2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I jig off the docks if they are in the harbour. Use a squid jig. I've seen some ppl use casting nets too.

Some boats jig behind Florencia Island.

Last edited:
Heading to Ucluelet for July 9th with the family of 4, hoping to get an evening fish once camp is set up at the Ukee campground and boat moored at Island West. Plan on fishing through the 13th and drive home on the 14th.
Brand spankin new boat.. my first time in Ucluelet and second time in Barkley sound...Fishing for Chinook/Coho/Ling/Halibut...halibut should be interesting as I haven't had a chance to sort out my anchor system other than a 16.5lb Bruce 24 ish feet of chain and 600ft of retired climbing rope..new boat drank up all the spare funds..like they do...nothing fancy, I'll just pull er up by hand..
Not looking for spots, I enjoy finding the fish myself, just introducing myself.
If you see a battleship grey 21ft Hewescraft Sea Runner hardtop, say HI.. good luck everyone..

Heading to Ucluelet for July 9th with the family of 4, hoping to get an evening fish once camp is set up at the Ukee campground and boat moored at Island West. Plan on fishing through the 13th and drive home on the 14th.
Brand spankin new boat.. my first time in Ucluelet and second time in Barkley sound...Fishing for Chinook/Coho/Ling/Halibut...halibut should be interesting as I haven't had a chance to sort out my anchor system other than a 16.5lb Bruce 24 ish feet of chain and 600ft of retired climbing rope..new boat drank up all the spare funds..like they do...nothing fancy, I'll just pull er up by hand..
Not looking for spots, I enjoy finding the fish myself, just introducing myself.
If you see a battleship grey 21ft Hewescraft Sea Runner hardtop, say HI.. good luck everyone..
If you don't get your anchor setup, you can always just drift for Hali in the flats. I put kicker in Reverse at idle to slow the drift if current or wind is too strong.

Last edited:
Look up the anchor lift. You can get them for around 30 bucks. Much better than lifting it by hand. You still need the float for it to work.

Look up the anchor lift. You can get them for around 30 bucks. Much better than lifting it by hand. You still need the float for it to work.
My rope is 2 @ 300ft so I'll have a big knot half way...and you can't splice this climbing rope.

My wife and I arrive on the 6th. We will be in the little old Whaler moored right below the fish cleaning station. Please stop by and say 'Hi' and I'll be glad to share numbers with you and let you know how we have been doing. Ukee is a magical and beautiful place. By the way, we never anchor for Halibut there. You arrive on the perfect quarter moon Neap tides, so during the slacks (5:34 AM high; 11:56 AM low on the 9th) almost no current to deal with for maybe 2 hours either side. Fish both sides of the slacks and bang the bottom with Lucky Jigs or Mudrakers with something like a piece of Octopus hanging off the side, or whatever method you prefer. Easy and productive fishing slow drifting over the flats. Last year we saw lots of people with Halis off the downriggers. You just need to find where they are and employ your favorite methods. By the way, if this year is at all typical for Springs and Coho, think 'small' baits, Herring Aide color (our fav) or, with Squid in the harbor, big and white. We like small.
Enjoy, be safe on the water, and please say hi.
Have a Great Day! Jean, Tuna Maru

My wife and I arrive on the 6th. We will be in the little old Whaler moored right below the fish cleaning station. Please stop by and say 'Hi' and I'll be glad to share numbers with you and let you know how we have been doing. Ukee is a magical and beautiful place. By the way, we never anchor for Halibut there. You arrive on the perfect quarter moon Neap tides, so during the slacks (5:34 AM high; 11:56 AM low on the 9th) almost no current to deal with for maybe 2 hours either side. Fish both sides of the slacks and bang the bottom with Lucky Jigs or Mudrakers with something like a piece of Octopus hanging off the side, or whatever method you prefer. Easy and productive fishing slow drifting over the flats. Last year we saw lots of people with Halis off the downriggers. You just need to find where they are and employ your favorite methods. By the way, if this year is at all typical for Springs and Coho, think 'small' baits, Herring Aide color (our fav) or, with Squid in the harbor, big and white. We like small.
Enjoy, be safe on the water, and please say hi.
Have a Great Day! Jean, Tuna Maru
Hi Jean, thanks for the reply, I will be sure to stop by and say Hi, i plan on spending a lot of time at the fish cleaning station...lol..I was in Barkley last year and witnessed the small bait first hand, I'm stocked up with AP spoons, west coast spoons, and assorted gibbs spoons..not to mention a whole array of hoochies and needlefish...for Hali, I have spreader bars and the assorted rigging as well as lighthouse swim baits...and a couple west coast flat fall jigs..some berkley and gibbs curly tails...no mudrakers though..

thanks again Jeff

Pulled up a pair of prawn traps close to Barkley Sound Resort. Had about 100ft of poly line that seems to have been cut -- no ball -- rope was draped over mine down at the bottom. Traps and line all look recent. If you can describe them I can get them back to you somehow.

