Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of Beechey head from 9 until noon again. Dealing with shakers was a constant annoyance regardless of depth. Only caught one mature coho but 4 small springs on the shallow rods.
We crossed a tideline near shore and actually felt the temperature get warmer, suddenly all rods went off, as they did on a nearby boat. Mackerel frenzy! Kept one to try.

I had a client who wanted to keep all the mackerel we caught, he said he loved eating them. I asked how he cooked them as I tried them and ended up feeding them to the dog.
He told me to cut them into cookies (steaks) and then cover them with kosher salt, put them in the fridge overnight rinse them off well with fresh water, and let them soak in clean cold water for an hour or so then cook them however you like.
I tried it his way and they weren't bad.

I gutted the mackeral in the boat and found the stink kind of off putting. Kind of like rabbits do. At home high grade the fillets and BBQ with a little seasoning. My family actually liked it. Doggo loved it. Next time I'll just gut out the loins and use the rest for prawn bait.

Those fish do put up pretty good scrap on light gear, but would prefer they stayed where they belong. Must destroy the baitfish population.

I gutted the mackeral in the boat and found the stink kind of off putting. Kind of like rabbits do. At home high grade the fillets and BBQ with a little seasoning. My family actually liked it. Doggo loved it. Next time I'll just gut out the loins and use the rest for prawn bait.

Those fish do put up pretty good scrap on light gear, but would prefer they stayed where they belong. Must destroy the baitfish population.
and small salmon of every species - not good to have them around long for local salmon populations :(

Hi Folks. I am involved with the UVic Adult Salmon Diet Program(see link). We normally deal just with Chinook and Coho salmon guts, but the unusual appearance of numbers of Mackerel in JDF at the same time many juvenile salmon are out-migrating is interesting and concerning. We would like to get a small sample of these fish while they are around. If you are interested in helping and are keeping these guys please throw the whole digestive tract in individual bags with a piece of paper that provides, in pencil, your email, the date, the location, the species (Mackerel is good enough), and the fork length). Alternatively you can use one of our data cards which can be printed from the site below. Feel free to PM me or email uvicsalmondiet@gmail.com with questions.

They are Jack Mackerels not the common Pacific Mackerel. They are great in the kitchen - no comparison to the common mackerel. They can get 70cm plus and put up a decent fight on light gear. Take as many as you can - they are not good for our ecosystem!

Looked up distribution range for pacific jack mackerels. Their regular range is from Alaska all the way to California and inhabits both offshore and inshore water. They may be bad for salmon but aren’t they ‘local’? May be another returning fish specie just like anchovies is, finally showing up in Howe Sound after been absent for many year.

but aren’t they ‘local’? May be another returning fish specie just like anchovies is, finally showing up in Howe Sound after been absent for many year.
Jack Mackerel are not "local" to the waters off the West Coast of Vancouver Island , Sooke and Victoria. They are a warm water fish and come in with some, but not all el Niño's

According to DFO website mackerel is fairly abundant off Vancouver island and all the way to Prince Rupert.
Before this year, how many Mackerel have you caught off Sooke in the past, lets say 5 years or so?
If you like catching Mackerel get your fill of it now cause they will be gone as latest el Niño begins to weaken sometime next year or 2025
I hope no one says the Mackerel are gone due to overfishing!

Two of us, fished today from 7 to 815 at Albert Head area and got one small, clipped Coho that was bleeding out so we kept it.

Picked up and move to west of Race Rocks and closer to Beecher Bay and fishing 845 to noon. We were fishing in 450 ft of water and 50 ft on the DR and using glow white squirts.

Ended up with 2 nice size wild and 5 clipped and let go 20+ wild. Most of our action was from 845 to 1115. Then the tide flow became to fast and the fish stopped biting so we packed it in.
nice size coho

Hi Folks. I am involved with the UVic Adult Salmon Diet Program(see link). We normally deal just with Chinook and Coho salmon guts, but the unusual appearance of numbers of Mackerel in JDF at the same time many juvenile salmon are out-migrating is interesting and concerning. We would like to get a small sample of these fish while they are around. If you are interested in helping and are keeping these guys please throw the whole digestive tract in individual bags with a piece of paper that provides, in pencil, your email, the date, the location, the species (Mackerel is good enough), and the fork length). Alternatively you can use one of our data cards which can be printed from the site below. Feel free to PM me or email uvicsalmondiet@gmail.com with questions.

Gee maybe someone like @Bugs has an idea about this? Amazing the debate is actually (even) happening...

Just to add, makerel are actually a rather common occurance in late August / early September in the waters offshore Bamfield and other parts of the west side of the Island. We often jig them when late season halibut fishing 12 miles offshore Cape Beale. El Nino plays a factor for sure but so does the annual push of warm tuna water that flows by the west coast of the Island each and every summer. I too have never seen such a strong influence of makerel in the Straight but it really isn't that far out of their range. Concerning I suppose to a point yes. I would enjoy them while they are here as I am not ready to declare a biological disater just yet. They are darn tasty smoked!

