2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent August 5-12 in Ucluelet. The absolute best consecutive days of fishing we've experienced, and we've had some good ones. Fish were there in big numbers and size was very good. 3 of us limited out on chinook over 20lbs with the biggest being 25 on day two. The fishing was steady throughout each day without any lull so we fished dawn to dusk as we were having so much fun. With it being a longer trip, we did a lot of catch and release for a few days before bonking a couple on the last day of our trip. I'll admit, tossing back 20lb salmon was definitely a first for me and I doubt we'll see a week of fishing like this for awhile but a guy can hope!

Picked up our share of coho with the majority being wild. No hali for us but did come home with a pile of ling. Highlight was a 10 minute stretch of 14, 15 and a 17lb. The rest were 8-12lb range.

Usual patterns and set-ups worked all week. We really didn't change things up too much. Cop car, maverick, kitchen sink, no bananas for spoons. Caught a few on some hand-crafted plugs by our captain's son as well as a white hoochie just to switch things up. Also grabbed one on a chovie day 1 but since the hardware was producing so well, we didn't throw another on all week. Chinooks were stuffed with needle fish and herring. This time last year, it was all squid.

Here's a video with a few of our clips from the week. Hope you enjoy.

Great video "ChinWagger".Was it a father/sons trip? The reason we still spend all our money on this crazy sport.Epic trip,good timing.

Great video "ChinWagger".Was it a father/sons trip? The reason we still spend all our money on this crazy sport.Epic trip,good timing.
Not this time, just 3 friends. My dad went to Nootka last month with same boat but I wasn't able to make that trip unfortunately. It's always a great time but it makes it that much better when it all comes together like that.

just came home last night, large swarm off coho showed up wya west into the bay heading towards flo is. Large amount of teenager or bigger springs off wya. Most boats that left early, were back done by 930. We were the last boat out as usual, got there around 10am, and we were done in 90 mins. 42 ft herring aid and small blue spoons... Sat very quiet at Wya, sunday hot hot...

Little off topic here but just looking ahead to next year at some vacation rentals. Does anyone know if there is any dock space or slip rentals over on the Port Albion side of Ukee inlet.

Thx.

I’ve never heard of any on that side. We’ve used the Canadian Princess dock the last couple of years, little pricier but a nice dock ( not falling apart) with freshwater and handy to where we stay

How's the crabbing? I'm trying to decide if "fishing" with a 2 year old should be that or catching tiny crabs at Little Beach. He's not ready for leaving the harbour yet.

Just want to say that Ukee fishing this year,was lights out!!, world class fishing,I'm sure bigger fish were caught all of ours were high teens,low twentys, though on an earlier trip my buddy got a 31,on Saturday we has 10 double headers!!!!come on!!!! fish are so hot they hit like freight trains. Big thanks to my friend for being kind enough to allow me to share his boat,his time,and this amazing experience!!! Thanks Captain!! Can't wait for next year,great times!!

Just want to say that Ukee fishing this year,was lights out!!, world class fishing,I'm sure bigger fish were caught all of ours were high teens,low twentys, though on an earlier trip my buddy got a 31,on Saturday we has 10 double headers!!!!come on!!!! fish are so hot they hit like freight trains. Big thanks to my friend for being kind enough to allow me to share his boat,his time,and this amazing experience!!! Thanks Captain!! Can't wait for next year,great times!!
Likely these are 3 year olds, that's when they shut down a bunch of FF's. Pinks and sockeye are pretty abundant too.

Next couple of years should see the "slabs" (many over 30 lbs) coming back as the four and five year old's make it back. If they still have restrictions then teens and light 20's get thrown back. ;)

Picked up a nice spring at Amphitrite point, handed it to my 70 year old father in law and it was peeling line. He stuck with it and had the biggest fish of his life in the net 10 minutes later.

One more as we cleaned up just a 10lber or so. Ran to Amphitrite Point and threw down a white hootchy and my son was on within a couple minutes, two speed slow pitch rod and reel worked like a charm. 97cm Hali in the boat and a pretty excited 6 year old. Trolled for another half hour without any bites but gear was a little tangled, so could have been more out there. Had a little whale show, as we cleaned up with the engines off and then headed home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back