Hi Jean, thanks for the reply, I will be sure to stop by and say Hi, i plan on spending a lot of time at the fish cleaning station...lol..I was in Barkley last year and witnessed the small bait first hand, I'm stocked up with AP spoons, west coast spoons, and assorted gibbs spoons..not to mention a whole array of hoochies and needlefish...for Hali, I have spreader bars and the assorted rigging as well as lighthouse swim baits...and a couple west coast flat fall jigs..some berkley and gibbs curly tails...no mudrakers though..

thanks again Jeff
Our favorite 'little spoon' is a Coho Killer or Gibbs Wee G in Herring Aide. For us, the glow back seems to do better than the spoons with chrome. If the reports are correct and there are Squid in the harbour, it may add a different aspect to presentation. I'd love to go up to Florencia and bobber fish live Squid. We've talked about doing it all the time, just never made the time. Heck, lots of times it's pretty easy with just four of the same 'little spoon' right out front. Just to mix things up, we do use two different flashers though :). Both UV. Last year, I found what looked like HotSpot UV blanks at Pacific Net and Twine for less than $5.00 each. I added some 'cracked glass' tape last night and they look beautiful. Should be killer. I also bought about 5# of both baby and regular size Octopus for Hali's (I'll put a bag aside for you if you want to try it) . It's our favorite. Either hang a baby or a cucumber slice of an arm on the jigs we make and bang the bottom until something sits on it and you can't lift it. Years ago we met Mike Roberts (the originator of the Lucky Jig that Gibbs ripped off for the Mudraker) up at Port McNeill and really fell in love with the jigs and style of fishing. Now, using his style, we take a 1# cylinder glow weight, tie a 10/0 treble and double hootchie to the top with about 4" of nylon cord so when the hootchie is hanging it doesn't touch the bottom of the lead and we are good to go. Really inexpensive to make. The hootchie flaps up and down with that piece of Octopus as you bang the bottom on the drift. We have found them to be pretty effective. It will be interesting to see if with the Squid around, we find any Halibut on the inside banks. Both Adipose and Turtle Head were really good this time last year. Who knows, with Squid in the bay, maybe some of the banks inside Barkley might hold Halibut too. I'm just so excited, two more days. Looking forward to saying 'Hello'.
Have a Great Day!
Jean

Our favorite 'little spoon' is a Coho Killer or Gibbs Wee G in Herring Aide. For us, the glow back seems to do better than the spoons with chrome. If the reports are correct and there are Squid in the harbour, it may add a different aspect to presentation. I'd love to go up to Florencia and bobber fish live Squid. We've talked about doing it all the time, just never made the time. Heck, lots of times it's pretty easy with just four of the same 'little spoon' right out front. Just to mix things up, we do use two different flashers though :). Both UV. Last year, I found what looked like HotSpot UV blanks at Pacific Net and Twine for less than $5.00 each. I added some 'cracked glass' tape last night and they look beautiful. Should be killer. I also bought about 5# of both baby and regular size Octopus for Hali's (I'll put a bag aside for you if you want to try it) . It's our favorite. Either hang a baby or a cucumber slice of an arm on the jigs we make and bang the bottom until something sits on it and you can't lift it. Years ago we met Mike Roberts (the originator of the Lucky Jig that Gibbs ripped off for the Mudraker) up at Port McNeill and really fell in love with the jigs and style of fishing. Now, using his style, we take a 1# cylinder glow weight, tie a 10/0 treble and double hootchie to the top with about 4" of nylon cord so when the hootchie is hanging it doesn't touch the bottom of the lead and we are good to go. Really inexpensive to make. The hootchie flaps up and down with that piece of Octopus as you bang the bottom on the drift. We have found them to be pretty effective. It will be interesting to see if with the Squid around, we find any Halibut on the inside banks. Both Adipose and Turtle Head were really good this time last year. Who knows, with Squid in the bay, maybe some of the banks inside Barkley might hold Halibut too. I'm just so excited, two more days. Looking forward to saying 'Hello'.
Have a Great Day!
Jean
Very kind to offer the Octopus bait, I may just take you up on that, figured halibut fishing would need to wait till we caught some coho for the heads..salmon for the bellies..
Unfortunately we are traveling on sunday so both harbour chandler and pacific net and twine are closed. Only place for a last minute lure fix is Cabelas or Gone Fishing...and Cabelas will be much easier getting the boat and trailer.
Being this is the first trip with my own boat and gear, I bought 4 halibut/ling rods/reels and all the assorted tackle..got expensive, couldn't possibly buy it all..maybe next year😁 might need to pick a few more ling jigs..any recommendations?
How many days are you fishing?

