Status
Not open for further replies.
It may have been a seal or sea lion pulled it off,but if so it did it very quietly ,I didn't hear or see anything.I can't see how it could split it's jaw to get out of the rope on it's own,their very tough jawed.Rope loop was still intact.

No halibut today but a couple of legal lings and rock fish. Crabbing was poor.

The VK marker of Fulford reef is absent. Don't be cutting that corner to close on low tide.
Interesting I noticed that today as well. Its either drifted away or been replaced. But I did notice there is another new Marker off Discovery? Not sure what's its marking? But Could that be Fulford Reef Marker. Anyone know why that Marker is off Discovery now? Looks to be marking a reef about 65 Ft?

Interesting I noticed that today as well. Its either drifted away or been replaced. But I did notice there is another new Marker off Discovery? Not sure what's its marking? But Could that be Fulford Reef Marker. Anyone know why that Marker is off Discovery now? Looks to be marking a reef about 65 Ft?
Is it a tall marker? I was fishing southwest or Discovery and could see a new marker off the southeast side , looked fairly close in.

Is it a tall marker? I was fishing southwest or Discovery and could see a new marker off the southeast side , looked fairly close in.
Yeah. I just assumed they had taken it in for maintenance. Must have broken free. It was the NE corner marker of the RCA.

Yeah. I just assumed they had taken it in for maintenance. Must have broken free. It was the NE corner marker of the RCA.
Yup , broke free last Monday , been dragging around Seabird Point area. Deep Sea will probably hit it. CCG knows about it.

Yup , broke free last Monday , been dragging around Seabird Point area. Deep Sea will probably hit it. CCG knows about it.
Ok thanks. Strange Coast Guard would not deal with it right away? Particularly because Fulford Reef has no marker. Hopefully no one passes thru there!

Started about 0900 off Oak Bay. Managed to find a good spot that was loaded with springs. Released two small clipped of about 5lbs and lost another much better fish all within 45 mins . . . and then they were gone. Did a circuit around the Discovery and Chain Islets group poking at several reefs. Couldn't find any significant bait anywhere. Several small lings and rockfish but nothing died today.

The untethered marker buoy was leaning over about 500m East of the Discovery Lighthouse today.

yep saw it on friday, surprised me as well. navionics has it tagged as RVYC8.
Released a nice wild around #17, and my buddy long line released another in the gap.
The VK bout is on the other side of the island. Rvyc8 has been on location west of discovery for 5 or 6 yrs now.

Anchored off Pedder Bay yesterday – flat calm……and very hot. It was very slow in the morning. Only one dog, a small skate, and a ratfish bitten in clean in half. Finally in the afternoon, the rod went down hard into the water – a 37 pound, 111cm halibut. Interestingly, the halibut had several small skeletons of bottom fish and a couple of rocks in the stomach!

The commercial prawn guys are back, setting up off Pedder Bay, and a string starting at the inner harbor and across Esquimalt, on the 200 foot contour. Not good for the halibut derby!

Last edited:
Anchored off Pedder Bay yesterday – flat calm……and very hot. It was very slow in the morning. Only one dog, a small skate, and a ratfish bitten in clean in half. Finally in the afternoon, the rod went down hard into the water – a 37 pound, 111cm halibut. Interestingly, the halibut had several small skeletons of bottom fish and a couple of rocks in the stomach!

The commercial prawn guys are back, setting up off Pedder Bay, and a string starting at the inner harbor and across Esquimalt, on the 200 foot contour. Not good for the halibut derby!
A lot of extra smell in the water! Probably bring a bunch into there

Headed out for some clipped Chinook today, started off quite foggy so trolled off Esquimalt, without any results. When the fog lifted decided to give Constance a try and the Solunar Table delivered. Two nice clipped Chinook (6 or 7 lbs) just as suggested by Solunar. Skinny G in No Bananas did the trick, around 100 ft on the riggers in 110 ft of water. Noticed other boats fishing in the shallower water on the centre of the bank. We also had one smaller which we released to fatten up for another time.

Similar day for us as we launched just before you and started off Esq due to the fog but we had a bite and released a small one but at 10:45 off Mcaulay my new starboard rod smashed off the clip. A few solid runs and some of the most crazy head shaking I’ve ever seen. Slow but steady and poof a 14 lb unicorn hatch. We also went out to Constance and fished away from the small group but had a good variety of fish. Few 6lbs springs, a rockfish & 4 undersized ling cods. Crab pot had only 2 lousy softies. Another stellar day to be on the water.

Attachments

• 01E6531C-A357-4774-9FCA-8D9A099D9389.jpeg
    01E6531C-A357-4774-9FCA-8D9A099D9389.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 65
Got the boat back in after a couple weeks for bottoms paint etc. Picked up the wife n kid from the marina and made quick work of dinner! Lookin forward to being back on the water

Attachments

• FC8418FC-4091-4B59-88BE-6B0963A8125B.jpeg
    FC8418FC-4091-4B59-88BE-6B0963A8125B.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 06F24AD3-D2F1-47ED-B01F-F7DC4C0084EB.jpeg
    06F24AD3-D2F1-47ED-B01F-F7DC4C0084EB.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 126
Lost my crab trap by Willows yesterday. Red/white float with name and number (fading). Trap is a round stainless. Recovery would be much appreciated and rewarded! 🍺 Thanks!

Hit the flats after school time today with my son. 2.5 hours of nothing doing but the water was nice, the wind was down, and it was not a bad way to round off the day at all. (Fishing Golden Betsy flashers with wee-g and skinny-g herring aid patterns at about 100-110' on the downrigger, from Brodie Rock over towards Discover and back.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back