Can someone please provide some info on where Grande is? I keep seeing it mentioned but I can't seem to find any definitive info on where that might be. I haven't fished Thrasher or that area yet and would like to try them out this year.

Can someone please provide some info on where Grande is? I keep seeing it mentioned but I can't seem to find any definitive info on where that might be. I haven't fished Thrasher or that area yet and would like to try them out this year.
The bluff just West of the entrance to Silva Bay. In tight

The big red barn is good identifier.

Went out yesterday first thing in the morning from 7 to 1030. Fished from five fingers down to Piper Lagoon. Absolutely beautiful sunny calm morning. Pretty slow for us with just three unders. Masses of amount of herring/bait, so much that my sounder would only read 30 feet at times. Lots of birds feeding. Biggest of the unders came on a large white Hoochie. Plug got no love. Talking with people at the dock they seem to share the same story which is a lot of unders. Tried fishing all depth from 70 feet down to 150.

Started yesterday at Porlier for a couple hours no action so moved to thrasher. Only one hit and it ended up being a 12lb red. Put on one hell of a fight. The water had a weird brownish colour. I’m assuming that had something to do with the lack of bites as last week we had a bunch.

Splashed the boat for the first time since late September. work has been crazy and I have been limping around on a badly stubbed toe for the last couple days so wasn't really ready, but the weather forecast today was too much to ignore. Running around like my butt was on fire this morning gearing up the boat, getting the batteries back in it, downriggers on, oil checked, trailer bearings greased blah blah blah.

Made it out though, missed high tide by about 45 minutes but the shakers were biting at fingers as soon as we got out. Probably gaff released about 7, lost count. Biggest was maybe 45 CM, but I didn't bring it in the boat to verify. All the hits for me were between 140 and 160 on the riggers. Tried running some plugs and big vintage spoons deep behind a dummy flasher to see if I could find something bigger but no hits on that side. All the shakers came in on a green and purple flasher with a silver and blue skinny g.

My first attempt at winter chinook fishing, so happy to just be on the water getting the boat dialed in for the upcoming season.

1000001463.jpg

I was out trying for herring with a sabiki rig east of Hornby. I'm curious at what depths you find success? I was only catching herring when they were right at the surface. No luck with deeper bait balls. Any tips?
Look for the spawn lines, and go in closer to shore. Just watch your sounder, and drop to bottom/work you way up. Yesterday they were on the surface all the way to bottom. I was in maybe 25ft to 35 feet of water so close in.

Spent most of saturday fishing. Beautiful conditions but probably my worst showing yet. Not a single salmon to the boat. Entrance and down towards Thrasher, various depths and gear. Clip popped a few times but never made it to the surface. Came home with one less cannonball and the tablet I use for nav decided to pack it in. Threw a sabiki rig into a small bait ball near entrance just so I could say I saw a fish.

What I’m guessing happened was a few of them might’ve been snagged herring going through a school.

We fished the same area Saturday. Was testing a herring roll on blue labels, and also had a few shake and pop the clip, but when the bait came to the surface the hooks were dislodged yet no bite marks on the bait.

Would’ve called them bites had I been using hardware.

Aiming to get out again this weekend with the intention of flylining livies.

Last edited:
From what I found yesterday the running big stuff is great because there is herring spawn, but the bigger spring was on a really small coho killer closer in where the herring was pushed up at Five fingers. I think it's more about finding where they are. Not sure if I would have gone way down to Thrasher/Entrance area right now. I ran a few plugs yesterday, and nothing. Everything else on really small spoons.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I'm back from the Desert and now dusting the boat off getting ready to go Prawn fishing.

I have been on the DFO site for hours and they don't make it easy.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any open areas for Prawn fishing around our area.

Last year we were able to fish the pulse fishery in Subareas 17-5, 17-10 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion Stuart Channel); January, February and March 2nd half of the month.

This year it shows Subareas 19-7, 19-8 (Portion Saanich Inlet) and 23-3 (portion Alberni Inlet) will continue "pulse fishing"

Is that what you can read for Prawn fishing right now?

All areas open April 1, 2024

Thanks in advance.

Mike

****************************************************************************************************

December 01, 2023

FN1270

Recreational prawn and shrimp harvesters are advised that the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from 00:01 hours January 1, 2024, to 23:59 hours, March 31, 2024, in the following Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-12 to 13-17 (Quadra/Cortes Islands);

Subareas 15-1 to 15-3 (Powell River / Lund);

Subareas 16-1, 16-2, 16-5 to 16-11, 16-16 to 16-18 (Malaspina Strait / lower Jervis Inlet and Sechelt / Salmon Inlets);

Subareas 17-5, 17-6, 17-9 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion of Stuart Channel);

Subareas 19-9 to 19-12 (portion of Saanich Inlet);

Subareas 23-1,23-2, and 23-4 (portion Alberni Inlet / Barkley Sound);

Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Tahsis/Muchalat Inlets); and

Subarea 28-4 (portion Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2024.

Subareas 19-7, 19-8 (Portion Saanich Inlet) and 23-3 (portion Alberni Inlet) will continue "pulse fishing" (closed in the first half of the month and open in the second half of the month). These Subareas will close to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving from:

00:01 hours January 1, 2024 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2024;

00:01 hours February 1, 2024 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2024; and

00:01 hours March 1, 2024 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2024.

These areas re-open 00:01 hours March 16, 2024.

All prawns carrying eggs externally on the underside of the tail must be returned to the water immediately and in the manner that causes the least harm.

November 30, 2023

FN1356

Recreational prawn and shrimp harvesters are advised that the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from 00:01 January 1, 2023, to 23:59 March 31, 2023, in the following Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations:

Subareas 13-1, 13-12 to 13-17 (Quadra/Cortes Islands);
Subareas 15-1 to 15-3 (Powell River / Lund);
Subareas 16-1, 16-2, 16-5 to 16-10, 16-11, 16-16 to 16-18 (Malaspina Strait / lower Jervis Inlet and Sechelt / Salmon Inlets);
Subareas 17-5, 17-10 to 17-13, 17-15, 17-16, 17-18 (Nanaimo and portion Stuart Channel);
Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet / Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Tahsis/Muchalat Inlets); and
Subarea 28-1, 28-2, and 28-5 (portion Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2023.

Subareas 17-6 and 17-9 (Stuart Channel) will continue "pulse fishing" (closed in the first half of the month and open in the second half of the month). These Subareas will close to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving from:

00:01 hours January 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2023;
00:01 hours February 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2023; and
00:01 hours March 1, 2023 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2023.

These areas re-open 00:01 hours March 16, 2023.

All prawns carrying eggs externally on the underside of the tail must be returned to the water immediately and in the manner that causes the least harm.

What I’m guessing happened was a few of them might’ve been snagged herring going through a school.

We fished the same area Saturday. Was testing a herring roll on blue labels, and also had a few shake and pop the clip, but when the bait came to the surface the hooks were dislodged yet no bite marks on the bait.

Would’ve called them bites had I been using hardware.

Aiming to get out again this weekend with the intention of flylining livies.
What’s the setup for flylining livies?

Back