2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back from 14 days at Cougar Creek. 25 chinook, 4 ling, 5 halibut to the boat for 11 days fishing. All the springs came from Beer can and Camel In the morning, all on bait. Chinook are holding deep with the warmer water 55-82 feet on the rigger. Managed to get out the red can a couple times, water was so calme you could water ski out there! The wife and I managed a double header of halibut on Thursday, Was a bit of a gong show🤣 All and all a great trip, managed to get a few people into some salmon that had really never touched a nuckle buster!

Attachments

• IMG_3192.jpeg
    IMG_3192.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 125
Fished Espy last week…. sparse at beach, fish out at 270’ w 120’ plus on the wire….lots of Pinks…. Managed to tub out on Springs and get close on Coho and Ling…

Attachments

• 9C1F7AAD-60BD-46A1-B78C-15925BAC0976.jpeg
    9C1F7AAD-60BD-46A1-B78C-15925BAC0976.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 114
  • 950936F6-EDAD-486A-A1B3-094C5C37A781.jpeg
    950936F6-EDAD-486A-A1B3-094C5C37A781.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 114
  • 23D61E93-2E25-4E1E-A361-F46AEE378C07.jpeg
    23D61E93-2E25-4E1E-A361-F46AEE378C07.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 114
Thank for this.

Fishing out of critter next week from the 14-17 so it seems we're there right when the commies are.

What are everyone's thoughts on the effect? Never fished the area but did hear the Seine netters are out at certain times of the year.
Looks like the Gill Netters are only allocated 536 fish so I wouldn’t think this will have a huge impact on fishing. At least I am hoping it won’t as I will be there this coming weekend.

Typically the gill netters set up in the corner before Moucha bay. Either way I’ll be there Saturday for a week.

Looks like the Gill Netters are only allocated 536 fish so I wouldn’t think this will have a huge impact on fishing. At least I am hoping it won’t as I will be there this coming weekend.
Great, it sounds like they're keeping far few salmon than in prior years (4-7000 a night).

Leaving lots for the amateurs ;)

The Gill Netters usually have a series of openings depending on the Hatchery having sufficient Salmon in their holding area for the required egg / milt harvesting and further run forecast.

Some years the 12 hour overnight openings have resulted in an average of 15 Chinook per boat, so hardly worth the effort or the fuel for the Commercial fleet.

Sometimes they do too well. The gill netters typically have big lights and anchor against shore and outward for the length of the net. I have seen Moutcha bay look like daylight from all the lights meant to attract the salmon to the surface and to the nets from the night time opening.

If the actual harvest is low, and the run forecast is good, the allotment will go up with further openings.

Moutcha Bay can be alot of fun for Chinooks staging in the bay if you are into buzz bombing. The fish can be very dark but some fresh arrivals will still be chrome.

Drewski

Combination boat build/fishing report.
First trip on the new boat to Esperanza last week. Trailered the beast to Gold River last Sunday. Truck pulled it remarkably well and could maintain speed limit up the Malahat. Launched Sunday afternoon with about 6' of water at the launch with no issues. Ran up to Esperanza and decided to take advantage of the light winds. Went offshore for some bottom fish and were rewarded with 3 lings and some bottom fish. Met up with the rest of our crew at Newton Cove.

Headed out early on Monday and the wind had come up significantly. Decided to head up north and brave the chop and swells. Big mistake as it was tough to fish even with the Seakeeper running. My boat mate was looking a little green so we ran back to protected waters and joined the fleet trolling Yellow Bluff. Ground it out for a few hours with only a 8 pound Coho to show for our efforts. Fished Rosa and Garden in the afternoon and nothing to show for our efforts except multiple weed hook ups. Our buddy boats (who were guided) did much better putting their limits of Springs on the deck from the early morning bite at Yellow Bluff.

Got some intel back at the lodge and the Yellow bluff bite was due to a big squid spawn in the bay. White and glow Turds fished right on the bottom (bouncing your balls like fishing for Winter Springs) was the ticket according to the fleet.

Greeted by pouring rain and rough weather on Tuesday. Tried Yellow Bluff again but no luck on smaller white hootchies. Headed offshore in the slop and did pick up a few hatchery Coho but fugly out there. Spent a few hours fishing Blind Reef in the slop as the wind laid down in the afternoon but no luck. Our buddy boats did better but was very scratchy for them too and Tuesday was just not a day when the fish were biting.

So, after 2 days on the fancy boat, only 3 Coho to show along with some bottom fish. Pretty humbling start. I guess fish don't care how big your boat is 😢.

Back at it on Wednesday as the weather improved immensely. Started with a double header and boated 3 nice Springs (biggest was 23) and lost another 2 at Yellow Bluff before 8 am. Headed offshore and trolled for bottom fish. Were rewarded with some nice Vermillion and Ling while slow trolling in on the bottom. The real excitement happened when I got a strong hit and after about a 30 minute fight on my tuna rod, I pulled up a massive halibut. Was about a foot too long so had to cut the line to release as there was no way I could get the swim bait out of his mouth. Probably about a 90 -100 pound fish.

