What’s the setup for flylining livies?

This is more complex than it needs to be. I did it this way in hopes to steer some guests into a different direction than high-grading salmon right up to the last minute at the lodge I work. Take a 15-18lb fish early, and then play around. We can measure out anything larger.

IMG_0173.jpeg

It’s pretty much the same as how party boats fish for tuna.

Except in this case I bought two spare spools that I rigged with 150ft of the heaviest sink tip I could find.

Idea is the same as mooching with live herring, only difference is the flyline carries the 6.8oz, instead of using a fixed or sliding lead.

A rod length of light leader: 12-20lbs

Snap that off before reaching the 25lb mono core of the sink tip.

Tie a loop knot or snell to your hook.

In this case I want to use circles to be better in my catch and release practises.

image.jpg

Throw or cast the livey overboard and continue to strip out line until happy.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I'm back from the Desert and now dusting the boat off getting ready to go Prawn fishing.

I have been on the DFO site for hours and they don't make it easy.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any open areas for Prawn fishing around our area.

Last year we were able to fish the pulse fishery in Subareas 17-5, 17-10 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion Stuart Channel); January, February and March 2nd half of the month.

This year it shows Subareas 19-7, 19-8 (Portion Saanich Inlet) and 23-3 (portion Alberni Inlet) will continue "pulse fishing"

Is that what you can read for Prawn fishing right now?

All areas open April 1, 2024

Thanks in advance.

Mike

****************************************************************************************************

December 01, 2023

FN1270

Recreational prawn and shrimp harvesters are advised that the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from 00:01 hours January 1, 2024, to 23:59 hours, March 31, 2024, in the following Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-12 to 13-17 (Quadra/Cortes Islands);

Subareas 15-1 to 15-3 (Powell River / Lund);

Subareas 16-1, 16-2, 16-5 to 16-11, 16-16 to 16-18 (Malaspina Strait / lower Jervis Inlet and Sechelt / Salmon Inlets);

Subareas 17-5, 17-6, 17-9 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion of Stuart Channel);

Subareas 19-9 to 19-12 (portion of Saanich Inlet);

Subareas 23-1,23-2, and 23-4 (portion Alberni Inlet / Barkley Sound);

Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Tahsis/Muchalat Inlets); and

Subarea 28-4 (portion Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2024.

Subareas 19-7, 19-8 (Portion Saanich Inlet) and 23-3 (portion Alberni Inlet) will continue "pulse fishing" (closed in the first half of the month and open in the second half of the month). These Subareas will close to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving from:

00:01 hours January 1, 2024 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2024;

00:01 hours February 1, 2024 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2024; and

00:01 hours March 1, 2024 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2024.

These areas re-open 00:01 hours March 16, 2024.

All prawns carrying eggs externally on the underside of the tail must be returned to the water immediately and in the manner that causes the least harm.

November 30, 2023

FN1356

Recreational prawn and shrimp harvesters are advised that the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from 00:01 January 1, 2023, to 23:59 March 31, 2023, in the following Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-12 to 13-17 (Quadra/Cortes Islands);
Subareas 15-1 to 15-3 (Powell River / Lund);
Subareas 16-1, 16-2, 16-5 to 16-10, 16-11, 16-16 to 16-18 (Malaspina Strait / lower Jervis Inlet and Sechelt / Salmon Inlets);
Subareas 17-5, 17-10 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion Stuart Channel);
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet / Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Tahsis/Muchalat Inlets); and
Subarea 28-1, 28-2, and 28-5 (portion Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2023.

Subareas 17-6 and 17-9 (Stuart Channel) will continue "pulse fishing" (closed in the first half of the month and open in the second half of the month). These Subareas will close to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving from:

00:01 hours January 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2023;
00:01 hours February 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2023; and
00:01 hours March 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2023.

These areas re-open 00:01 hours March 16, 2023.

All prawns carrying eggs externally on the underside of the tail must be returned to the water immediately and in the manner that causes the least harm.

Yes you right. It isn't the same as last year in Area 17. They took the pulse fishing away from those areas this time around.

This is more complex than it needs to be. I did it this way in hopes to steer some guests into a different direction than high-grading salmon right up to the last minute at the lodge I work. Take a 15-18lb fish early, and then play around. We can measure out anything larger.

View attachment 104307

Except in this case I bought two spare spools that I rigged with 150ft of the heaviest sink tip I could find.

Idea is the same as mooching with live herring, only difference is the flyline carries the 6.8oz, instead of using a fixed or sliding lead.

In this case I want to use circles to be better in my catch and release practises.

View attachment 104308

Thanks for taking the time to explain, I'll have to give that a go!

View attachment 104307

View attachment 104308

How successful have you been doing this ? Also what lodge/area

What I’m guessing happened was a few of them might’ve been snagged herring going through a school.

We fished the same area Saturday. Was testing a herring roll on blue labels, and also had a few shake and pop the clip, but when the bait came to the surface the hooks were dislodged yet no bite marks on the bait.

Would’ve called them bites had I been using hardware.

Aiming to get out again this weekend with the intention of flylining livies.
The ones I caught were at the mouth...so I don't think I snagged them.
I'll try hunting in shallower water.

Another good Sunday on the water, but another one coming in with no keepers. Just shakers like last weekend. Anyone finding anything legal size out there?

Another good Sunday on the water, but another one coming in with no keepers. Just shakers like last weekend. Anyone finding anything legal size out there?
Fished grande to whalebone this evening with my visiting old man. Endless smalls, one 65cm and another that likely would have kept but it never made it aboard. Green spoon w/black flasher and black spoon w/green flasher. Keeper was loaded with big herring.

Fished thrasher this afternoon for a few hrs. Nothing but unders. A ton of crap in the water, covered in herring eggs

Fished the Fingers on Sunday with one nice Spring around 12 lbs and another that got away. Lots of undersize as well. Shallow water seemed to be best.

First time out since September. Fished Fingers yesterday from 1 to 4pm. Lots of undersized. Riggers at 220 and 150. Both saw plenty of action. No keeper. Closest was about 57cm. It is an approximate measurement from my gaff length as the fish swims beside the boat. Spoons worked so I did not explore other offerings.

First time out since September. Fished Fingers yesterday from 1 to 4pm. Lots of undersized. Riggers at 220 and 150. Both saw plenty of action. No keeper. Closest was about 57cm. It is an approximate measurement from my gaff length as the fish swims beside the boat. Spoons worked so I did not explore other offerings.
What spoons were you using?

Any good prawning near accessible from brechin?

I’m just rocking a 14ft tinner with a 25 horse, so don’t want to get too far out there annd need to be very mindful of the weather. Any prawns that are easily accessible from brechin? So far I’ve tried around Snake island and finger islands, with no luck at all. Maybe just not landing them in the right spot? Both times were in 220-280ft of water with pellets soaked overnight in juice, and some yum yum. Landed near the bottom of a drop off with weighted traps and a 3 pound weight after the traps.

Any suggestions? Not looking for any secret spots. Just wondering if I’m wasting my time out there . Very new to this.

Thanks!

350-400’ is a good Nanaimo depth, you were almost on them in your locations.

Straight out from Charlaine boat launch in pipers should treat you good.

Back