2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to give it a short shot this morning at Hutt. Push off at 8:30 and a smooth run up the eastern side of Bowen. Lots of wood, floating trees and branches on the way didn’t get our hopes high. When we came off plane hopes were even lower when we got a closer look at the water. Very cloudy and dirty. Too much rain and outflow in the past few days? Trolled around for a couple of hours. Lots of bait marked on the sounder but not much balled up with arches. One solid hit but popped off at the start of its first run on this tiny spoon matched with a cb55 black Gibbs flasher at 103’ crossing the drop at the western end of Hutt. Really nice day and the sun popped out frequently. Pulled lines at 11:30 and headed back to the dark clouds over the city.
IMG_0609.jpeg

Decided to give it a short shot this morning at Hutt. Push off at 8:30 and a smooth run up the eastern side of Bowen. Lots of wood, floating trees and branches on the way didn’t get our hopes high. When we came off plane hopes were even lower when we got a closer look at the water. Very cloudy and dirty. Too much rain and outflow in the past few days? Trolled around for a couple of hours. Lots of bait marked on the sounder but not much balled up with arches. One solid hit but popped off at the start of its first run on this tiny spoon matched with a cb55 black Gibbs flasher at 103’ crossing the drop at the western end of Hutt. Really nice day and the sun popped out frequently. Pulled lines at 11:30 and headed back to the dark clouds over the city.
View attachment 99185
Is that the 2 inch or the 3 inch AP Tackleworks spoon? Looks like the herring version?

Is that the 2 inch or the 3 inch AP Tackleworks spoon? Looks like the herring version?
It’s the tiny 2 inch AP herring trolling flutter spoons. i find the bait in the winter in Howe Sound is barely longer than a twoonie. Grabbed the cop car, ghost and lemon lime to try out for winters. Picked up a bunch of other colours that might be interesting for pinks sockeye and coho as well. Replaced hooks with some barbless 2/0 and 3/0 hooks.

It’s the tiny 2 inch AP herring trolling flutter spoons. i find the bait in the winter in Howe Sound is barely longer than a twoonie. Grabbed the cop car, ghost and lemon lime to try out for winters. Picked up a bunch of other colours that might be interesting for pinks sockeye and coho as well. Replaced hooks with some barbless 2/0 and 3/0 hooks.
You can see the larger hook for sure. I will definitely have to get some of the 2 inch herring versions because I have a couple of 3 inch and they work very well.

Heard of a distress call from a vessel around Spanish banks . Was mentioned on the news possible body washed up. Hope this is not the case . Anyone hear anything ?
Stay safe out there .

Heard of a distress call from a vessel around Spanish banks . Was mentioned on the news possible body washed up. Hope this is not the case . Anyone hear anything ?
Stay safe out there .
Sounds like a body's been found.

they do look awesome i was going to try some of those this winter i got a few from ap

By himself? That seems strange. Originally there were 2 people In the story yesterday. Now they say only one.

I thought the same, plus odd a tug would go down like that unless it was run down by a tow. Plus crew of one? Regardless terrible accident in our local waters. Rip

I thought the same, plus odd a tug would go down like that unless it was run down by a tow. Plus crew of one? Regardless terrible accident in our local waters. Rip
I was piloting an older sailboat for a friend south from Comox to SaltSpring and was just south of Hornby when this happened. Winds were NW 25knots gusting to 35 on a big ebb tide which always creates a horrible mess off the North Arm. We shredded our mainsail & completely lost the rudder just off Bowser - we called in a Pan-Pan just so CG could keep tabs on us 'til we limped into French Creek for emergency repairs. Coast Guard was dropping parachute flares all night looking for other victims. A HeliJet 'copter got hit by lightening on it's way to Victoria....pretty sure he flew right over us as we headed down Trincomali Channel. That was a long, uncomfortable & sleepless 36 hours but eventually got my friends newest addition to his fleet into Ganges late yesterday. Time for a nap! ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_125641_Chrome[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_125641_Chrome[1].jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 79
I was piloting an older sailboat for a friend south from Comox to SaltSpring and was just south of Hornby when this happened. Winds were NW 25knots gusting to 35 on a big ebb tide which always creates a horrible mess off the North Arm. We shredded our mainsail & completely lost the rudder just off Bowser - we called in a Pan-Pan just so CG could keep tabs on us 'til we limped into French Creek for emergency repairs. Coast Guard was dropping parachute flares all night looking for other victims. A HeliJet 'copter got hit by lightening on it's way to Victoria....pretty sure he flew right over us as we headed down Trincomali Channel. That was a long, uncomfortable & sleepless 36 hours but eventually got my friends newest addition to his fleet into Ganges late yesterday. Time for a nap! ;)

Wow, ya you've well earned it. That was some crazy weather for sure.

Time for a stiff drink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back