2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got back from 4 days in Nootka Sunday night. Inside was quiet for us, even early morning so we fished every day just off Wash Rock on the 90 foot contour. Key was to fish right on the bottom. Eventually got 15 chinook and 7 coho as well as 5 small halibut which were a nice bonus. Another key was having four straight days of calm weather outside. First two days all hits were on anchovies but when we had to use slightly larger ones on the third day not a touch. Weird. Fortunately chartreuse cuttlefish hootchies took over and were just as effective even though they were not effective the first two days. Very weird. Fish were either full of bait fish or squid, or both. Anyway, another great trip to Nootka.

Just back from Nootka as well, similar observations as BCBill and Salmonkiller01. Had a good flurry of action at Camel on Fri and picked up 6x gooders. Weather cooperated... was able to get offshore for some bottomfish and a whack of coho. Sunday eve and Monday a.m. we jigged between Wash and Maquinna - amazing experience - lost count of 25lbers we tossed back. Highlight was fishing some live squid we jigged up - sent it to the bottom and waited for them to get crushed. Awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5769.jpeg
    IMG_5769.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 215
Just back from Nootka as well, similar observations as BCBill and Salmonkiller01. Had a good flurry of action at Camel on Fri and picked up 6x gooders. Weather cooperated... was able to get offshore for some bottomfish and a whack of coho. Sunday eve and Monday a.m. we jigged between Wash and Maquinna - amazing ! experience - lost count of 25lbers we tossed back. Highlight was fishing some live squid we jigged up - sent it to the bottom and waited for them to get crushed. Awesome.

You killed it! Awesome

My family made it back out to Nootka after a few days off. This trip we fished mainly inside and there where a few fish around in all the regular spots. We did okay in the morning fish but never really came on fire for us. Night fish was very spotty.
Flash Flys (PD / Blue Yellow/ UV Blue Bubble) where the heavy hitters producing all the bigger fish around 65-75 feet.

0F7CD30F-052C-40C4-8161-4865C0DBC65F.jpeg3A38A262-1FB7-437C-B320-A3924E152640.jpeg6C674157-402C-4BE6-BE9F-6A2CA5CF7398.jpegC70D734F-DC61-462A-8B69-0B729C01E951.jpegAB5C4C4C-27D8-4CB4-B9D0-78CC0C03D754.jpegCA7BD573-E8B9-41A4-B1EB-9F791A5E3C44.jpeg

Calm seas and amazing chinook fishing numbers wise out at the Esperanza 45-50 fathom spots since the Aug 1 upgrade to regs. Biggest only 36 inches for us but there are lots. Turds, big spoons and plugs.There are some pilchards mixed with herring out there. Full moon shmull moon.

Calm seas and amazing chinook fishing numbers wise out at the Esperanza 45-50 fathom spots since the Aug 1 upgrade to regs. Biggest only 36 inches for us but there are lots. Turds, big spoons and plugs.There are some pilchards mixed with herring out there. Full moon shmull moon.

Is this out past the T and Whale Tail or further south where the 50 fathom line comes on closer (off the red and green markers)?

We fished both those, but found fish both in the pack and solo. Don't know about the areas where the contours make straighter lines.

Heading out next week with wife and the boy. Going to be sticking inside as we are renting a boat from Moutcha Bay. Hoping Camel rock and the wall are as good as last year.

Is there a water hose at the Gold river boat launch? Need to power wash my hull. Out guiding at Nootka and she’s getting pretty slow with the growth.

Is there a water hose at the Gold river boat launch? Need to power wash my hull. Out guiding at Nootka and she’s getting pretty slow with the growth.
There is a hose. Not sure about being able to power wash but you can spray it off. Also, they have installed two nice concrete pads to park on and prep you boat after you pull out.

A bit late on this post but relevant for some. Fished outta Critter 3rd week in July. A few fish on the inside but only the 5am shift produced a bite. Spent the remainder of the days at the Lighthouse, Beano and the Red Can. Mixed bag weatherwise - Miami like heat, marine fog and torrential down pours. The usual west coast stuff. Ended with 8 springs and 3 lings between 2 guys. Chinooks were fresh - some might say green! Skinny G and Wee G were good to us. Average spring around 15 pounds. Back at it next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3136.jpeg
    IMG_3136.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3090.jpeg
    IMG_3090.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 105
Just back from 5 days at Critter Cove for our annual family trip. In all the years we’ve been coming we’ve never experienced fishing so red hot like it was all week…..it’s the kind of fishing I’ve heard about and always hoped for and finally got to experience.

Inside had fish all along the Wall, Camel but west out past the rock westward towards deeper water, with the middle holding lots of fish San Carlos and Beer Can had lots of boats and fish.

We had 5 double headers and boats at camp with similar reports - on Wednesday and Thursday nights we got daily limits on the first passes producing double headers with the unfamiliar sensation of being done fishing in the first 15 minutes of dropping gear and back to camp. For a family used to grinding it out we were pretty confused what to do with our down time:)

Depth seemed to be the ticket with 75’ to 85’ being the number for baits and spoons. Bait did not produce for us but our buddy boat had lots of luck on the wall and at Beer Can at 75 feet. All our fish were caught on Skinny G Cop car with the Hit and Run always getting hit first. All our doubles came from running the same gear and setting up at 81’ and 86’ with white flasher and 42” leader. I think a shorter leader might have produced better, as several of the doubles came when we started pulling up the second line to clear for the first and suddenly fish on….making me with a little extra action on the spoon was creating the second hit.

