2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I arrive on the 6th. We will be in the little old Whaler moored right below the fish cleaning station. Please stop by and say 'Hi' and I'll be glad to share numbers with you and let you know how we have been doing. Ukee is a magical and beautiful place. By the way, we never anchor for Halibut there. You arrive on the perfect quarter moon Neap tides, so during the slacks (5:34 AM high; 11:56 AM low on the 9th) almost no current to deal with for maybe 2 hours either side. Fish both sides of the slacks and bang the bottom with Lucky Jigs or Mudrakers with something like a piece of Octopus hanging off the side, or whatever method you prefer. Easy and productive fishing slow drifting over the flats. Last year we saw lots of people with Halis off the downriggers. You just need to find where they are and employ your favorite methods. By the way, if this year is at all typical for Springs and Coho, think 'small' baits, Herring Aide color (our fav) or, with Squid in the harbor, big and white. We like small.
Enjoy, be safe on the water, and please say hi.
Have a Great Day! Jean, Tuna Maru
Hi Jean bruno here, just pulled in yesterday afternoon hope the fish have been biting for you, was wondering what you're using, we are at wya today trying brown hoochies on green flasher, no luck yet. Be at the dock tonight in the Quality Time. Good luck, bruno
Don't worry about if you need additional gear. There are two different places right in town that have most everything. There is a coffee shop/tackle store right near the main marina in town that is iwned by a really wonderful young lady that definitely knows her stuff. Our first visit to Ukee, my wife wanted a coffee, so we stumbled on this one and the young lady walked me around the racks and picked out everything we would need. She turned us on to the Herring Aide Coho Killer and lots of other things, for that matter. When I buy things she always gives my wife a free coffee too :). Also, there is a Chandlery right in town that has everything, especially for commercials. We get any downrigger stuff we need there as well as hootchies, flashers, spoons too. Kind of a miniature Pacific Net and Twine. Don't worry, you'll be good. The only thing that's hard to find is non-resident fishing licenses. We can't buy them online because we fish area 23 and now they are on line, no one sells them. We always stop in Gone Fishing in Port on our way.
Only 2 more days! Hurray! jc Tuna Maru

Hi Tenmile, was wondering how you did prawning, we will be in ucluelet on the 9th and are hoping to find some if the commercial guys left any
We did ok. Some days better than others. It's somewhat more hit and miss than earlier in the year.

Can anyone comment on how long a wait it is for the single lane section of highway 4? Dragging the boat to Ukee in a week.
We take the road couple times a week. Last trip
We had a 20 minute wait in the morning
And 40 minutes wait later afternoon..
I guess peek times of the day longer wait times

We came through with the boat on Saturday, only waited 15 min.
Lots of squid being harvested in the bay behind Food islets, caught three small springs in the same area, released them. Went over to great bear/ Alley caught two smaller Lings/ released and three rockfish.
Ghost flash fly and hearing aid skinny G spoon. Went to Cree also, no joy. Heading out for Hali and Lings tomorrow 🤞🏼
We dropped a crab trap last night and it had one nice 7”er for lunch. Pic of a released China

Attachments

• IMG_2331.jpeg
    IMG_2331.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 129
Took advantage of the calm water Saturday and took friends and their kids out for a few hours in the morning. Got the Hali at one of the closer banks drifting. Was using a blinking squid with a piece of salmon belly on a spreader bar.

Attachments

• 20230708_124300.jpg
    20230708_124300.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 20230708_093320.jpg
    20230708_093320.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 140
Just back from Ukee. In the 15 years that I have fished there, this was by far the worst Spring fishing I have ever had up there. got our halis, but brought home 0 springs. We caught a few, but they were all really small. Everyone I talked to said the same thing. Even the girl at the public processor (used to be St. Jeans) said the the same thing.

I'm also just home from Ukee. Every year is different on this annual late June/early July trip. I got four sox in PA, a limit of prawns, rockfish, under halis, and springs. No keeper Lings. Swells were amazingly small.
My biggest salmon trolling was 3 pounds in 6 different spots. I have joined the squid jigging then mooching group.
Two were on a float with a bobber stop at about 20 feet and two mooching the live squid near bottom. Jigging was also working for some in the squid places. The squid thing is a very addictive way to fish. Biggest was about 14 lb but some slabs were caught around me. Every fish had about 15 squid in it.
Back trolling allows you to spin the boat to fight the fish and get out of people's way when they hook one. Anchoring is more relaxing but not necessarily more effective and the fish can wrap the anchor line.

