2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished for 90 minutes off the mouth of Chaster Creek in 200-300’ from 3:00 - 4:30 and had steady action from aggressive fish. Kept 4 hatchery cohos. Released 3 wild cohos and 2 chinooks. Probably missed or lost another 6 fish (had some noobs onboard).

Kept the rods high at 45’ and 65’ and speed up above 3 mph. Purple sparkle flasher with purple / white hootchie was top action but I don’t find the hootchies hook up as well. Ran a green / silver flasher with a 3.5 green / white / black spoon on the deeper rod with good results.

Lots of fish out there and fun to get away from the pack. Fish seem really healthy and strong and full of baitfish.

Well, I call it the trough. So it's the trough to me. Most guys call it "deeper off South Bowen". But that's boring.

The amount of guys this is pissiing off, is epic. "You can't just name a spot!!"

Watch me.
There is an area off Nanaimo called the trough already, sorry. You will receive a cease and desist notice in the mail shortly from whoever is in charge here in the city of Nanaimo (nobody).

The guy that needed help on Saturday posted this on Vancouver Salmon Fishing. Not much freeboard on that Whaler for those wave conditions.
No link to copy, so here are 2 pics and his story:

Hi everyone. As many of you heard I'm the guy who's boat capsized at bowen on Saturday. I want to thank the other boaters that came to my aid and to the coastguard for the ride home.
As you can all guess, I lost everything. Both downriggers, cannonballs, huge tackle box, 4 fishing rods, anchor, all ropes and a bunch of personal gear. With the cost of the repairs and the tow I'm out a ton of money. I'm not asking for money. So please don't delete this. What I'm asking, is if anyone has spare or old gear they don't want or use I'd love any help that you can spare. Or even sell cheap.
Hope everyone has a great day and even better luck than I did. I had my limit of hatchery coho at that point too.
Thanks. Ian.
Admin please delete if this is not ok.

His follow up:

For those that want to know what happened. I had just packed up for the day. Raised my kicker and started the main. An older 2 stroke. Started heading north back to porteau cove when the engine died. I was going in the same direction as the rollers (I think ferry wakes) and I took 3 over the stern in about 25 seconds as I was trying to restart the main. Got it started once but as soon as I started to try and turn into the wakes it died again. Then took a forth and it started to roll. I grabbed my handheld radio off the dash and climbed around the boat as it went over. Called in a mayday and got picked up by another boater maybe 5 or 10 later.

355136188_6742887589089302_8178354232469689323_n.jpg355295296_6742887689089292_7116881432364938716_n.jpg

Last edited:
The guy that needed help on Saturday posted this on Vancouver Salmon Fishing. Not much freeboard on that Whaler for those wave conditions.
No link to copy, so here are 2 pics and his story:

Hi everyone. As many of you heard I'm the guy who's boat capsized at bowen on Saturday. I want to thank the other boaters that came to my aid and to the coastguard for the ride home.
As you can all guess, I lost everything. Both downriggers, cannonballs, huge tackle box, 4 fishing rods, anchor, all ropes and a bunch of personal gear. With the cost of the repairs and the tow I'm out a ton of money. I'm not asking for money. So please don't delete this. What I'm asking, is if anyone has spare or old gear they don't want or use I'd love any help that you can spare. Or even sell cheap.
Hope everyone has a great day and even better luck than I did. I had my limit of hatchery coho at that point too.
Thanks. Ian.
Admin please delete if this is not ok.

View attachment 94045View attachment 94044
At least he had his limit at that point...Jesus christmas man.

Cmon Stizzla you must have a few spots where you have deposited some cannon balls. Stizzla’s Hump
Dang that sucks!!! Glad he made out OK and at least true to the whaler legend she didn't sink!! Is the Vancouver salmon fishing thread a stand alone thread or is it on Facebook?

Very good water conditions, you could be out here in a car topper right now. Just leaving the hump and heading back to the trough. We did up a tack here in going to double back now.
Aw, man, it's getting closer for me getting my little boat in English bay.
Did take it to Allouette lake yesterday Sunday, found out she can do 15 mph top speed. Slowest is 1.5 to 2 mph. I think the max winds she and I can handle is around 10 knots. Someone told me it was blowing 10 to 15 knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back