Status
Not open for further replies.
Launched at Esquimalt around 8:00 and headed out to the 100' water, ran one line at 35' with a short skirt squirt (white with a pink head) and a deeper line at 66' with a 5" spoon with a lime yellow edge. The yield was a little spring and a smiley, 12 lbs (seemed bigger), the bigger fish hooked up off the green can buoy around 9:30, on the deeper line. 6 pinks throughout the morning and several long line releases, (switched the squirt to one with a single large hook which seemed to lock the fish on a little better). This part of the year seems to be one for the records.
Congrats on the “Smiley”! For the younger people on here, a “Smiley” is a 25# plus Chinook. I was told that back in the day, catching a Smiley put a smile on a commercial trollers face. Many years ago I knew a guy in Bamfield that had a boat called The Smiley.
Stosh

Wednesday evening was slow out Esquimalt. I had one missed hit 5 mins in and that was it. Only heard of a couple of fish though apparently earlier in the day more toward OB was good.
Shared a beautiful Summer evening with many other boats.

Lots of fish caught today,nets were out when I got there about 7:00. Three springs today and my first oversize (over 90 cm.)
We saw a number of springs caught. One spectacular jumper lost by lads right at the net.🙈🙊🙉😵‍💫
Another oversize returned to the briny by folks who barely could lift the net. 😢
Good times in spite of "only" bringing pinks to the boat. 🙄

It wasn’t you Rob. I know your boat and it’s not black

My Lund is black with a 30 etec but I was in Oliver roasting my nuts off in 40 degree heat the day of the offense so it wasent me. Although I would have much rather been on the water but I tend to look where I’m going :)

Is it not 45 to 80cm slot size
My Lund is black with a 30 etec but I was in Oliver roasting my nuts off in 40 degree heat the day of the offense so it wasent me. Although I would have much rather been on the water but I tend to look where I’m going :)
And nobody calls you tin boat. It is in my name. 😂😂

I released an 82 cm yesterday at OB flats- that had been previously released by an orca.. teeth wounds on both sides - still bleeding. Could have been another mammal - but quite the gashes. Good fishing for me at 85 feet with bait. Spoon on one side, bait on the other and 4 of 5 spring bites were on bait

Short work this morning off McCauley and Green buoy. We started 6:30, 2 springs in boat by 7. Both on bait @60'. Switched to coho gear but couldn't find one, just one pink and released another nice spring. Both were females with empty stomachs. 10 days ago off waterfront we got 3 hatchery springs and their stomachs were full. Are they now stopping feeding getting ready to spawn. 2 springs Victoria.jpg

Fished from 7:45 to 2:00 today out in front of Fleming, not sure the terms as this was my first go out here. Handful of pinks to the boat most were in the 50cm-60cm range lost 2 good chinooks at the boat. All the action for us was 11am-2pm. Was having a hard time figuring out where everyone was going on there tacks hopefully didn’t get into to many peoples way !

Story time… (it’s been a while since I shared one of these but this was memorable) *skip if you don’t want to read a long post*

Title - “I felt like a fish burglar…”

(the names and times have been obscured to protect me in case my wife reads this one day 😉)

this past week I had to go down to the boat club to get ice for some visiting friends who were heading up island early that morning. I had taken them out the previous day and got them into lots of pinks and even a Chinook . We must have played about 15 pinks but only retained 6 because they didn’t need that many fish with them on their trip.

So I was going to wake up just before they left and get fresh ice. But I woke up a bit earlier. In my comfortable bed a little devil-fish appears on my shoulder and whispers “you could got out and fish for 40 minutes if you go down a bit early”. I was like “nope, I went fishing yesterday and I told the wife we were going to hang out today.

Well the little devil-fish says, “if you come back before she wakes up then you are still keeping your promise right? No one is being hurt? Everyone gets what they want!”

Since the little devil-fish sitting on my shoulder made a good point, I got up quietly and left to go for the boat.

I quickly got it ready and headed out to the waterfront.

I left the dock at 6am, took a picture of the city and the rising sun at 6:01am as I was heading to the green can. To my (not-too) surprise, there were a fair amount of boats already out.

As I approached the area I set up gear and thought… ok 30-45 minutes of trolling and I’ll head back to the dock. Gives me enough time to clean up and get home with none the wiser.

