2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a nice spring at Amphitrite point, handed it to my 70 year old father in law and it was peeling line. He stuck with it and had the biggest fish of his life in the net 10 minutes later.

One more as we cleaned up just a 10lber or so. Ran to Amphitrite Point and threw down a white hootchy and my son was on within a couple minutes, two speed slow pitch rod and reel worked like a charm. 97cm Hali in the boat and a pretty excited 6 year old. Trolled for another half hour without any bites but gear was a little tangled, so could have been more out there. Had a little whale show, as we cleaned up with the engines off and then headed home.
Nice work. Amphitrite bank or point for the hali?

We decided to come to ukee last minute and I’m glad we did, the fishing is insane, 5 double headers, lots of teens and low twenties. We are sleeping in and getting out late and still limiting four licences in under 2 hours. This is what they say it was like 50 years ago. Only two days in of our 6 day family trip looks like we need to stop fishing and go eat some crab on some beach somewhere. 🏝️ Really loving Ukee.

Did the water ever clear up? It was the color of glacial runoff when we were there. Totally screwed the bucktailing for coho

Red can and Wya.
Still strong for spings and coho!!
9 spings and 3 Hatch coho (8:30-11:00am) at Wya.

Our other group was 8 springs and 2 coho from red can.

This evening, Wya gave us another 2 spings (6-7:30pm)

Lots of catch and release for us happening.

Red can and Wya.
Still strong for spings and coho!!
9 spings and 3 Hatch coho (8:30-11:00am) at Wya.

Our other group was 8 springs and 2 coho from red can.

This evening, Wya gave us another 2 spings (6-7:30pm)

Lots of catch and release for us happening.
Glad to hear. I'm taking some friends out Friday - Saturday. Historically, I've found it to be really tough fishing labour day weekend. Fingers crossed it says hot.

Swells were up at Wya, so we found our chinooks about 100m out rather than scary tight in the foam. Tiny needlefish in some bellies. Got a few on anchovies and 6 on a 3.5 inch fat Tomic silver with gold scale tape spoon that doesn't match the hatch at all. They were hungry first light and around 4-6pm today and Saturday. Sunday was a crap conditions day, so tried Chrow for not much and did family stuff. Done for the year.

Thinking of doing one more Halibut trip to Ukee. Have never fished for them so late. Is there still good Hali fishing mid Sept? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Yeah, you gotta get lucky to hit a patch of fish end of September on the beach. She's slowing right now. Ling fishing picks up and there's halis on the bank.
The wildcard and most important piece is really weather. 50% chance it sucks and alongside a slower fishery won't be fun. If weather's good you can always run offshore and troll up coho and hali (just keep in mind you may be the only boat within 15 miles).
I'll be out Sept 23-27 with hopes of reasonable weather. Not one of my guests for those dates are coming to Ucluelet to fish specifically (generall tourism crews on single day trips).

Yeah, you gotta get lucky to hit a patch of fish end of September on the beach. She's slowing right now. Ling fishing picks up and there's halis on the bank.
The wildcard and most important piece is really weather. 50% chance it sucks and alongside a slower fishery won't be fun. If weather's good you can always run offshore and troll up coho and hali (just keep in mind you may be the only boat within 15 miles).
I'll be out Sept 23-27 with hopes of reasonable weather. Not one of my guests for those dates are coming to Ucluelet to fish specifically (generall tourism crews on single day trips).
I'll be around Oct 4-8, staying near Tofino. I'm in smaller boat and usually fish the reefs outside Ukee harbour for lings with some success in the fall. Are there any salmon fishing opportunities off Ukee / Tofino that time of year that aren't too far on the outside?

I had a trip planned for July that fell through... retention / non retention, was just hoping to get the kids into a few on the inside but looks like its mostly full closure. Let me know.

Cheers.

Just to continue this - is there any point at all fishing around Amphitrite Point at this time of year? I'm heading out this weekend and may try around that area if the weather is okay, but don't want to waste my time if it's more or less pointless. I'm in a kayak which is a major handicap, to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back