Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you guys keeping the Pinks off while searching for Springs? I’ve been fishing structure and keeping close to bottom and still getting Pinks 😂

Fished the Vic waterfront today, started at 620 with about 10 boats. between 630 and 730 had two springs on and lost them but we saw other boats landing springs . 8 to 10 was pinks and wild Coho everywhere. 11 to 1130 landed two 10lb springs and went in.

At the peak I counted 27 boats and like post I've read some going ever direction. Spring were caught in 100 ft of water and 60 ft on the DR with bait.

Took my brother-in-law from N Carolina out this morning from 10 to noon for a shake down run. He's never fished in BC's coastal water before. He lost a fish right away.
After explaining about fishing with barbless hooks, he was into another good fish, only to have me run over his line with the electric motor. (My lame excuse was I'm used to rowing.) Managed to snap the line between the rod and motor. 🙄 Luckily retrieved the line from the motor and started to handline the gear in. Felt a hit and pulling as I was bringing it up. Couldn't keep the pressure on.
Retied the gear and he landed 3 pinks (3, 4 &5) before we headed in. Someone's looking forward to Wednesday.
Resized_20230814_131509.jpeg

I've noticed few crab traps out. Not worth it until September?

Took my brother-in-law from N Carolina out this morning from 10 to noon for a shake down run. He's never fished in BC's coastal water before. He lost a fish right away.
After explaining about fishing with barbless hooks, he was into another good fish, only to have me run over his line with the electric motor. (My lame excuse was I'm used to rowing.) Managed to snap the line between the rod and motor. 🙄 Luckily retrieved the line from the motor and started to handline the gear in. Felt a hit and pulling as I was bringing it up. Couldn't keep the pressure on.
Retied the gear and he landed 3 pinks (3, 4 &5) before we headed in. Someone's looking forward to Wednesday.
View attachment 96356

I've noticed few crab traps out. Not worth it until September?
Saw you out there,it looked like he was using a heavy halibut rod,I was surprised to see the electric motor .

I've been out a few times the past few days and have had good success with getting nice size slot limit chinook. Can't recall this much good fishing in the waterfront before (but I've only been boat fishing for about 4 years (before that I was a shore fisherman and kayak fisherman).

Can't complain about not having to go to sooke and saving gas.

Been getting success at 45-55ft on the rigger in 80-160ft of water. (so basically all over). sometimes I go deeper but it doesn't seem to be as productive.

I'm getting good hits on AP spoon and Skinny G. Not using bait because I'm lazy/cheap/unskilled... (and did I mention lazy?). Funny thing is I switched to larger spoon and the damn pinks still hit....

Can anyone who has fished the victoria waterfront for a long time tell me if this is an unusually good year? Or is me and that that I suck less this year?

I've been out a few times the past few days and have had good success with getting nice size slot limit chinook. Can't recall this much good fishing in the waterfront before (but I've only been boat fishing for about 4 years (before that I was a shore fisherman and kayak fisherman).

Can't complain about not having to go to sooke and saving gas.

Been getting success at 45-55ft on the rigger in 80-160ft of water. (so basically all over). sometimes I go deeper but it doesn't seem to be as productive.

I'm getting good hits on AP spoon and Skinny G. Not using bait because I'm lazy/cheap/unskilled... (and did I mention lazy?). Funny thing is I switched to larger spoon and the damn pinks still hit....

Can anyone who has fished the victoria waterfront for a long time tell me if this is an unusually good year? Or is me and that that I suck less this year?
Best in the 6 yrs when we had Net pens in our Area , don’t know where these guys from 🐟

Saw you out there,it looked like he was using a heavy halibut rod,I was surprised to see the electric motor .
Close, but not quite. It's my cod jigging, salmon deep line rod. I don't use a downrigger, so it has to handle up to 16 ounces of weight and a flasher.
Brought my lake boat out as it was so calm. Even at that we took a little water over the back when one of the commercial boats went past.
I'll need to build something with more freeboard this winter. 😁

Caught two little slot fish 55’ and 75’ around 12-1pm off the breakwater. One on rubber the other on metal. Perfect size for kids, my 6 year old was part of the performance in landing both.

Are these net pen returns? Like others, ours were identical in size, unclipped.

Marked fish all over at 30 - 45'; highest concentration at 120-150 ' depth between Macaulay point and the green can. 🚣‍♂️
Lost a nice one around 8 am, then nabbed this 7 lber (65 cm) on my way in. :rolleyes:
Made for a yummy lunch. :cool:
View attachment 96301
Nice work! I saw you out there Sunday. You’re possibly the only guy out there getting a workout in while you fish! Lol! I’ve got the 16’ Harbercraft with a blue top.

Did you have any bites? I was out at noon or so and had one good hit and my friend landed a nice 12 lb white spring. A fellow at the dock said he caught a couple of pinks mid morning.

Started about 6 am at Clover Point and immediately had two unmarked coho we let go. Proceeded to load the tub with pinks, despite several long line releases and a few small springs and pinks let go at the boat, plus one more coho released. Left two slots for springs but as they failed to hook up by 9:45 we took two more pinks and headed in at 10. Weather could not be better. Love these fishy August days on the water.

Launched at Esquimalt around 8:00 and headed out to the 100' water, ran one line at 35' with a short skirt squirt (white with a pink head) and a deeper line at 66' with a 5" spoon with a lime yellow edge. The yield was a little spring and a smiley, 12 lbs (seemed bigger), the bigger fish hooked up off the green can buoy around 9:30, on the deeper line. 6 pinks throughout the morning and several long line releases, (switched the squirt to one with a single large hook which seemed to lock the fish on a little better). This part of the year seems to be one for the records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back