coordinated effort as a group. Are they mating this time of year? Rental boats are stopping to watch them. Consequently, don't bother fishing around there.

Back