Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! Thinking of going out for hali this Tuesday as wind looks good but not sure about tide/ currents. Any thoughts? Appreciate your opinion
Currents do not look good Tuesday. Too fast. Doesn’t slow down till Saturday.
Important to learn to read the current tables to stay safe and be productive.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Thinking of going out for hali this Tuesday as wind looks good but not sure about tide/ currents. Any thoughts? Appreciate your opinion
Don’t risk it because you’re excited to get out and fish. Make sure you read weather and current before you head out. If you’re drifting, you can try that but not recommending to anchor on Tuesday. If you’re asking if it’s safe to anchor on Tuesday then you’re probably not comfortable with tide tables.

I use dairiki to read current forecast and it’s been somewhat pretty reliable.

Out yesterday for salmon and played around 20 springs but most were in the 5-8 pound range and clipped, 2-3 in the 10-12 pound range and 3 others that would have been better fish but they shock off fairly early. Released 2 wild coho and kept 2 hatch. Best action was early from 6 to 8 am. 40-55 ft all on SkinnyG’s. I like fishing the spoons during the non-retention periods as all seem to get hooked in the corner of the mouth and they are easy to let go unharmed. All of them just grabbed the spoon and turned the hook out after clients get picture of the fish along side of the boat.

Out yesterday for salmon and played around 20 springs but most were in the 5-8 pound range and clipped, 2-3 in the 10-12 pound range and 3 others that would have been better fish but they shock off fairly early. Released 2 wild coho and kept 2 hatch. Best action was early from 6 to 8 am. 40-55 ft all on SkinnyG’s. I like fishing the spoons during the non-retention periods as all seem to get hooked in the corner of the mouth and they are easy to let go unharmed. All of them just grabbed the spoon and turned the hook out after clients get picture of the fish along side of the boat.

Any size to the coho ?

Out fishing near Beechey Head this morning. Lots of 1" and 3" bait being pushed to the surface and chased against the shore. No takers for the different lures i presented. Merlin was disappointed in my efforts:
Focuson Beechey.png

Nice! Targeting Coho?
Yes. I read they were in, but the only angler I talked to today had seen none. Tried buzz bombs and stingsildas in different sizes and colors. There was activity against the shore while the tide was going out but it dissapated once the currents settled.

Last edited:
One of those beautiful fishing days today..overcast (no rain, no wind and no sunscreen) flat calm, just 3 charter boats fishing the spot all morning and into 10 springs with 2 of them 25 pounds (beautiful chrome fat fish) released at the boat and another 20 lb plus that let go on the surface about 15ft away. Released the rest between 5-12 pounds. Not much bait on the first early pass then it showed up an hour later. 40-50ft with Skinny G's worked. 7 Dungies to finish the short 4 hour trip.

One of those beautiful fishing days today..overcast (no rain, no wind and no sunscreen) flat calm, just 3 charter boats fishing the spot all morning and into 10 springs with 2 of them 25 pounds (beautiful chrome fat fish) released at the boat and another 20 lb plus that let go on the surface about 15ft away. Released the rest between 5-12 pounds. Not much bait on the first early pass then it showed up an hour later. 40-50ft with Skinny G's worked. 7 Dungies to finish the short 4 hour trip.
Yes....it was a nice day. We got into 8 springs today, 2 very nice (20 Ibs) one wild & one hatchery. The rest were in the 5-8 lb range. When the bait moved in, it was on fire. Also used Skinny G's, one black & white the other was green & white. My DR was at 45ft and 65ft. Also 2 wild Coho. All fish where immediately released back into the water, just used pliers.

out from 630-8pm last night fishing was excellent landed quite a few springs 12-14lbs one around 20lbs lost a few other nice ones all on anchovy’s.

Attachments

• 3FCF5CEC-C580-4418-BB27-8698875B035A.jpeg
    3FCF5CEC-C580-4418-BB27-8698875B035A.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 149
Any pinks showing up yet ? This is supposed to be the year for pinks......... thanx.................C.A.....

Fished in the bay open zone for a couple of hours and released one unclipped 12# and lost another. Poked out around Aldridge and in short order got into a few small coho and pinks. Early, but it seems Humpies from hell has begun. Didn't feel like venturing out into cold and the grey beyond Aldridge pt.

Fished in the bay open zone for a couple of hours and released one unclipped 12# and lost another. Poked out around Aldridge and in short order got into a few small coho and pinks. Early, but it seems Humpies from hell has begun. Didn't feel like venturing out into cold and the grey beyond Aldridge pt.
I was also out there this morning. Caught a nice wild spring just off Lamb Island in 80’ down 42’. 10-12 lbs. Nothing else in the bay so trolled out to Aldridge, had a decent hit coming back in started reeling then it went nuts! Peeled line like a 30lb spring! Finally got it in near Creike and landed for a quick pic as it was unclipped. Probably only 15lbs but man did it fight!

Attachments

• IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 127
Happy Canada day my fellow anglers!

No reports since last weekend. Possibly heading out to sooke tomorrow. Anyone out last few days? looking to see if the coho and pinks are starting to show up in decent numbers yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back