2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well interesting events this run to ukee, Monday to Today , camped with friends who were chartering and we were in a smaller boat , great warm weather but windy afternoons as always , fishing is very spotty imho! Fish are hunting bait so they’re everywhere and no where ! We found springs but small side mostly , some nice ones ! Halibut on the 5 mile bank very slow, we only trolled but still very slow as last time was very good doing that ! Wait for the highway to reopen. That road is nasty somewhat sketchy

Well interesting events this run to ukee, Monday to Today , camped with friends who were chartering and we were in a smaller boat , great warm weather but windy afternoons as always , fishing is very spotty imho! Fish are hunting bait so they’re everywhere and no where ! We found springs but small side mostly , some nice ones ! Halibut on the 5 mile bank very slow, we only trolled but still very slow as last time was very good doing that ! Wait for the highway to reopen. That road is nasty somewhat sketchy
Hi, I'm new to the area, where is the five mile bank you are referring too ? Thanks, will be heading up there second week of July

We will also be there that same time. The best advice I can give you since you are new to Ukee is to spend some time reviewing and searching older/past years posts on this fantastic site. Your answers are all here, usually with numbers to help you along the way. We've been fishing and enjoying the area since the early '90's and still learn things here all the time. Ukee is a wonderful and special place. It deserves your time and effort to discover its magic. If you haven't been there before, the beauty alone will blow your mind. Be careful though. You will be fishing the open ocean. Please be safe and treat it with respect. Enjoy. You will be back. jc Tuna Maru

We will also be there that same time. The best advice I can give you since you are new to Ukee is to spend some time reviewing and searching older/past years posts on this fantastic site. Your answers are all here, usually with numbers to help you along the way. We've been fishing and enjoying the area since the early '90's and still learn things here all the time. Ukee is a wonderful and special place. It deserves your time and effort to discover its magic. If you haven't been there before, the beauty alone will blow your mind. Be careful though. You will be fishing the open ocean. Please be safe and treat it with respect. Enjoy. You will be back. jc Tuna Maru

Thanks Jean this will be my third time in ucluelet, hopefully I can find some past posts with the info I need, I do have some spots on my map that came with the boat for big and little bank, I was hoping to find some areas a little closer in

Reactions: RBL
If you have the Navionics app on your phone and pull up the area around Ukee. Look close and you will find many marks that we and others have placed both in Barkley and outside that have been productive in the past. Are you just fishing Halibut, or are Springs and Coho on your wish list too. As I mentioned, we arrive on the 6th and will be moored at Islands West. If you are around, please look for us and our little Whaler there, on the water, or give us a call on the radio. We will be glad to share anything and everything we hear or experience. You have to be lucky to find them, but there are Halibut to be had right inside Barkley. The locations are held pretty close to the vest, but if you look hard and spend time on the app, you will find many more than one. Start south of Swale Rock and work West.
By the way, if you are running from Ukee, that 5 Mile Bank is a long way to go. It's 5 miles due west of Bamfield. Lots of banks and Halibut much closer. Inner and outer Lighthouse, Adipose, Turtle Head..................lots more. That being said, it just depends on where the fish are when we are there. Do some homework and we can talk more.
Have a Great Day! Jean, Tuna Maru

Hi Jean, we will be looking for pretty much everything, halibut, springs, coho, ling and rockfish. We have fished for salmon around Swale 2 years ago and north of the lighthouse around Wya, tried some prawning near Swale but only got a couple, we will be pulling into Island West on the 9 and hope to talk with you, I will look into the Navionics App, thanks again and have a great day
Bruno

Anyone know what's up with La Perousse wave bouy? Haven't been able to get any data from it for sometime now...

Last edited:
Hi Bruno,
If Ron comes through for us like he always does, we will be moored right next to the cleaning station. Please say hello. You will like the Navionics app. There is a free version, but I like it so well and can sync it to my Raymarine chart plotter, that I spring for the $19.99 USD yearly fee. That way I can do my research at home, create routes for the next day, mark spots that I want to explore more and then when I get on the boat, all that information automatically transfers to my chart plotter. I can update maps and download community uploads too. For us, well worth it.
Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, every year is different, BUT last year we did really well pretty close to home. We did well at the Red Can, Little Beach, and Wya, but we were introduced to Chrow and Great Bear Islands just across from Beg. We had some great days there. There was a really productive troll right off of Chrow, but there is a big rock in the middle of the troll that is a ball stealer. The people that knew that inside troll did great, but my b**ls weren't big enough, so we just stayed outside. We picked a contour line where we marked fish and just followed it and did well. We also ran down to Sail Rock a couple of days. The Coho fishing was excellent, but only on the slack. Once the tide changed, the switch was turned off and it went dead. Our favorite place for years has been the back side of Effingham off Mears Bluff. We fished it hard the first day and there was nothing there, so never went back. Our last day fishing we stumbled on a troll on the south side of Great Bear. There were a couple of other boats there, so we thought we'd see what was happening. We couldn't keep two rods down let alone our normal four. Our grandson, who was with us last year, landed close to 30 Springs and Coho and finished out all our mixed limits. It seemed like as long as what we were putting down was small (Coho Killer or Weegee sized), Herring Aide colored, on a chin to floor leader, behind a green/uv flasher, it got bit. Really fun.
Lings and Black Bass were great everywhere, even on the troll, but Halibut were slow for us. We only fished inner and outer Lighthouse banging the bottom with jigs, but didn't spend a whole lot of time there. My wife got one Hali about 25# and a huge Skate, but that was it. Some really nice guys we met at the moorage ran down to Adipose on a pretty snotty day and were rewarded with three really nice fish. It just really depends on where they happen to be at 'that time'. It's always beautiful though and everyone we have met over the years have been wonderful, so the experience is always amazing. The fish are a bonus. Hopefully, see you on the 9th.
Have a Great Day!
Jean

Anyone know what's up with La Parousse wave bouy? Haven't been able to get any data from it for sometime now...
I guess no one but me uses this buoy for wave and wind info? I've contacted Environment Canada,but of course as with all government agencies they are useless,oh well guess we will decide when we get to the red can....

I guess no one but me uses this buoy for wave and wind info? I've contacted Environment Canada,but of course as with all government agencies they are useless,oh well guess we will decide when we get to the red can....
I use it all the time, all summer long. I depend on it. I hope it gets up and running very soon!

On Sat morning took a run over to Swale to test the boat and see if any Socks were still around. No Socks but lots of action from shakers and feeders in the early morning. Kept a couple of coho and one small spring. Lost a mid teen at the boat. Didn't see any bigger fish getting netted by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back