Just back from Ukee. In the 15 years that I have fished there, this was by far the worst Spring fishing I have ever had up there. got our halis, but brought home 0 springs. We caught a few, but they were all really small. Everyone I talked to said the same thing. Even the girl at the public processor (used to be St. Jeans) said the the same thing.
Our last day is tomorrow. I totally agree, the toughest fishing we've experienced from Ukee, ever. Some observations from this year compared to previous years all starting around the 6th of July: 1st time in at least 6 years Squid still present; no Coho anywhere; few marks if any at all of our 'go to' spots; fishing in Tofino much more productive. So, late Squid, late Springs, late Coho?
Also, because the squid are usually gone, we always use predominantly Herring Aide Coho Killers and WeeGs. This year they have been giving us 'maybe' one good Spring a day. We've fished Mears Bluff, Cree, Sail Island, Great Bear, Chrow, Food Islands, Beg, Red Can, inside from the lighthouse to Wya. We have made the rounds to mark few or no fish in all of them as the norm. We should have known better when squid were floating in that little bay at the back of Food. We should have put the 'small stuff' to bed and broke out the big white hootchies, and larger spoons (Skinny Gs?). Today was a perfect example. Probably 30 boats at the Red Can most all day. The boats fishing 'big' did pretty well with multiple Springs. We 'little' people had two chances fishing 'all day'. Frustrating at best. Reflecting now, it has been a great learning experience though, on beautiful water everyday, once that stinky south wind went away. Ukee has been beautiful as always. Will we make the same mistakes in the future? I hope not. We have tomorrow to try to finish on a strong note. I've been tying big white uv hootchies of a couple of different colors tonight to try to be ready. My only hope is that the Springs and Coho eventually show up here in huge numbers, because I'll be waiting for their arrival at the mouth of the Columbia all of August and September. Thanks Ukee. Hopefully, see you next year. jc Tuna Maru

Great bottom fish action the past couple days. Really enjoying learning the waters around here. Released this octopus and skate. Amazing morning for Hali’s, all caught with medium herring. Up to 11 Lings now all between 55&63 cm’s, last day tomorrow, maybe get one over 65cm.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    373 KB · Views: 117
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6018.jpeg
    IMG_6018.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 04BAF422-9CC2-46AB-BAD4-884A6475B2E7.jpeg
    04BAF422-9CC2-46AB-BAD4-884A6475B2E7.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 124
Great bottom fish action the past couple days. Really enjoying learning the waters around here. Released this octopus and skate. Amazing morning for Hali’s, all caught with medium herring. Up to 11 Lings now all between 55&63 cm’s, last day tomorrow, maybe get one over 65cm.
I've been fishing springs and ling in 140- 200 Mark off little beach outside the pins. Salmon been biting leading into the high, then again for three hours leading towards the low. Fish lings in the 170-220 in the other piece of the tides. Swim paddle tails to dodge most of the small ones and your legal rate should be around half. Grabbed 10 lings and 14 springs between two shifts today. Did a similar pattern the last few days there. I haven't even bothered getting at it till around 9 am for salmon until we're most of the way through the flood. I'll see if it patterns again tom...

Craziness this morning, went to our Lingcod spot and put out swim baits on a spreader bar taking @seabeyonds advice to try and weed out the smaller fish. Well after a 25 minute battle my wife reeled in this 149cm monster!! It was quickly released after a measurement and picture. Estimated weight is 100lbs. What a thrill!!
My back is a little sore now lol

Attachments

• IMG_2386.jpeg
    IMG_2386.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 215
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 220
Confirm fishing super slow last weekend. Fished Flo to red can and did not see a single salmon caught except for the people jogging squid. Tried multiple hootchie and one coho for many hours trying. Limited out on halo on Sat morning and then concentrated on salmon sat afternoon evening, all day Sun and half Monday probably fished 20 hrs and 1 small wild coho I released. Note to self learn how to jig squid and fish them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back