2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if I can get any tips on the lighthouse to wya area for salmon
Gonna try the downrigger tomorrow if water lets me it was great today
Did some jigging to get the boys up to speed and a few Little rockies as reward was fun
That's too big of an area. Go toward Wya to start rather than troll all the way.
Skinny G or small coyote till you learn to roll bait.Screenshot_20230729-062740~2.png

That's too big of an area. Go toward Wya to start rather than troll all the way.
Skinny G or small coyote till you learn to roll bait.View attachment 95390
Was a bit rough this morning when we made it out so I just went to the left a bit and got the boys up too speed with the down rigger for a few hours, they wanted to go check out ukee days
Interpretation “ we want to go look at girls dad “ lol ya me too 😎

I had an epic tide on the ladder half of the flood in wya today. Nobody there on the first rock side and it was magical. I'll probably swing through in the am before wandering off to the beach if it ain't happening. It looked and was great today.
Good morning tide at wya. Fish were smaller than yesterday by 5lbs on average. Nothing past 18lbs. Mostly 14-16. The needle fish are tiny in there.

Made it out this morning water was beautiful was half way to wya and joined a fleet of boats so I thought let’s try it here
Cannon ball broke off as I went to stack the second line on it !!! Oh well I thought I’ll just go old school throw a chunk of lead on the line and let out a bunch had my first coho before even ten feet from the boat and spit the hook two feet from the boat !!!
What a thrill !
Seen lots of boats pulling fish was a great morning
Try and try again woo hoo I’m fishing !!!

My morning started out real crappy. Been planning on setting prawn traps with the grandkids for months now, going over charts and picking spots. On the way through Parksville couple days ago stopped in and grabbed a couple things I needed like rope for one thing. Bought a 1200’ spool, thought may as well go over kill.

So everyone gets up super early this morning which is not easy when a 3 year old is in the bunch. Anyways we get out there and I get all set up and start dropping my traps spooling line right off the new spool. I get the first one in and tandem tied the second one about 75’ onto the line and just get moving ahead maybe 50’ and the line parts !! Two ends scotch taped together, yes thats right scotch taped. I guess they don’t mean 1200’ of one line FFS. There went my two traps, two old spare 10lb down rigger weights i used for weight. Was planning on maybe running out 400/500’ cutting it and then tying it off to the bouy. They weren’t cheap traps either, don’t ask me what kind but they weren’t anything cheap, have had them for 10 years now and hardly used them.

But, I will say the fishing was decent, kids got to play lots of fish and we boxed some decent Chinook and 5 beauty coho.

Halibut fishing has been very good in many spots and Chinook salmon fishing has been good right outside the harbour and up at Long Beach bank. Coho have been in a few spots but and plentiful around Fraser Rock and in a few spots on the inside. Normal depths for Chinook seem to be 100-140 closer in and if fishing Big Bank or other banks more than 4 miles off 140-200 on the downrigger.

There have been lots of squid, needlefish and small herring so small spoon, needfish hutchies and white hutchies have been working well.

Halibut have been biting well on salmon bellies, grubs and herring. If you pack all 3 you should have success anywhere you decide to set down. Some spots are faster than others right now but almost all spots are producing. As August rolls in expect the halibut to be mostly at Big Bank or other spots further offshore.

We finally got the rain we desperately needed and it looks like we are back to rainless weather. Little fog has been great but if coming in Fogust expect to be using your GPS and Radar.

Tight lines,
Sam Vandervalk
Salmon Eye Fishing Charters
www.salmoneye.net

Attachments

• July23-1200.jpg
    July23-1200.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 128
  • July27-Whettel 800pxW.jpg
    July27-Whettel 800pxW.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 129
Like already stated lots of fish around. If you are in the right spot at the right time its lights out if not you have to work for them some but they are there just can’t be lazy about it. Yesterday was a great day with the whole family, went over to Effingham to stay out of the swell and it was fun. Lots of shakers, got 4 chinook 8/15lbs. Wouldn’t have normally kept the smaller ones but with the kids there who are licensed up we have the room for them. Some darn nice coho holy cow. But crazy with shakers over there, way to many. This morning right out front banged off 4 nice chinook 15/20 lbs in 30 mins maybe then went out to south bank country and spent a little over 4 hrs on the hook for halibut with no luck. But 4 days to go yet so time to get serious for some bigger stuff now that we have a few on the kids and womens licences, they are getting tired anyways and want to start to stay in lol.

53085182171_a96de094d2_c.jpg

53085590430_dff11dfc11_c.jpg

Last edited:
Like already stated lots of fish around. If you are in the right spot at the right time its lights out if not you have to work for them some but they are there just can’t be lazy about it. Yesterday was a great day with the whole family, went over to Effingham to stay out of the swell and it was fun. Lots of shakers, got 4 chinook 10 to 15 lbs. Wouldn’t have normally kept the smaller ones but with the kids there who are licensed up we have the room for them. Some darn nice coho holy cow. But crazy with shakers over there, way to many. This morning right out front banged off 4 nice chinook 8/18lbs in 30 mins maybe then went out to south bank country and spent a little over 4 hrs on the hook for halibut with no luck. But 4 days to go yet so time to get serious for some bigger stuff now that we have a few on the kids and womens licences, they are getting tired anyways and want to start to stay in lol.

53085182171_a96de094d2_c.jpg

53085590430_dff11dfc11_c.jpg
Whatcha using and how deep ?

Running spoons, anything skinny, Skinny G, Halo series from westcoast tackle. Glow, UV. Glow flashers, chartreuse Herring Aid. On the rocks run shallow, 45-65 on the banks run 90 - 120 just depends what your water depth is.

Running spoons, anything skinny, Skinny G, Halo series from westcoast tackle. Glow, UV. Glow flashers, chartreuse Herring Aid. On the rocks run shallow, 45-65 on the banks run 90 - 120 just depends what your water depth is.
Thanks guess I’m just missing the right timing
will try earlier

Looks like the long liners have moved onto the inner banks, going to mop up on the Halibut pretty good I would think. If a guy wants them might have to run out a ways now.

The highlight of the trip today.
We were in behind Effingham looking for Coho and getting a few. Running my light gear, 9’6 ultra light action mooching rods with north coast reels loaded with 12# test line. Had a dummy flasher on one side with a spoon and a purple haze 8” flasher with some kind of a bubble gum splatter spoon on the other at 35‘. The rod at 35’ goes of and starts to scream. After 10 min battle we land this 25# beauty. What a blast lol.

53092159419_df1db40472_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back