Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the map you can still fish Renfrew for 1 spring up to 80 cm July 15 to Aug 1
Does that map indicate that area 20-2 is open for 80 cm springs from the beach?? from the end of the spit to the bridge ??

I didn’t fish opening day but made another run to the bank with a friend from Alberta and my son today. Fog never really lifted other than for about 30 mins but still decent visibility. We got our 3 Springs pretty quick 12-15lbs @brutus….lol
Switched over for Halibut and it was good again as well. We brought back a 125cm…110cm…85cm and an 82cm. It was a really flat run out in the morning and decent ride back as well. Crabbing is still spotty but can always get a few it seems for a meal. Going to spend the day fishing the beach tomorrow and see what’s happening.

I wonder if the whales know their protected area moved,
was at nit nat for two days w/multiple boats around only saw one net,quiet.got 2 Hali at the bank

Heard August 1 /31st
1 fish per day 80cm slot
Not true. Fisheries Notice 0653 released on Thursday said this:

Subareas 20-1 and 20-2 (excluding those portions listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours July 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit

Of course they could change this on July 31, but I think that is highly unlikely. Why would they announce it now to remove it in 2 weeks?

What is the source of your information?

Last edited:
Heard August 1 /31st
1 fish per day 80cm slot
I do believe that is the current regulation July 15 to 31
Aug. 1 is yet to be announced.
Hoping for same regs as last year. 2 Chinook any size wild or clipped.

August
I do believe that is the current regulation July 15 to 31
Aug. 1 is yet to be announced.
Hoping for same regs as last year. 2 Chinook any size wild or clipped.

Incorrect. Read Fisheries Notice 0653 which was released on Thursday. They did announce the August 1 rules. They could change the rules, but I doubt they will, as I said in my post.

did read it that part is the same as last year
I would be great is you could post the language you see

CHINOOK NON-RETENTION AREAS:

Effective 00:01 hours July 15 until 23:59 hours October 25, 2023, the following areas are Chinook non-retention areas:

- Those portions of Subareas 20-1 and 20-2 shoreward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light, and Whistle Buoy, and to Woods Nose.

did read it that part is the same as last year
I would be great is you could post the language you see

Effective 00:01 hours July 15 until 23:59 hours October 25, 2023, the following areas are Chinook non-retention areas:

- Those portions of Subareas 20-1 and 20-2 shoreward of a line between a square white boundary sign at Owen Point, the Port San Juan Light, and Whistle Buoy, and to Woods Nose.

It’s in there. Here’s the part of the notice concerning area 20:

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0653-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook Management Measures - Southeast Vancouver Island - Areas 18, 19, 20, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 - effective August 1, 2023; and Subareas 20-1, 20-2, Effective July 15, 2023

This notice advises fishers of the recreational Chinook fishing opportunities and other local closures and non-retention areas for Areas 18, 19, 20, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 that are in effect August 1, 2023. This notice also includes measures in effect July 15, 2023, for Subareas 20-1, 20-2, 29-1, and 29-2.

For all areas, any in-season changes or terminal opportunities based on abundance will be announced by subsequent Fishery Notice(s). Fishers are reminded to check the DFO website before they go fishing for current regulations in effect that day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AREA 20:

SALMON FISHING CLOSURES:

Fishers are advised that portions of Subarea 20-1 are closed to salmon fishing from 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours October 31, 2023. Portions of Subarea 20-5 are closed to salmon fishing from 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours October 31, 2023. These measures are in place to support Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery. More details will be announced in a subsequent Fishery Notice.

FINFISH CLOSURES:

Effective 00:01 hours August 15 until 23:59 hours September 4, 2023, the following areas are closed to fishing for all finfish:

-In Area 20, those waters that are inside a line that begins at a white square boundary sign located approximately .8 nautical miles west of Owen Point, then to 48°32.45’ north latitude and 124°32.05’ west longitude, then to the Port San Juan Light and Whistle Buoy, then to Woods Nose, then across Port San Juan to a white square boundary sign at 48°33.23’ north latitude and 124°28.55’ west longitude.

Effective 00:01 hours August 1 until 23:59 hours October 15, 2023, the following areas are Chinook non-retention areas:

-Subareas 20-6 and 20-7

AREA 20 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those closed and non-retention periods listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours July 15 to 23:59 hours July 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit

Subareas 20-3 to 20-7 (excluding those portions listed above):

-Effective 00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: One (1) Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.

-Effective 00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: Two (2) Chinook per day, no maximum size limit.

REMINDER: Chinook minimum size limit is 45 cm in Area 20.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

they don't make it easy!!!
This is what I see....which is the same as last year

AREA 20 Chinook retention opportunities (excluding those closed and non-retention periods listed above):

they don't make it easy!!!
This is what I see....which is the same as last year

It does involve some careful reading of both the notice and the measures that are in place to support Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery. I draw all the boundaries on my GPS, as well as the speed restricted areas near Swiftsure Bank. I honestly think compliance is pretty much impossible without drawing the boundaries on a chart plotter. It takes some time but once done it makes it easy to know the rules and where they apply.

It does involve some careful reading of both the notice and the measures that are in place to support Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery. I draw all the boundaries on my GPS, as well as the speed restricted areas near Swiftsure Bank. I honestly think compliance is pretty much impossible without drawing the boundaries on a chart plotter. It takes some time but once done it makes it easy to know the rules and where they apply.
Stand corrected, I read the area 20 info and as stated by the patient SFB crowd,we can fish for mature springs over 80cm and keep 2 a day if you choose.

Grateful more each season to fish for these amazing creatures.

The other **** shovelled down our throat by the libturds I’m not a fan of.

Thank you SBC.

Fishing offshore is still good but halibut has been slower this week. The Springs are pretty consistent along the beach now and seems to be lots of clipped Coho but not real big. Crabbing is slowing down but still some around. We saw a Sun Fish on our way back from Swiftsure last time out. It was neat to see. There is bait everywhere this year…..offshore and along the beach. Another week then back to the old grind. Good luck out there……

Attachments

• IMG_8187.jpeg
    IMG_8187.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back