I expected to maybe grab a few pinks and that would be it…. But fate had a different plan for me…

I set my first rod down with my favourite AP spoon then went to set the other. Got both rods in the water and eased back to enjoy the quiet morning. The water was glass… the rising sun was pushing a brilliant orange on the horizon, chasing away the deep blue/purple of twilight.

As I start to check and see how long till I get into the Congo line of boats, I see my starboard side rod get a tug, tug, tug. Thinking it’s a pink I grab the rod…. as I put my hands on the paddle to wind down on the clip…. BAM!!! …the reel starts screaming and my hands get a taste of “knuckle busting” from my TMX 5 as mine is peeling out rapidly.

The pull of the fish is harsh and violent. I palm the reel and let it run as my subconscious reaction takes over because I’m still in disbelief.

An epic battle of man vs beast ensues…. I reel in, let the fish run, and try to bring in my other rod up as well the downriggers and steer with one had when it’s free in between reeling and fighting the fish while holding the rod with the other.

I try to keep good tension on the fish as I do all this one-handed, nervous I’ll lose the fish anytime I have to do something other then fight the fish.

Then the line goes a bit slack and my heat sinks as I think it’s got off…. But I never give up on a fish and stop reeling till I see the flasher and lure… so I bring in the line as fast as I can… then the tug is back and the full weight of the fish is there… the beast had been charging the boat.

Once the pull of the lure is there again the fish takes off again, the reel screams it’s song and the rod bends. Back and forth it goes but by bit till I see the flasher pop and I hold my breath to see if it gets off. It’s still on and I see a large fin break the surface.

This fish does not come in easy but over time with some back and forth, I get it near the boat, My arms are tiring… I slowly grab my net with my free hand, holding my breath as I bring the fish in for the finale…. Gently, slowly I bring the net closer the fish senses it and takes off again. Back and forth we dance a few more times till I see the beast turn sideways so I take my chance! I get the right position and quickly net it….. YES!!!!! I yell “WOOOoooOOO!

Measured and It was a keeper so that meant I was done.

I packed up my riggers and headed in. Back at the dock I looked at the time… it was 635am… (35 minutes total time dock to dock)

Cleaned up and made it home before anyone except my kid was up… it was almost like a dream. I had an unexplained smile on my face the rest of that morning.

P.s. Fish was caught on a spoon at 45ft on the rigger

Attachments

• A9D2FC02-68E8-4506-A45B-A2F63AD0A501.jpeg
    A9D2FC02-68E8-4506-A45B-A2F63AD0A501.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 9DF33EBF-4B85-494C-8968-59803C65CAB0.jpeg
    9DF33EBF-4B85-494C-8968-59803C65CAB0.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I felt like a fish burglar… (the names and times have been obscured to protect me in case my wife reads this one day)

this past week I had to go down to the boat club to get ice for some visiting friends who were heading up island early that morning. I had taken them out the previous day and got them into lots of pinks and even a Chinook . We must have played about 15 pinks but only retained 6 because they didn’t need that many fish with them on their trip.

So I was going to wake up just before they left and get fresh ice. But I woke up a bit earlier. In my comfortable bed a little devil-fish appears on my shoulder and whispers “you could got out and fish for 40 minutes if you go down a bit early”. I was like “nope, I went fishing yesterday and I told the wife we were going to hang out today.

Well the little devil-fish says, “well if you come back before she wakes up then you are still keeping your promise right? No one is being hurt? Everyone gets what they want!”

Since the little devil-fish sitting on my shoulder made a good point, I got up quietly and left to go for the boat.

I left the dock at 6am, took a picture of the city and the rising sun at 601am as I was heading to the green can. To my (not-too) surprise there were a fair amount of boats already out.

As I approached the area I set up gear and thought… ok 30-45 minutes of trolling and I’ll head back to the dock. Gives me enough time to clean up and get home with none the wiser.

I expected to maybe grab a few pinks and that would be it…. But fate had a different plan for me…

I set my first rod down with my favourite AP spoon then went to set the other. Got both rods in the water and eased back to enjoy the quiet morning. The water was glass… the rising sun was pushing orange in the horizon and chaining away the deep blue-purple of twilight.

As I start to check and see how long till I get into the Congo line of boats, I see my starboard side rod get a tug, tug, tug. Thinking it’s a pink I grab the rod and as I put my hands on the paddle to wind down on the clip the reel starts screaming and my hands get a taste of the “knuckle busting” from my TMX 5.

