2023 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean wild Coho?
Sounds like it. I watched a kid catch 6 coho in half an hour off the gas dock in TC - but that was in late August.

- Coho are 1 hatchery and 1 wild per day June 1 to July 31 in Queen Charlotte Strait - hatchery only after that, except in the mainland inlets.
- Chinook are [based on July 13 notice]
- 1 per day 62-80 cm marked or unmarked July 15 - Aug 16;
- 1 per day - 62+ cm - Aug 17-31;
- 2 per day - 62+ cm - after Aug 31.

These maps really help visualize:
They are kind of hidden - on the DFO site, you go into
  1. Recreational fishing in BC
  2. Management areas
Then the area you want [12], then the Salmon limits, then you finally see the map links above. So much easier than all the lat and long and other details in the Fisheries Notices.

Last edited:
My family and i are coming up july 28-30. And staying at Alder bay. What is the shore fishing like there that time of year. Should i bring my fishing kayak to go just out front of the campground?
Clux has jumpers but not many other places yet.

Is there any reports of pinks off the beach at cluxue or the eve yet? We are headed that way for a couple of weeks camping and are only bring my 10ft inflatable with a 9.9, any direction for some spots that we could reach from Naka creek or cluxue in my tiny boat to cast for some coho would also be appreciated.

Last Sunday I spent some time trolling along the Cracroft shore across from Naka. No sign of any pink or coho then. The seine test boat off Blinkhorn picked up a few yesterday so it looks like they’re starting to show up.

First day out for me in a few weeks, fishing north/east Malcolm. Definitely some pinks showing over there, they were even interested in my 6 inch spoons. Springs are biting. Didn't see any coho today. Life is good.

Slow for our first day here today. Released a bunch of Pinks north east of Malcom. Caught a couple of good size springs at Malcom point. No coho yet. Hope to have some luck with Hali tomorrow.

Slow for our first day here today. Released a bunch of Pinks north east of Malcom. Caught a couple of good size springs at Malcom point. No coho yet. Hope to have some luck with Hali tomorrow.
We just left -- springs were sporadic, and of course some too big to keep. I heard coho are showing at Cluxewe. Where are you trying for halibut?

I know the one. I haven't tried it, but I've fished both sides of the Kelp Patch [depending on the tide] and caught halibut on each. Nothing big, but a local who grew up at Pultenay Pt told me her brother caught 100 lber right near the Kelp Patch - in a rowboat.

We fished Donegal this morning. Pretty good spring bite. We released a few oversize. Managed 1 wild coho. Hopefully that’s a sign of things to come.

Is there any reports of pinks off the beach at cluxue or the eve yet? We are headed that way for a couple of weeks camping and are only bring my 10ft inflatable with a 9.9, any direction for some spots that we could reach from Naka creek or cluxue in my tiny boat to cast for some coho would also be appreciated.
Pinks are there off clux, as well as random beaches off McNeill.

AND - a few teener chinook have been caught off Cluxewe right at the old boat launch.

Heading to Alder bay across from Alert bay on Thursday. Whats the word for salmon in the channel there along the shore. Will have my kayak with me but wont be paddling far.
Would my kids have any luck off the rocks in the campground?

Heading to Alder bay across from Alert bay on Thursday. Whats the word for salmon in the channel there along the shore. Will have my kayak with me but wont be paddling far.
Would my kids have any luck off the rocks in the campground?
I haven’t seen anyone casting from the rock yet. There are coho in the channel but I believe non retention between alder bay and alert bay.
West of alder bay around 2.5 knots is Beaver cove, next to telegraph cove marina, you can catch spring and coho there, troll from one point to the other, or go inside and jig for some rock cod. Have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back