2024 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

There's been discussion on this forum before. I was brought believing that halibut fishing in Georgia was historical, but in the past 10 years or have heard that some guys have started to find them -- have heard nothing about locations.

There's been discussion on this forum before. I was brought believing that halibut fishing in Georgia was historical, but in the past 10 years or have heard that some guys have started to find them -- have heard nothing about locations.
A buddy caught a 53# hali out past the N. end of Copeland Islands while cruising last summer, fishing from his inflatable tender.

There definitely are halibut in our area but as I tell my wife no concentrations that would make you specifically target hali,s like on the WCVI. I catch 2 or 3 a year because I jig most of the time and they are an incidental catch. You might fish the last spot you caught one and not catch another for the season. Nice surprise though!

I think Dogfish are the biggest reason nobody targets them on the inside, since conventionally most use bait for Hali. People do get them incidentally, and saw one taken on the troll at the Kitty humps last July.

i know a guy that gets them on the regular. he won’t tell me where but he sed deeeeeeeeeep like 350 plus feet. i’m good: i like ling cod better anyway and they’re everywhere

i know a guy that gets them on the regular. he won’t tell me where but he sed deeeeeeeeeep like 350 plus feet. i’m good: i like ling cod better anyway and they’re everywhere
I feel the same way. I'd rather try for some black cod if I'm messing around like that

1000002968.jpg

Out at Kitty this morning with my Grandson and Son -in-law - perfect day, 17 degrees and flat calm. Lots of undersize but 4 nice fish. Two we took home.
210 feet and 4" herring aid spoon. Their stomachs were full of euphasids.

Anyone finding the fish between Comox and Qualicum? In two outings south-east of Hornby, not a sniff. Bait is there, but no springs biting.

Sun. picked up a nice 16 at Kitty hump-240 on 3;5 herring aide and a few smalls-lots of bait-alone at Kitty yesterday until a blue bayliner showed at 11. Lots of fish on the high tide-I got 12=my arm was tired all around 2-5 lbs. Very deep on a herring aid colored flashtail-by myself so only fishing one rod. No keepers and don't believe I touched one. I'll give it a rest for a few days-see if another wave comes in.

Back