Never saw mackeral in the 60's, 70's or 80's. Although we always fished close to shore then. Quite simply they are bad news all around. Never live release them. They should be purged totaly!! Like we need another excuse for DFO to impose more restrictions after these vermin decimate everything in there path.

It was a nice day for a drive to Pedder Bay -- not so much for fishing. Sunny all the way to the intersection on Rocky Pt Road, but pea soup even inside the marina [although it came and went a bit]. I met one guy who had got out early and caught a 5 lb wild before it really socked in and blew up a bit, and when I poked out into Pedder Bay, I found one intrepid soul fishing in small circles in 25 feet of water - just barely in sight of land. I got my engine warmed up but never dipped a line. Better than working for a living...

Last edited:
Took one last shot yesterday because of the nice flood and fished the same 450 contour that was so productive last week from 10:00 to 1:00 also used the same hootchies and depths. Not a single coho or even a mackerel, but the shakers were relentless.

So after hearing from cooking experts that these Jack Mackerel are very good eating I kept a few for myself and tried a loin tonight. As someone else stated here...I won't be throwing any away. They are excellent. One of my customers emailed me saying he marinated his for a couple hours in soya, ginger, brown sugar and green onions...which is very similar to how I prepare my salmon. Then he barbecued it. I didn't want to flash up the barbi so I just put some olive oil and butter in a small frying pan and cooked it on the stove. Ate it all and looking forward to the rest I vacuumed packed and froze. I will be trying for more on the weekend. The only thing to do when cleaning them is after removing the skin on the fillet. remove the dark flesh that runs down the middle of the fillet under the skin. It doesn't run the entire depth of the fillet so a knife held on a 45 deg angle on either side of the dark flesh will remove it all. What a bonus to take as many as possible and know you are saving baby salmon and gathering good meat too!

Initial discussion of mackerel catches and the treatment of these catches was “civilized”. For those that are interested or like mackerels, they were either kept or otherwise released. Then the opinion of taking as many of these fish as you can. (and then proceed to kill them off and don’t release these fish alive come into light) to get rid of these mackerels, I find it’s important to look up more information on Pacific Jack Mackerel. As I would not like my kids to be misinformed, and just taking wrong actions.

These are just a part of what I found in respect to the distribution range of Pacific jack mackerel and it seems their range has been all the way to the Gulf of Alaska.

Pacific Jack Mackerel
From DFO
Mackerel (Scombridae)
Fairly abundant off west coast of Vancouver Island and Prince Rupert Harbour
Chub or Pacific mackerel: Average size: 45 cm but can reach 60 cm. Streamlined spindle shape. Two dorsal fins and five small finlets between second dorsal and tail
Jack mackerel: Bigger than Pacific mackerel, reaching 80 cm. Only one finlet following second dorsal fin

From NOAA
Range
* Pacific mackerel are found from southeastern Alaska to Mexico but are most common south of Point Conception, California
Habitat
* Pacific mackerel live within 20 miles of shore in water ranging from 50˚ to 72˚ F.
From Fishbase
DistributionCountries | FAO areas | Ecosystems | Occurrences | Point map | Introductions | Faunafri
Eastern Pacific: southeastern Alaska to southern Baja California, Mexico and the Gulf of California; reported from Acapulco in Mexico and the Galapagos Islands.

From Pacific fishery management council
Jack mackerel (Trachurus symmetricus) are a schooling fish that range widely throughout the northeastern Pacific. They grow to about 60 cm and can live 35 years or longer. Much of their range lies outside the 200-mile U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Small jack mackerel (up to six years of age) are most abundant in the Southern California Bight. Older, larger fish range from Baja California to the Gulf of Alaska. In southern California waters, jack mackerel schools are often found over rocky banks, artificial reefs, and shallow rocky coastal areas. They remain near the bottom or under kelp canopies during daylight and venture into deeper surrounding areas at night. Young juvenile fish sometimes form small schools beneath floating kelp and debris in the open sea.
Small jack mackerel taken off southern California and northern Baja California eat large zooplankton, juvenile squid, and anchovy.
Large predators like tuna and billfish eat jack mackerel, but adult jack mackerel are probably a minor forage source for smaller predators. Older jack mackerel probably do not contribute significantly to food supplies of marine birds because they are too large to be eaten by most bird species, and they school too deep for birds to reach them. They do not appear to be an important food source for marine mammals.

From 1967 publication prepared by C.E. Blunt Jr. for the Annual Conference of the California Cooperative Oceanic Fisheries Investigations, Lake Arrowhead, California, 11-12 December 1967.
“ The northern extension of the range has been well documented by the high seas sampling program of the International North Pacific Fisheries Commission (INPFC). Significant numbers of large, adult jackmakerel were taken in a series of gill net sets during 1955 in the Gulf of Alaska as far north as lat. 57º30’N”

From Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture
The Jack Mackerel is the only species which occurs in Puget Sound. It is a pelagic jack which can be found near the surface or at depths up to 180 meters or more. It often swims in large schools and feeds on a variety of pelagic invertebrates and small fishes. This species is usually found offshore and is a rare visitor to Puget Sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back