2023 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is a pink year but because of the floods the pink smolt count leaving the fraser was the worst count on record so they are not expecting a big return
Thanks, I meant to say was it a pink year, and also say that chinook were incredible that year. Cheers.

FN0330 and FN0331 came in email this morning. They both had this:

"As these are interim measures, a further announcement on possible revised management actions, including any new mark-selective fisheries (MSFs) that may be approved, will be announced in a subsequent fishery notice".

That is what I recall seeing along the way, a subsequent fishery notice delivered after April 1st.

On another note, a guy on the Vancouver salmon site on Facebook crushed it at Grace yesterday. Tunstall was dead so they made the move and had a dream day.
There was plenty if time to properly prepare announcements now versus further announcements. No reason for a delay. Looks like just a repetition of last year. Sad 😔

There was plenty if time to properly prepare announcements now versus further announcements. No reason for a delay. Looks like just a repetition of last year. Sad 😔
We don't know that. If they cater to you know who, then kiss the easterly side of the straight from Vancouver harbour all the way past the apex. Gone bye bye. That decision has already been made. Just not public yet

This is the annual post to remind everyone that there is a thread to discuss the regulations in the Conservation forum. Please keep this thread for fishing reports as the title indicates. Yes, we know reports will be thin for awhile, but when people are searching the report thread I the years ahead, they don't want it to be cluttered with debates about DFO.

Thanks

Hi All. If I am reading the regs correctly I can practice catch and release in some areas of Howe Sound? Chinook is closed for retention but not specifically for fishing? Need something to do while the prawn traps are soaking and have a bunch of new spoons I want to try. Thanks for the help.

Hi All. If I am reading the regs correctly I can practice catch and release in some areas of Howe Sound? Chinook is closed for retention but not specifically for fishing? Need something to do while the prawn traps are soaking and have a bunch of new spoons I want to try. Thanks for the help.
Have you seen the Highwater Tackle map? Best to cross reference with the regs.

338496069_712917283852534_2875600590742996508_n.jpg

Great map! Many thanks. Does anyone know if a larger version is available that includes the Vancouver Island areas?
Highwater is a North Van shop, I assume they did this for their local customers. Maybe ask Harbour Chandler if they do a similar map. Double check against the regs, though.

You can also keep two hatchery coho if your lucky enough to get one on.

I didn’t think there would be any around this early. Maybe we will get lucky.
No, they are not be around until at least mid to late June. So be prepared to have a good story if you're fishing in a closed Chinook area to tell the fisheries officer. Fines have gone way up this year!

If you're upset about this, you need to direct your anger at Fisheries. Minister Murray who still has not made a decision on the MSF Chinook proposals for howe sound that would have created opportunities and contact your member of parliament.

No, they are not be around until at least mid to late June. So be prepared to have a good story if you're fishing in a closed Chinook area to tell the fisheries officer. Fines have gone way up this year!

If you're upset about this, you need to direct your anger at Fisheries. Minister Murray who still has not made a decision on the MSF Chinook proposals for howe sound that would have created opportunities and contact your member of parliament.
I hear you but I’d rather not fish for a year than contact my liberal MP. Five years of sending him letters about our state of fisheries and he only once responded with a short paragraph about how well this government was protecting the ocean for future generations. Bunch of irrelevant BS that wasn’t even worth the paper it was printed on. We either need to try a different process or get used to not having any spring fishing opportunities in our area.
Sorry. Rant over. Back to reports.

I didn’t think there would be any around this early. Maybe we will get lucky.
Just to be clear, I’m not suggesting to use the two hatchery coho retention as an excuse to target Chinook in closed areas. Seen a lot of coho the last 2weeks in March while fishing thrasher and all across the straight. My thoughts were they may belong to the early cap run. ( I could be wrong ) Just hoping they chase feed up to 28-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back