Moved over to the green can and picked up another Spring for our daily limit and released a few others while looking for Coho. All the Springs caught on small white/green AP needlefish spoons.

First boat to Yellow bluff on Thursday morning and we had 3 good Springs (largest was 21) in the boat by 7:30. Both of us were limited out so a quick breakfast beer and back to the lodge to head home.

All in all a good trip but had to work hard for the fish and some challenging weather. Great break in trip for the new boat. Nice to have the big dance floor to fish from and much more comfortable fishing in big weather. Seakeeper definitely makes a difference but trying to fish in the slop isn't fun, regardless of the size of your boat. A few tweaks I need to make and am still getting comfortable with it.

As mentioned, trailering was easier than I thought it would be. No real issues at the launch and was careful to make sure their was enough water to launch/retrieve. 28L/100km was the gas mileage in the truck while towing. Hit a weigh scale on the way home and came in at 2300kg on front axle, 3000 on rear and 8650 on trailer axles. Goose neck with airbags so I can safely move some weight forward by moving the neck down.

View attachment 95400View attachment 95403View attachment 95404View attachment 95405
Nice rig, seen it out there for a few days. A little fyi on the squid, they are there to spawn. Although it may seem like dragging turds in the dirt is effective it is actually tearing up the spawning grounds, especially when there’s 30 boats doing it. Little squid spawning honey holes are hard to come by some years. I’ll get more bites and fish with a salmon jig in the rod holder drifting than anyone trolling during the squid spawn. All the boats trolling around riggin is just pulling the springs off the dirt where they want to be, disperses em and makes it harder to stay on em. I like to leave em where they want to be and hook em by the dozen daily.
Cheers

The Gill Netters usually have a series of openings depending on the Hatchery having sufficient Salmon in their holding area for the required egg / milt harvesting and further run forecast.

Some years the 12 hour overnight openings have resulted in an average of 15 Chinook per boat, so hardly worth the effort or the fuel for the Commercial fleet.

Sometimes they do too well. The gill netters typically have big lights and anchor against shore and outward for the length of the net. I have seen Moutcha bay look like daylight from all the lights meant to attract the salmon to the surface and to the nets from the night time opening.

If the actual harvest is low, and the run forecast is good, the allotment will go up with further openings.

Moutcha Bay can be alot of fun for Chinooks staging in the bay if you are into buzz bombing. The fish can be very dark but some fresh arrivals will still be chrome.

Drewski
Gillnets are driftnets, no anchoring. Gillnets will not fish well if not drifting.
The lights are to assist sporties in their pukers to hit the middle of the net, whoops, I mean assist mariners avoid the net.
The lights on the nets are not for attracting salmon.
If safety was not an issue, I would run totally dark net and boat during night fisheries.

Both. Most days didn’t even get around to using squid, or had to stop as had too many bleeders. Hook a dozen on the jigs in the first hr or 2 most days.
Ahh. Ok. Because one could make the argument you’re tearing up the spawning salmon before they get a chance to do so

sorry why am i like this😂

Both. Most days didn’t even get around to using squid, or had to stop as had too many bleeders. Hook a dozen on the jigs in the first hr or 2 most days.
Thanks for the insight on squid spawning and that trolling tears up the spawning areas. Questions - are there bleeders because the salmon fully swallow the floating squid? Are there best sizes and colors of salmon jigs? What’s the season for squid spawning?

Gillnets are driftnets, no anchoring. Gillnets will not fish well if not drifting.
The lights are to assist sporties in their pukers to hit the middle of the net, whoops, I mean assist mariners avoid the net.
The lights on the nets are not for attracting salmon.
If safety was not an issue, I would run totally dark net and boat during night fisheries.
Go to Moutcha bay and see the Gill Netters in action. The Boat is anchored with a line running from shore to the anchored boat. Choice spots are anchored on days before the opening. A Gill Netter actually explained to me the strategy of a net set from shore to the anchored boat on the idea that the salmon are following the shoreline in the bay at night.

But if you did net at Moutcha, you would know that.

Drift Gill Netters on the open ocean are different than what is going on in this commercial opening.

Drewski

Go to Moutcha bay and see the Gill Netters in action. The Boat is anchored with a line running from shore to the anchored boat. Choice spots are anchored on days before the opening. A Gill Netter actually explained to me the strategy of a net set from shore to the anchored boat on the idea that the salmon are following the shoreline in the bay at night.

But if you did net at Moutcha, you would know that.

Drift Gill Netters on the open ocean are different than what is going on in this commercial opening.

Drewski
You are correct-that is exactly how it is done in nootka and those guys are on their tie-ups days in advance

I agree, but are there any fishing reports?

I cannot go this year and am living vicariously, until I am tempted enough to say to H#ll with work and jump in the Truck!!!

Drewski
I'll load one up for the thread next week. Gonna be at Critter from Mon-Fri. First time out Nootka way but this thread has been a goldmine of good info. Hopefully we get into em.

I'll load one up for the thread next week. Gonna be at Critter from Mon-Fri. First time out Nootka way but this thread has been a goldmine of good info. Hopefully we get into em.
Good luck E, please let me (Us) know how you made out. Im heading to Critter cover 23-27. Hope i'm not to late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back