Status
Not open for further replies.
Took some friends from out of town yesterday from 1100 till 1530. Rods the current from the head to past secretary and back. It was slow hitting small pockets of fish.

Ended up with 4 keepers of medium size and threw back some nice big wilds.

Depths and lures were not consistent. Ranged from 45ft to 70ft

Friends thought it was great fishing, I thought it was slow.

7:30 to 3:30 yesterday. Started the morning at Aldridge. In 180ft or water and 61 and 71 on the DR's we had a double. Surprised to pull in two nice rock cod. They must have been up off of the bottom visiting all the baitfish near the surface. Lots of shakers off of the head and trap area. Brought 6 nice wilds to the boat and ended up with 3 clipped coho,,,, 4, 5 and 7lbs. (61-71ft on DR on spoons) A couple of guys on the radio noted that they were deep so drop the one side to 125ft and then 135ft and released a couple of 3-4 lb chinooks. Long day with some very slow periods but will take a good day on the water with a couple of fish anytime.

7:30 to 3:30 yesterday. Started the morning at Aldridge. In 180ft or water and 61 and 71 on the DR's we had a double. Surprised to pull in two nice rock cod. They must have been up off of the bottom visiting all the baitfish near the surface. Lots of shakers off of the head and trap area. Brought 6 nice wilds to the boat and ended up with 3 clipped coho,,,, 4, 5 and 7lbs. (61-71ft on DR on spoons) A couple of guys on the radio noted that they were deep so drop the one side to 125ft and then 135ft and released a couple of 3-4 lb chinooks. Long day with some very slow periods but will take a good day on the water with a couple of fish anytime.
I glided past you on Sunday and waved. Boat looked good out there.

We noticed they were deeper too. My third rod on the surface got no bites that day.

Ive taken my boat out for the season. As im off moose hunting this week then butchering like crazy in oct.
I decided to not do coho this year as with no clipping done by our hatchery here for many years dont think its viable.

Just wanted to Say thanks to the fellow fishermen out in sooke for such a great year and the good times chatting back and forth on water. WAS one for the record books for sure probally the best Aug fishery ive seen ever.
Good luck wolf

Ive taken my boat out for the season. As im off moose hunting this week then butchering like crazy in oct.
I decided to not do coho this year as with no clipping done by our hatchery here for many years dont think its viable.

Just wanted to Say thanks to the fellow fishermen out in sooke for such a great year and the good times chatting back and forth on water. WAS one for the record books for sure probally the best Aug fishery ive seen ever.
Good luck wolf
Have a great trip

Good luck wolf
Hey Wolf, just wanted to say a big thanks to you for all your contributions to the local fishing community. My son Zach and I went fishing with you when he was just a keen pup, and studied everything you did! He's spent the past two seasons guiding up in rivers inlet and carries on the fishing passion! These 2 pics are probably 18 years apart! Take a kid fishing!

Attachments

• IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 179
  • 731210ad-b7b9-4cc3-9dbe-0f651f20aa58.JPG
    731210ad-b7b9-4cc3-9dbe-0f651f20aa58.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 177

Good luck wolf
We have had many good hatchery coho this September. Maybe the survival rate has improved this year? I’m sure the other guides will do very well.

Good luck wolf
2024 = Sausage Rolls! 😂. Thank you for your kindness shown to all.

Hey Wolf, just wanted to say a big thanks to you for all your contributions to the local fishing community. My son Zach and I went fishing with you when he was just a keen pup, and studied everything you did! He's spent the past two seasons guiding up in rivers inlet and carries on the fishing passion! These 2 pics are probably 18 years apart! Take a kid fishing!
I remember that day for sure he was a great kid and yes he was a sponge , Glad i made a impact on him.
Thanks for the kind words.
Wolf

From a few guys I talked to it has been slow.

Heard a rumor that DFO may shut down halibut coast wide on Sept. 30. Such BS considering the rec sector left 90,000 lbs. in the water last year!!! :mad:

Yep not a rumour it's closing end of month. We used up the TAC. Notice should be out next few days. We can't carry over that poundage last year and it was opened early in Spring to make sure everyone had a shot at it. It's always a tricky thing to get max season which everyone says they want. You either under or over.

I won't be able to make next few days down there when currents are good. Too bad. Get out now guys if u can.

Last edited:
Be good to see DFO numbers and analysis to justify this early closure.

I believe @Cut Plug has worked with Chris on the model before on how its calculated in 19/20. I believe it is a combination of logbook, data, creel and flyover.

We sort of been lucky last few years as the TAC was a lot bigger. Now with lodges going full tilt and salmon closures it sort of made sense we hammered through it. Plus a lot of effort shifted other areas.

The most ideal solution is more TAC but I can't see that happening.

Anyhow back to reports 😑

Last edited:
Went out last night for a couple hours, about 5:30 rods down...aimed for the head, but there was a big yellow boat hanging out there. Knowing what that means, we steared further East and out to 400' of water. My wife kept the binoculars out though and we soon knew there was a pod of orcas hanging tight to Beechey, and they didn't seem to be moving very fast. We trolled out, then West a bit, out some more....nothing. After about an hour, around 630, the whales headed East towards us so we circled around to give them space and see if you could find the fish the orcas may have been targeting (or the seals/sealing targeting them). Nothing. We circled, and changed offerings in much shorter times than would normally...saw some fish and balls on the sonar...but only one hit-like action all night, and that didn't stick. Guess it's true...when the orcas are around, an area can go completely dead. Packed it in by 730. Beautiful night for a boat ride.

Attachments

• 20230920_191127.jpg
    20230920_191127.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 41
Off of Pedder today for hali after going 0 for 10 in the clipped coho department yesterday. Solo as both of my fishing buddies had other commitments. On the hook from 7:30 to noon. 3 dogs, a ratfish and then a nice 122cm hali at noon. 54lbs on my little digital scale. Could not have come at a better time as my grandkids had my hali supply down to bare bones. I thought it was going to be much bigger. The current had picked up but it felt heavier. A quick measurement at the side of the boat with my stick put it at 124cm so I landed it and re-measured and all good at 122cm. Good day to be solo.

Fished today from noon till 3.30 with my wife.
All the reports about no fish out there well, i was a little anxious.
I did not sit down longer than two minutes without getting a fish.
it started with small springs one after another so I decided to move a couple miles way and we started to get doubles after doubles. Decent size coho’s.
Most fish were between 60 to seventy feet, hootchies and spoons.
We ended up out with three nice clipped coho’s. We released 20 plus fish; some as big as 12lbs. To top it up we had whales show up close to otter point!

Good action today on coho 70-100Ft..Got our limit and a spring as well.I was running small Apex's and buddy was using spoons.The Apex's seemed to work better.Great weather and no fog.

First time ever fishing in my boat at Sooke out at Beechey Head and I jig’d a nice keeper Clipped Coho. (Or a Hatch Ho as I’m now learning the slang 😂). Jigging may not be as productive as trolling with a downrigger but damn it’s fun when they hit. Plus we saw a nice humpback so what a beautiful day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back