Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished the Victoria waterfront today from 7 to 1115. Got out there and on the first pass got a fish on and lost it at the boat. I guess I should have shown the guy (from Toronto) how to use the rod and reel sooner.

Then from 715 to 1030 nothing but rocking and rolling in the waves. 1030 got a 8lb in the boat. It was slow and we never saw a net out on any of the 12 boats out fishing.

Fished in 100 ft of water, 65 ft on the DR and used bait.
It was strange weather. I left the waterfront to go to east sooke. Waterfront was waves and choppy. Once past race rocks it was nice and calm

Why don't you launch from cheanauh marina instead of esquimalt anglers. U just wasting fuel for your boat
As purplemonkey said my boat is in Victoria harbour.

I’ve done the math in time it would take to pull the boat, trailer drive to sooke, launch, fish, reload then drive back and relaunch the boat from dock to dock. Maybe 1 hour 15 min.

But only takes me about 35 minutes to motor to beachy.

I’d save a little bit on gas but waste more time and hassle.

…. Plus I don’t own a tow vehicle yet.

My boat isn’t too bad on gas being a welded aluminum with a SHO 90 VMAX

Overall more convenient motoring.

Popped up on my feed this morning.
Does the annual pass include parking?
Very cheap parking in Victoria if it does. 🤔

Screenshot_20230920_051620_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
The parking is strictly for boat trailers and tow vehicles. There will be signs stating that.
What about roof racks and others whose boats don't require trailers. Will they have something for your dash or window?
Street parking is time restricted.
towingrig.jpg

Last edited:
There will be 5 or 6 spots for roof top vehicles, paddle boards, kayaks etc. Strictly boat ramp users. GVHA will monitor the lot as well as Robbins .street parking is all residential and the residents constantly call parking complaints in on ramp users who park on the street.

Anyone finding any coho around the waterfront or out toward Constance? Thinking of giving it a try this weekend.
Beautiful day on the water, but not much in the water. We launched at Esquimalt at 9:30 today and trolled the waterfront for a couple of hours, not a sniff; then headed out to Albert Head for another hour, not a sniff; headed back to the waterfront for another try, still not a sniff, trolled out as far as the Pilot/Quarantine buoy, one bite that didn't set (pink and blue UV squirt at 70' on the DR), stuck around the are for a half hour, nothing, then trolled in to the Flagpole and then along the waterfront back to Esquimalt at 4:30. Fished from 30' to 90' on the DR; fished spoons, bait, squirts. Did see arcs on the fish finder, but nothing seemed interested in a bite. The water was very smooth and lots of krill and pelagic shrimp in the water column, and some sign of jelly fish on the DR. I believe that there was some success with Halibut out in the usual places.

Beautiful day on the water, but not much in the water. We launched at Esquimalt at 9:30 today and trolled the waterfront for a couple of hours, not a sniff; then headed out to Albert Head for another hour, not a sniff; headed back to the waterfront for another try, still not a sniff, trolled out as far as the Pilot/Quarantine buoy, one bite that didn't set (pink and blue UV squirt at 70' on the DR), stuck around the are for a half hour, nothing, then trolled in to the Flagpole and then along the waterfront back to Esquimalt at 4:30. Fished from 30' to 90' on the DR; fished spoons, bait, squirts. Did see arcs on the fish finder, but nothing seemed interested in a bite. The water was very smooth and lots of krill and pelagic shrimp in the water column, and some sign of jelly fish on the DR. I believe that there was some success with Halibut out in the usual places.
Thanks for the report Mark I was thinking of getting my boat dirty tomorrow now I might just work on the honey do list

Thanks for the report! If it’s nice I might give it a try. I’d go to Sooke instead but I have to stay close to home this weekend.

Fished Constance Bank for Halibut yesterday and not a sniff. Saw a few other boats out there as well so maybe someone got lucky. We did manage to pull up a decent sized octopus, but other than that, not even a dogfish. Very quiet but an awesome day nonetheles.

Fished Constance Bank for Halibut yesterday and not a sniff. Saw a few other boats out there as well so maybe someone got lucky. We did manage to pull up a decent sized octopus, but other than that, not even a dogfish. Very quiet but an awesome day nonetheles.
Anchored off the mud flats today in 310 feet of water. We only got one hit for the day, but it was a good one -125cm and 60 pounds. No dogs, rats, or skates.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Not a bad way to start fall; finally getting one in the net. :D
A 10 lb wild Coho on an anchovy in 110' of water off Saxe Point. :cool:
He swam away. I have my doubts he'll be there on October 1st. 🤔
Screenshot from 2023-09-23 12-10-42.png

I was there. One dog and a rat that’s it.

Oak Bay area for what turned out to be a pretty nice couple of hours on the water jigging for Lings. Ended up with a couple around the 75 cm. Cods stomachs had big chunks of octopus tentacle in them. Only a couple of smaller lings, grayling and flounder as bycatch.

Oak Bay area for what turned out to be a pretty nice couple of hours on the water jigging for Lings. Ended up with a couple around the 75 cm. Cods stomachs had big chunks of octopus tentacle in them. Only a couple of smaller lings, grayling and flounder as bycatch.
What is grayling is that a greenling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back