2023 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got our place booked.

7 months to go lol.

Like mentioned before she’s getting tight out there already I was surprised. I‘m sure hotel rooms for 2 or 3 nights wont be bad but anything of size and duration is pretty tough. Anybody planning on it better get after it.

Last edited:
Booked in July 8th to 15th, moorage and room, 135 days and counting! Fished Tofino and Nootka the last couple years, this will be a first in Ukee. Catching up on archived reports to get some starting points. Can’t wait 😃 🎣
We are there 6th through the 15th as well. Last year we did really well down from Food, south side of Great Bear, Swale, Back side of Effingham, Cree, on the bottom north of Red Can, and Wya. If you want to make the run, just off Kirby Point can be really good for 'Socks' as the incoming tide starts to run. With 700K+ predicted, might be good. We've done the best on anything small, Herring Aide color (Wee Gees, Coho Killers), chin to the deck leader length, and the UV blade, Kelly Green, Chartreuse, UV Gibbs flasher. We've also done well with the Hotspot UV blade 'Chameleon' series silver or green crystal flash tape too. That has been our 'go to' there for years.
We love Ukee before the 'outside' opens. Not many others around. If you see a little 17' Whaler with my wife and I and our 13 y/o grandson, please say 'hi'. Can't come soon enough. jc Tuna Maru

We are there 6th through the 15th as well. Last year we did really well down from Food, south side of Great Bear, Swale, Back side of Effingham, Cree, on the bottom north of Red Can, and Wya. If you want to make the run, just off Kirby Point can be really good for 'Socks' as the incoming tide starts to run. With 700K+ predicted, might be good. We've done the best on anything small, Herring Aide color (Wee Gees, Coho Killers), chin to the deck leader length, and the UV blade, Kelly Green, Chartreuse, UV Gibbs flasher. We've also done well with the Hotspot UV blade 'Chameleon' series silver or green crystal flash tape too. That has been our 'go to' there for years.
We love Ukee before the 'outside' opens. Not many others around. If you see a little 17' Whaler with my wife and I and our 13 y/o grandson, please say 'hi'. Can't come soon enough. jc Tuna Maru
Hi Jean, thanks for the info, I’ll be there with wife and 2 kids, will definitely say hi if we cross paths. We’ll be in a 22’ Black Weldcraft
Cheers

Heading up this week for some shoreline and inside salmon. Maybe a Hali bank excursion ? Any early reports would be great appreciated

Heading up this week for some shoreline and inside salmon. Maybe a Hali bank excursion ? Any early reports would be great appreciated
It's been solid. Can has been the go to at the beginning of the flood for the last three days. Doesn't do much till the flood gets going then it cranks on. Fish mostly 5-15 with one every few days to the low 20s. Hali on the mid banks. Who knows if it'll keep rolling. Weather looks good which is the most important part in the spring. Always fish somewhere if you can get to them

Attachments

• 20230506_141152.jpg
    20230506_141152.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 227
It's been solid. Can has been the go to at the beginning of the flood for the last three days. Doesn't do much till the flood gets going then it cranks on. Fish mostly 5-15 with one every few days to the low 20s. Hali on the mid banks. Who knows if it'll keep rolling. Weather looks good which is the most important part in the spring. Always fish somewhere if you can get to them
Thanks a lot for great report.

Fished late last week in the most spectacular weather ukee could produce, Was geeked up to hit the can and reports had concurred the red can was hot , well weds it was dead as a door nail, seen Myers there so we knew recent production was good, Tried Swale and Begg, all afternoon 8 hours 1 salmon bite . Next day water mint. Tried can begg early = nada, out to lighthouse bank and got into some small Hali trolling , came back in for salmon off wya and found 2 biters , finished off with some ling jiggin! 12 hour day and I was done ! Tough salmon going continues into this week I’ve heard

Heading back up again. This coming post long weekend week! Hoping some braved the winds on long weekend to find the salmon which are scarce it seems! Any reports appreciated as usual as I reciprocate

Been a tough few days out there with weather and some seriously scarce springs.

The tap seemed to turn off after a bit of decent action alternating around Red Can and Great Bear.

Some smaller local fish around, pretty patchy migratory groups so far - nothing has really stuck around long.

There's lings around taking swimbaits, if you can handle the lump right now.

Looks like the seas are set to drop over the next couple days, and next weekend should offer some halibut chances - probably sooner.

Upcoming week looks good for tides and waxing moon, just gotta wait for it to mellow a bit.

Sea conditions have bene the limiting factor out here lately.

Strong NW winds have made the outside mostly unfishable, and uncomfortable on the inside at times.

There are a few springs around. and some decent ones in the mix.

Watch for squid on the sounder, there have been a few patches coming through - a turd on the bottom worked for this one.

Red Can has been most consistent with Great Bear/Sail area holding fish as well.

Halibut has been spotty outside with fish slow to come in to anchored baits and 80-100cm fish being the most active.

Resized_20230526_112234.JPEG

Strong NW winds have made the outside mostly unfishable, and uncomfortable on the inside at times.

Watch for squid on the sounder, there have been a few patches coming through - a turd on the bottom worked for this one.

Red Can has been most consistent with Great Bear/Sail area holding fish as well.

Halibut has been spotty outside with fish slow to come in to anchored baits and 80-100cm fish being the most active.

View attachment 92903
Thank for the update, tight lines!

What type of boat you got there

View attachment 92903
Well done buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back