The pull of the fish is harsh and violent. I palm the reel and let it run as my subconscious reaction takes over because I’m still in disbelief.

An epic battle of man and beast ensues as I reel in, let the fish run, and try to bring in my other rod, up the downriggers and steer.

I try to keep good tension on the fish as I do all this one-handed, nervous I’ll lose the fish anytime I have to do something other then fight the fish.

Then the line goes a bit slack and my heat sinks as I think it’s got off…. But I never give up on a fish and stop reeling till I see the flasher and lure… so I bring in the line as fast as I can… then the tug is back and the full weight of the fish is there… the beast had been charging the boat.

Once the pull of the lure is there again the fish takes off again, the reel screams it’s song and the rod bends. Back and forth it goes but by bit till I see the flasher pop and I hold my breath to see if it gets off. It’s still on and I see a large fin break the surface. This fish does not come in easy but over time I get it hear the boat, I slowly grab my net with my free hand, holding my breath as I bring the fish in for the finale…. Gently, slowly I bring the net closer the fish senses it and takes off again. Back and forth we dance a few more times till I see the beast turn sideways. I get the right position and quickly net it….. YES!!!!! I yell “WOOOoooOOO!

I packed up my riggers and headed in. Back at the dock I looked at the time… it was 635am…

Cleaned up and made it home before anyone except my kid was up… it was almost like a dream. I had an unexplained smile on my face the rest of that morning.

That’s gonna go down as an all time memory and an all time amazing post! Nailed it!!!

Story time… (it’s been a while since I shared one of these but this was memorable) *skip if you don’t want to read a long post*

Title - “I felt like a fish burglar…”

(the names and times have been obscured to protect me in case my wife reads this one day 😉)

Well the little devil-fish says, “if you come back before she wakes up then you are still keeping your promise right? No one is being hurt? Everyone gets what they want!”

I left the dock at 6am, took a picture of the city and the rising sun at 6:01am as I was heading to the green can. To my (not-too) surprise, there were a fair amount of boats already out.

I set my first rod down with my favourite AP spoon then went to set the other. Got both rods in the water and eased back to enjoy the quiet morning. The water was glass… the rising sun was pushing a brilliant orange on the horizon, chasing away the deep blue/purple of twilight.

As I start to check and see how long till I get into the Congo line of boats, I see my starboard side rod get a tug, tug, tug. Thinking it’s a pink I grab the rod…. as I put my hands on the paddle to wind down on the clip…. BAM!!! …the reel starts screaming and my hands get a taste of “knuckle busting” from my TMX 5 as mine is peeling out rapidly.

An epic battle of man vs beast ensues…. I reel in, let the fish run, and try to bring in my other rod up as well the downriggers and steer with one had when it’s free in between reeling and fighting the fish while holding the rod with the other.

Once the pull of the lure is there again the fish takes off again, the reel screams it’s song and the rod bends. Back and forth it goes but by bit till I see the flasher pop and I hold my breath to see if it gets off. It’s still on and I see a large fin break the surface.

This fish does not come in easy but over time with some back and forth, I get it near the boat, My arms are tiring… I slowly grab my net with my free hand, holding my breath as I bring the fish in for the finale…. Gently, slowly I bring the net closer the fish senses it and takes off again. Back and forth we dance a few more times till I see the beast turn sideways so I take my chance! I get the right position and quickly net it….. YES!!!!! I yell “WOOOoooOOO!

I packed up my riggers and headed in. Back at the dock I looked at the time… it was 635am… (35 minutes total time dock to dock)

All the guilt dissappears when you nail it like that.

Out off Esquimalt, apparently not first thing as the parking lot was full. A ton of boats right out front Maccauley and Saxe pts. but heavy debris line blocked my favourite depth. Didn't see much going on. So headed over to Brotchie. Saw a boat with a fish on around 0700. Shortly after a good strike and ended up releasing a ~8 Lb'r. Soon as I got the gear down and was ready to circle back another hit. Felt good so after the fish calmed down a bit, put the rod back in the holder and quickly boated all the other gear. Decent scrap ending with me tapping a 79 cm, weighed at 13 lb 10 oz.

Yes, it sure is frustrating being that lone angler doing donuts. 70' herring aide spoon.

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_072735242.jpg
    IMG_20230820_072735242.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back