2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup,, most of the boys out there are doing well.

If you want to know whos hittin fish now days and where you pretty much have to follow Instagram. You can still post pics of fish on there and not be placed in front of the judicial review board.

Yup,, most of the boys out there are doing well.

If you want to know whos hittin fish now days and where you pretty much have to follow Instagram. You can still post pics of fish on there and not be placed in front of the judicial review board.
Lol, years , ago (like 20 maybe more ) my thing was look at the cleaning dock for top guides cleaning wheelbarrow full of fish, spot where their boat is tied up and fallow them in the morning . Or talk to Nog back when he was in ukee and go from there, epic fishing days that I will remember the rest of my life, don’t think I will ever experience that again

Just finished out front between Black Rock and Wya. A bit out from the beach in about 140 - 160ft depth. Lots of boats. We had lots of action but unfortunately mostly wild coho. Finished up trolling with 2 Chinook and 1 hatchery Coho. Was using a white hoochie and Wee G in cop car. Bites on both.

Launched after the tide came up at about 1:15.

Thanks for the tip @Gallivanter I went looking for squid at food islets, quickly switch to trolling since the sun had broken out. Didn’t have the camera set up and bam off the rigger and taking line. Turned out to be a real screamer, managed to grab my camera for the solo net action, I’m not sure I had ever done before much less with a nice spring. AP sandlance, second or third nice spring on it this season. Top performer every year for the last 4-5 years I’ve had it.

Trolled over sargison bank, lost what I thought was a coho. Then another hit, I had to pop the clip and had another fiesty spring but much smaller. Managed to net it as well.

Just bbqed a small rockfish and time to clean a vermillion and the two springs. Anchored at Effingham with 5 sailboats, a Ranger tug and a converted gillneter turned rec fisherman and one older Grand Banks.

I should be jigging for squid tonight or tomorrow morning but the Bank is calling and as much as I want squid, I know there’s lots of halibut out there. Flat calm, should be a good run.

Still looking for a buddy boat for tomorrow from Bamfield or Ukee for going offshore…

Attachments

• 3A439152-3F5A-43B4-B34B-B599D1FB5170.jpeg
    3A439152-3F5A-43B4-B34B-B599D1FB5170.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 85FDFD21-482C-48FC-96F3-1AD612B17479.jpeg
    85FDFD21-482C-48FC-96F3-1AD612B17479.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 134

Thanks for the tip @Gallivanter I went looking for squid at food islets, quickly switch to trolling since the sun had broken out. Didn’t have the camera set up and bam off the rigger and taking line. Turned out to be a real screamer, managed to grab my camera for the solo net action, I’m not sure I had ever done before much less with a nice spring. AP sandlance, second or third nice spring on it this season. Top performer every year for the last 4-5 years I’ve had it.

Trolled over sargison bank, lost what I thought was a coho. Then another hit, I had to pop the clip and had another fiesty spring but much smaller. Managed to net it as well.

Just bbqed a small rockfish and time to clean a vermillion and the two springs. Anchored at Effingham with 5 sailboats, a Ranger tug and a converted gillneter turned rec fisherman and one older Grand Banks.

I should be jigging for squid tonight or tomorrow morning but the Bank is calling and as much as I want squid, I know there’s lots of halibut out there. Flat calm, should be a good run.

Still looking for a buddy boat for tomorrow from Bamfield or Ukee for going offshore…
How far out are you thinking of heading? I was contemplating a run to 5 or 7 mile but would consider other areas not too far out. I'm at Poett Nook. PM me if you like

I don't know that I'd go all the way to the bank. Grabbed some overs and had double digit unders at the yard today. Grabbed a pair of overs and some chicken at the beach three days ago. Lots at the wreck as well today. Been a **** ton of small blackcod at hali west. I wouldn't want to find those after running out there, haha.

