2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished 530-830 south Bowen last night. Trolled from Cowan to RC and landed two wild coho and two Chinook, as well as another 10+ fish lost. Calm water and great conditions. Most action was near RC around tide change, it was on fire for about half an hour with non stop action. White hoochies shallow 20-50 as usual getting most hits and a few on spoons. I have the hoochies rigged with a couple beads, swivel, and siwash hook, and might try rigging them with with tandem hooks as our landing ratio was abysmal.

Has anyone figured out a productive way to fish hoochies without a full size flasher? I was experimenting with action discs, Jugheads, and mini flashers and dodgers but couldn't get it dialed in.

Fished 530-830 south Bowen last night. Trolled from Cowan to RC and landed two wild coho and two Chinook, as well as another 10+ fish lost. Calm water and great conditions. Most action was near RC around tide change, it was on fire for about half an hour with non stop action. White hoochies shallow 20-50 as usual getting most hits and a few on spoons. I have the hoochies rigged with a couple beads, swivel, and siwash hook, and might try rigging them with with tandem hooks as our landing ratio was abysmal.

Has anyone figured out a productive way to fish hoochies without a full size flasher? I was experimenting with action discs, Jugheads, and mini flashers and dodgers but couldn't get it dialed in.
At what point are you losing them? I would guess it is mostly the single hook getting pulled out, as your number of hits is impressive. I had a former lodge owner, and Bill Haymond (Science of Salmon Fishing author) with me a few days ago. We all observed and agreed that:

coho have a soft mouth, especially hatchery.
must be a super sharp hook.
hook needs the required twist and slight closing of the gap.
watch when the flasher breaks the surface and then backoff on any pulling action at that moment. (or the hook rips out)
no setting the hook.
let them roll and thump on the line until they come to the surface on their own, then they usually surf in on their side.
keep their head in or under water if possible at the boat.
if lifting them into the boat by the flasher or leader, do it quickly and always towards the boat, not along the side and in, as soft mouth kicks in.
against my habits, idling the kicker when a coho is on has helped a lot, but mostly for guests that pull too hard or don't watch for the flasher.

You seem to be getting plenty of hits, so your gear combo is working well for you to that point. I have my method of flasher, hoochie, distance from cannonball etc. but you're killing it there. Tandem hooks do increase damage and the need for pliers if they are wild or undersize.

See you out there.

After losing a bunch the first couple days I noticed the ones that were sticking better had this shape of hook (pic). Minus the barb of course (but I’m sure that would help a bit…) So I made sure to swap out my other hoochies and it made a difference. Also tandem hooks tight together and opposite directions. Unlike chinook speed trolling, I do slow down a bit when the fish is on. Also, Aquaholics flasher trick seems to help as well. 07E4AB04-7CC4-4336-9329-376D10CA0B72.jpeg

At what point are you losing them? I would guess it is mostly the single hook getting pulled out, as your number of hits is impressive. I had a former lodge owner, and Bill Haymond (Science of Salmon Fishing author) with me a few days ago. We all observed and agreed that:

coho have a soft mouth, especially hatchery.
must be a super sharp hook.
hook needs the required twist and slight closing of the gap.
watch when the flasher breaks the surface and then backoff on any pulling action at that moment. (or the hook rips out)
no setting the hook.
let them roll and thump on the line until they come to the surface on their own, then they usually surf in on their side.
keep their head in or under water if possible at the boat.
if lifting them into the boat by the flasher or leader, do it quickly and always towards the boat, not along the side and in, as soft mouth kicks in.
against my habits, idling the kicker when a coho is on has helped a lot, but mostly for guests that pull too hard or don't watch for the flasher.

You seem to be getting plenty of hits, so your gear combo is working well for you to that point. I have my method of flasher, hoochie, distance from cannonball etc. but you're killing it there. Tandem hooks do increase damage and the need for pliers if they are wild or undersize.

See you out there.
Great info! Most fish were lost as the flasher broke the surface as you've said. Hooks are VMC 3/0 or 4/0 and I keep the point sticky sharp but they do have a large gap and I haven't offset them. Keeping the line tight or slack didn't seem to make much difference, I'll try different hooks and see what happens.

Great info! Most fish were lost as the flasher broke the surface as you've said. Hooks are VMC 3/0 or 4/0 and I keep the point sticky sharp but they do have a large gap and I haven't offset them. Keeping the line tight or slack didn't seem to make much difference, I'll try different hooks and see what happens.
you can take pliers and close that gap a bit so it looks more like the one A-a-Ron posted, turn it inwards a bit, and coupled with a twist it seems to help. (claw style?)

you can take pliers and close that gap a bit so it looks more like the one A-a-Ron posted, turn it inwards a bit, and coupled with a twist it seems to help. (claw style?)
Another thing I see so many anglers doing that loses fish is "pumping the rod" Just a smooth steady retrieve is optimal . Unless its peeling line of course! Lol.

I've been wondering the past few days (since losing 3 screamers Sunday), what to change. I thought of going to neutral while playing the fish (I've lost too many when others have done this to me on their boats). Fishing naked (no flasher) and closing the gap on the hooks seems the best option for the next outting.

I've been wondering the past few days (since losing 3 screamers Sunday), what to change. I thought of going to neutral while playing the fish (I've lost too many when others have done this to me on their boats). Fishing naked (no flasher) and closing the gap on the hooks seems the best option for the next outting.
I think I'll try the naked fishing on Friday (I'm not a flasher either). Hope I don't forget my sunblock.

I was using a single number four Gammy, but the eye damage to the non-retention fish was starting to add up so I went to number three’s and this is where you really have to calm down and not horse collar them in.

I fished a naked herring last time out, way more fun to play them anyways. Big wild coho went from hitting 60’ down to airborne in 5 seconds flat.

I was using a single number four Gammy, but the eye damage to the non-retention fish was starting to add up so I went to number three’s and this is where you really have to calm down and not horse collar them in.
I'm on #4's now and thinking of going smaller. I don't horse them, as I've caught many Coho over the years (usually bycatch). Didn't even set the hook; just tightened down on 'em. On another note; my buddy was out same time/place as us and got 2 hatch coho and a released spring and 2 wild coho.

I fished a naked herring last time out, way more fun to play them anyways. Big wild coho went from hitting 60’ down to airborne in 5 seconds flat.
Do you have a tandem hook set up where they’re spaced further apart to go thru the nose and the rear lateral line of a 5-6 inch herring? Love that Alaskan roll with whole herring.

Do you have a tandem hook set up where they’re spaced further apart to go thru the nose and the rear lateral line of a 5-6 inch herring? Love that Alaskan roll with whole herring.
I use a herring teaser head (with a wire to control the roll) first hook right near the teaser head, & trailing hook about 3-4” behind and just free dangling. More often than not they’re hooked by the trailing hook.

Fished south end of Bowen around Roger Curtis today. Bite was still great in the morning. Fished from 7:30 am till 1pm. Hit majority of our hatchery coho within the first hour and a half then it was wild after wild. We released 14 wild and finally got our 6th a final hatch around 12:45. Super fun day in the sun out there. Green glow flashers and the yamashita white hootchie was on fire. Caught a few on a Cop car color Brad's Cut plug as well. Steady bite between 44-50 in 250 to 450 feet of water. Son had a blast as did my Buddy and I. Tight lines!!

So tandem hooks on artificial baits such as hootchies are ok. Maybe I misread the regs. Pls confirm cause I definitely want to run tandem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back