Have a Great Day!
Jean
"...Bobber fish live squid...

JP...can you fill in the blanks on your technique? Sounds like a blast. Always keen to learn new methods.

B

The 'bobber technique ' is really basic and simple. It's how we fish Springs her in the fall in tidewater. Need a minus tide to concentrate and agitate the fish though. Another story. Anyway......you need a rod/reel combo you can cast with 50# to 65# braid. On that braid you want to slide a '2oz Stealhead bobber' then a 12 to 15mm plastic bead. Then tie on a 1 1/2oz to 2oz trolling sinker to the non-chain side. On the chain side tie on maybe 36" of 30# to 40# flouro leader to your favorite 4/0 to 5/0 hook. Now, say you want to fish that squid 10', 15', 20' down, slide that much line, including your leader length, out from the rod tip. At the rod tip, either tie a bobber stop knot or (much easier) double a rubber band over the line and pull it tight on the line. Clip the excess rubber band leaving two 1/8" pieces sticking out. Now reel the line, including the bobber stop, back on the reel where the bobber is at the rod tip. Make a cast and the lead pulls the line through the bobber, the rubber band hits the bead above the bobber and you are now fishing at your desired depth. You just watch the bobber and when it disappears it's 'fish on'. It's always funny when you aren't paying attention like you should and you look up and wonder, 'where's my bobber?' Oh ****, I've got a fish on. It's a great way to suspend bait at any depth, especially just off the bottom.
I hope my description makes sense. It's really a fun way to fish especially over Tyee on a slack minus tide in 8' to 12' feet of water, watch your bobber disappear, then the water explodes. I think you get the idea. Enjoy. jc Tuna Maru

Very kind to offer the Octopus bait, I may just take you up on that, figured halibut fishing would need to wait till we caught some coho for the heads..salmon for the bellies..
Unfortunately we are traveling on sunday so both harbour chandler and pacific net and twine are closed. Only place for a last minute lure fix is Cabelas or Gone Fishing...and Cabelas will be much easier getting the boat and trailer.
Being this is the first trip with my own boat and gear, I bought 4 halibut/ling rods/reels and all the assorted tackle..got expensive, couldn't possibly buy it all..maybe next year😁 might need to pick a few more ling jigs..any recommendations?
How many days are you fishing?
Don't worry about if you need additional gear. There are two different places right in town that have most everything. There is a coffee shop/tackle store right near the main marina in town that is iwned by a really wonderful young lady that definitely knows her stuff. Our first visit to Ukee, my wife wanted a coffee, so we stumbled on this one and the young lady walked me around the racks and picked out everything we would need. She turned us on to the Herring Aide Coho Killer and lots of other things, for that matter. When I buy things she always gives my wife a free coffee too :). Also, there is a Chandlery right in town that has everything, especially for commercials. We get any downrigger stuff we need there as well as hootchies, flashers, spoons too. Kind of a miniature Pacific Net and Twine. Don't worry, you'll be good. The only thing that's hard to find is non-resident fishing licenses. We can't buy them online because we fish area 23 and now they are on line, no one sells them. We always stop in Gone Fishing in Port on our way.
Only 2 more days! Hurray! jc Tuna Maru

Pulled up a pair of prawn traps close to Barkley Sound Resort. Had about 100ft of poly line that seems to have been cut -- no ball -- rope was draped over mine down at the bottom. Traps and line all look recent. If you can describe them I can get them back to you somehow.
Could be gary wiltons at haggard cove. He lost a set to a log tow not long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back