Water was flat calm outside - we tried jigging for the first time out at Beano Wednesday morning with Shimano flat fall jigs as we’d heard reports of high numbers out there but could only produce a bunch of bottom fish. Also tried trolling there then moved out deeper and by Bajo but no luck for us. Wash and Maquinna produced fish for us on hoochies as well as reports at camp for productive fishing out there but fishing was so hot inside most boats stayed in. Only slow area appeared to be Hoiss, which we tried twice on the trip and hardly saw any boats there but only grabbed one - but our cabin neighbors picked up 3 at 9am running a green and black coho killer at 30’.

All the fish we found were in the 14-20 range for size.

In summary phenomenal fishing inside where we had our family’s 16 king limit early and started chasing down cohos before heading back to GR. As always an amazing experience at Critter Cove - such a privilege to get to spend a few days with their crew and hospitality.
IMG_1758.jpegIMG_1763.jpegIMG_1764.jpegIMG_1577.jpeg

2nd year in a row fishing out of a rental boat for 2 days at Nootka (Thurs Aug 3 and Fri Aug 4), and this year we added a guide to the first day on Aug 2. Some similarities to the post above and some differences. For us, the day with the guide was not great for Salmon. Only 1 Coho, and 1 smaller spring released. He had us fishing Wash and Maquinna, taking advantage of the exceptionally calm weather. As I said though, the salmon either weren't there or weren't cooperating with us. From the chatter on the radio and the lack of nets out, seemed like it wasn't just us. Heard the inside and afternoon where much better for Salmon when we got back. He somewhat got the day back by moving us to Red Can for the last couple hours and picking up 5 nice lings and a vermillion. I was a little disappointed in the lack of salmon, but glad to get outside for the first time as the rental boats have a limit on how far you can go, and we picked up some bottom fish we probably wouldn't have otherwise.

2nd and 3rd day in the rental boat I was basically the guide by default, with my wife driving the boat. She and I are educated novices at best but we're starting to get it. The rest of our party were inlaws including two teenagers and everyone was starting from zero experience wise, so while we had plenty of hookups consistent with the reports of good fishing inside, we lost a lot more fish than I was hoping. As well as gear - the troops were a little too excited to have something on the line and despite my constant reminders to "let it run if it wants to run".. there were plenty of break offs. I played the good guy and tried my best to hand off fish and create some fun for the family, but it definitely came at a cost. Morning was spent at Beer Can, and after lunch until our curfew we fished Hoiss. I picked up one at Beer Can, and when we dropped lines about an hour before high tide at Hoiss we had two double headers within 10 minutes - but only boated one for the aforementioned reasons plus a fairly brisk blow that kept the wife on the wheel instead of the net, we were fishing in tight to the rocks. We had to pull up lines at about 6:30 which is one of my least favourite parts about fishing out of the rentals - they have to be at the dock by 7pm so always miss the last light fishing.

Yesterday was our last day of fishing, and after a quick conference with the wife we agreed it was time to get some in the boat - even if that meant I might need to be a little more selfish with the rod. So got up early and went out with her, the brother in law and 18 year old niece. Went to Camel and the Wall as had been hearing the good reports, and it worked out. Managed to put 4 in the boat in a couple hours. After I brought the first 3 in I was feeling a bit better about the landing ratio and handed one off to the niece as it was her first chance in the trip. She took coaching very well, and brought her fish on board about as well as I could have (after I adjusted her grip on the rod to above the reel instead of below it.) We fished until 11, lost a few more including one on a double, and ended with those 4 for the morning.

Afternoon we took the 14 year old nephew out again, who had been my partner at Hoiss the day before. Again, lost some that we really shouldn't have, mostly from inattentiveness and missing the first hit. But did manage the biggest fish of the week off the back side of Camel where it turns up towards Mouchalat. It took some proper line screaming runs, and my partners did their jobs great. Wife turned us out of traffic towards clear waters, putting the fish on the right side of the boat in the process, and the nephew got it in the net on his first shot. The scale back at the cleaning station said 19, but some loaded guy on the dock told me it reads 3lbs shy, so I'm going with 22. ;)

As far as how and where - like I mentioned Hoiss and Camel were the spots for us. Much the same depths as previous post - anywhere between 45-85, with 77 being the luckiest number. We fished fairly tight to the shore line but not crazy tight. We saw the boats out in deeper water off Camel and considered seeing why, but we were getting hit in closer and it was heavy traffic wherever you went anyway. Got them on a mix of everything - but 4" spoons in watermelon and cop car behind green flashers were best at Hoiss, and at Camel I tried running anchovies successfully for the first time after a dismal attempt with some poorly brined ones last year. I wire rigged them with tandem singles as Bill Haymond describes in the "Science of Salmon Fishing", and despite my worries it turned out to be pretty easy to get a roll that looked ok to me, and the fish seemed to agree, including the largest one in the photo below.

So all in all we're happy - the weather couldn't have been better, the fish were hitting so while it was at times frustrating it was rarely boring, and the final take home was respectable. 1 Coho, 7 Chinook, 5 Ling, 1 Vermillion. Going home on a curfew while the bite is still on and missing twilight is a bummer - but I am currently in the process of getting my own boat up and running so we'll be on our own schedule next time.

Nootka22.jpg

Got home from Tuta Marina on Friday after 3 days of fantastic fishing. Have been going there for quite a few years and this one was the best. Two of us limited out with 8 really nice silver bright (and fat) springs and released quite a few smaller ones. The fish were spunkey, more so than usual I believe and we had quite a few ''early releases''. Most were caught off the big rock bluff at the north end of 3 cove Bay or near the tiny bay southeast of Camel Rock.

Commie update
Thank for this.

Fishing out of critter next week from the 14-17 so it seems we're there right when the commies are.

What are everyone's thoughts on the effect? Never fished the area but did hear the Seine netters are out at certain times of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back