2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
pulled mine from the slip as it was a waterlogged boat had to cut a hatch and fitted auto bilge but still did not trust it sat in the slip just in case as the above pic is one of my worst fears ..... come spring have got to cut a slot up the floor and pull out most of the waterlogged flotation old foam and get it re sprayed with closed cell.....
Might be worth looking at EPE sheet foam if you can install it.

Advantages over 2 part foam discussed in that video

While the ignorance ultimately is the owner’s…what really sucks is that a simple battery charger and flip of a bilge switch or a phone call by the Marina staff could have prevented this. You would think a simple walk through each morning would take place. Maybe the owner got sidetracked with a tragedy or a hospital stay or something like that. I used to keep my boat there and I’ll say that the attitude of people around that marina is zero f’s given- and that extends to the Marina staff.

If I had walked past it, I would have done something about it. I’ve pumped a couple of boats out down there before-and told the marina office to call the owner to come on down and charge the battery up and tell the owner a sinking was prevented.

Something else worth doing is posting your phone number on your boat for emergencies. This is one of my dock neighbours boat last night. I tried the marina, which was closed, to get a hold of this guy. Another neighbour (who had their number posted) was able to get ahold of him. I had it half bailed out before he got down there. His bilge just quit at the worst time. Maybe I’m paranoid, but I check on things during or after any weather event, wind or rain.

Attachments

• IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 226
Would anyone buy a solar powered smart water level sensor that sends you a text, or a pic of your boat about to sink? You’d have to have a wifi connection nearby or buy a SIM card for it.

While the ignorance ultimately is the owner’s…what really sucks is that a simple battery charger and flip of a bilge switch or a phone call by the Marina staff could have prevented this. You would think a simple walk through each morning would take place. Maybe the owner got sidetracked with a tragedy or a hospital stay or something like that. I used to keep my boat there and I’ll say that the attitude of people around that marina is zero f’s given- and that extends to the Marina staff.

If I had walked past it, I would have done something about it. I’ve pumped a couple of boats out down there before-and told the marina office to call the owner to come on down and charge the battery up and tell the owner a sinking was prevented.
That’s the code. Do what you can to help a fellow boater

What about a solar powered fishing report? Anyone got one of those?
Haha, I’ve been itchin. Maybe if the sun peeks out today I’ll give it a couple hours.

All this boat sinking talk makes me glad I trailer my boat… my worst nightmare. I don’t think I could sleep well if I moored my boat long term.

Hey Wildthing! My auto bilge pump (in the Biddison) stopped working a couple weeks ago after the first 2 days of rain we had...lucky I went to check. Water was right up to the pulleys. Always make the effort to check after heavy rains...you never know.
did we not leave two pumps in her ? i know one was an auto but if crap gets in it can make the float switch stick .... and it all bails to the bilge area thought you where only in for the summer months ???? anyways good lad checking on her .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back