I had a good sleep at Effingham, one beautiful converted commercial boat to rec beat me out of the anchorage to troll at Mears Bluff and I headed offshore, picking my way from pinnacle to pinnacle, trying for ling. Picked up a rockfish, then got to the pinnacle we hit on last year and immediately had a huge hit that broke the pre-tied leader and white skirt I threw down with octopus. I had thought, jesus, that is light line, before I hurriedly got it down for my second rod. I should have dug deeper in my Hali tote for a heavy-duty rig or had less drag on the reel.

I got out to the bank (at least a pinnacle out near the start of the bank) and almost immediately had a nice hit on Salmon belly and Octupus with a glow clear/blue skirt. Pretty good fighter, I was a bumbling idiot with the harpoon (no rubber o ring, so it fell out when one handed it) so grabbed the gaff and brought aboard 89cm. He swallowed it so deep I had to pull the squirt through after cleaning him.

Islands West Resort could sure use an investor. Things are a little tired, docks etc. The scale was all messed up, I really wanted to know how big my salmon was. Had a couple of Mermaids heckling me from the pub as I helped a buddy who showed up launch his boat. Fortunately, I know Ukee girls from the old days and as much as I love being sworn at, I steered clear of the rocks while my buddy says, "I'll end up buying them a drink tonight". My wife ended up apologizing and of course, the in-laws are thrilled with the fish. Smoker will be fired up tomorrow!

A dam good solo trip. Lots of fish being caught out there, boys... go get em!

Since these threads are an archive of information for us to look back at in future years, how are the close and far banks fishing for salmon?
Not that many years ago South Bank was reliable, so I'm curious is all. I realize that the over 80cm starts out there Aug 1, so maybe effort is limited.

Since these threads are an archive of information for us to look back at in future years, how are the close and far banks fishing for salmon?
Not that many years ago South Bank was reliable, so I'm curious is all. I realize that the over 80cm starts out there Aug 1, so maybe effort is limited.
Last couple years they have been decent. But last year we didn’t have to run out to them so really why bother. The fish were stacked up in the rocks so no need to burn the fuel. Two years ago different story, we had better action out to the banks and none any better than the other, they all produced.

I had a good sleep at Effingham, one beautiful converted commercial boat to rec beat me out of the anchorage to troll at Mears Bluff and I headed offshore, picking my way from pinnacle to pinnacle, trying for ling. Picked up a rockfish, then got to the pinnacle we hit on last year and immediately had a huge hit that broke the pre-tied leader and white skirt I threw down with octopus. I had thought, jesus, that is light line, before I hurriedly got it down for my second rod. I should have dug deeper in my Hali tote for a heavy-duty rig or had less drag on the reel.

I got out to the bank (at least a pinnacle out near the start of the bank) and almost immediately had a nice hit on Salmon belly and Octupus with a glow clear/blue skirt. Pretty good fighter, I was a bumbling idiot with the harpoon (no rubber o ring, so it fell out when one handed it) so grabbed the gaff and brought aboard 89cm. He swallowed it so deep I had to pull the squirt through after cleaning him.

Islands West Resort could sure use an investor. Things are a little tired, docks etc. The scale was all messed up, I really wanted to know how big my salmon was. Had a couple of Mermaids heckling me from the pub as I helped a buddy who showed up launch his boat. Fortunately, I know Ukee girls from the old days and as much as I love being sworn at, I steered clear of the rocks while my buddy says, "I'll end up buying them a drink tonight". My wife ended up apologizing and of course, the in-laws are thrilled with the fish. Smoker will be fired up tomorrow!

A dam good solo trip. Lots of fish being caught out there, boys... go get em!
This is a great report!

Wondering if I can get any tips on the lighthouse to wya area for salmon
Gonna try the downrigger tomorrow if water lets me it was great today
Did some jigging to get the boys up to speed and a few Little rockies as reward was fun

I had an epic tide on the ladder half of the flood in wya today. Nobody there on the first rock side and it was magical. I'll probably swing through in the am before wandering off to the beach if it ain't happening. It looked and was great today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back