2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
heading up next weekend, any reports of halibut being caught Seems pretty quiet.
We got 2 60ish cm halibut and one 85cm on one day. Then got an 88 and 105 the next day. Tried a bit after that but mostly went after Ling's. The 88 and 105 where caught at the end of a long drift while jigging for Ling's. We didn't see any other halibut at the dock in the 6 days we where out. Also never fished deeper than 150 feet. Never tried as far as bajo for halibut, we did find some nice ling out there.

We got 2 60ish cm halibut and one 85cm on one day. Then got an 88 and 105 the next day. Tried a bit after that but mostly went after Ling's. The 88 and 105 where caught at the end of a long drift while jigging for Ling's. We didn't see any other halibut at the dock in the 6 days we where out. Also never fished deeper than 150 feet. Never tried as far as bajo for halibut, we did find some nice ling out there.
Thanks for the report Heading out with an other member next Monday can’t wait! Will make a report once we’re back.

Called Campbell River Boatland today and no answer. What’s the ice situation like? I’d rather not add another stop in Parksville for flake ice if possible.

Is it salt ice(in CR)? Is it available 24/7?

Any insight would be helpful.

Called Campbell River Boatland today and no answer. What’s the ice situation like? I’d rather not add another stop in Parksville for flake ice if possible.

just go there during normal operating hours and ring the bell at the ice maker. very reasonable last time i went there

The car wash across the street has a regular chip ice machine as well

Just got back after a few weeks in Nootka.

It was painfully slow July 24 and 25 with all the rain. We fished hard with the rain bouncing off the water and butt-kiss.

You know the fish don't like coming to the surface in all that fresh water!

July 26th the wind calmed down and we got offshore and it was full on.

Beano was good in the morning and off of Wash Rock on the 90 foot line.

Good luck,

Mike

Weekdays 7am-6pm. Sat 9-4. Sunday 9-1. The ice machine at river sportsman is broken. And always is. Be aware that boat land runs out of ice quite a bit usually around lunch on busy days…

Combination boat build/fishing report.
First trip on the new boat to Esperanza last week. Trailered the beast to Gold River last Sunday. Truck pulled it remarkably well and could maintain speed limit up the Malahat. Launched Sunday afternoon with about 6' of water at the launch with no issues. Ran up to Esperanza and decided to take advantage of the light winds. Went offshore for some bottom fish and were rewarded with 3 lings and some bottom fish. Met up with the rest of our crew at Newton Cove.

Headed out early on Monday and the wind had come up significantly. Decided to head up north and brave the chop and swells. Big mistake as it was tough to fish even with the Seakeeper running. My boat mate was looking a little green so we ran back to protected waters and joined the fleet trolling Yellow Bluff. Ground it out for a few hours with only a 8 pound Coho to show for our efforts. Fished Rosa and Garden in the afternoon and nothing to show for our efforts except multiple weed hook ups. Our buddy boats (who were guided) did much better putting their limits of Springs on the deck from the early morning bite at Yellow Bluff.

Got some intel back at the lodge and the Yellow bluff bite was due to a big squid spawn in the bay. White and glow Turds fished right on the bottom (bouncing your balls like fishing for Winter Springs) was the ticket according to the fleet.

Greeted by pouring rain and rough weather on Tuesday. Tried Yellow Bluff again but no luck on smaller white hootchies. Headed offshore in the slop and did pick up a few hatchery Coho but fugly out there. Spent a few hours fishing Blind Reef in the slop as the wind laid down in the afternoon but no luck. Our buddy boats did better but was very scratchy for them too and Tuesday was just not a day when the fish were biting.

So, after 2 days on the fancy boat, only 3 Coho to show along with some bottom fish. Pretty humbling start. I guess fish don't care how big your boat is 😢.

Back at it on Wednesday as the weather improved immensely. Started with a double header and boated 3 nice Springs (biggest was 23) and lost another 2 at Yellow Bluff before 8 am. Headed offshore and trolled for bottom fish. Were rewarded with some nice Vermillion and Ling while slow trolling in on the bottom. The real excitement happened when I got a strong hit and after about a 30 minute fight on my tuna rod, I pulled up a massive halibut. Was about a foot too long so had to cut the line to release as there was no way I could get the swim bait out of his mouth. Probably about a 90 -100 pound fish.

Moved over to the green can and picked up another Spring for our daily limit and released a few others while looking for Coho. All the Springs caught on small white/green AP needlefish spoons.

First boat to Yellow bluff on Thursday morning and we had 3 good Springs (largest was 21) in the boat by 7:30. Both of us were limited out so a quick breakfast beer and back to the lodge to head home.

All in all a good trip but had to work hard for the fish and some challenging weather. Great break in trip for the new boat. Nice to have the big dance floor to fish from and much more comfortable fishing in big weather. Seakeeper definitely makes a difference but trying to fish in the slop isn't fun, regardless of the size of your boat. A few tweaks I need to make and am still getting comfortable with it.

As mentioned, trailering was easier than I thought it would be. No real issues at the launch and was careful to make sure their was enough water to launch/retrieve. 28L/100km was the gas mileage in the truck while towing. Hit a weigh scale on the way home and came in at 2300kg on front axle, 3000 on rear and 8650 on trailer axles. Goose neck with airbags so I can safely move some weight forward by moving the neck down.

tempImageag1The.pngtempImageajpxES.pngtempImagedZpDVL.pngtempImageFQGHO1.png

The car wash across the street has a regular chip ice machine as well
Car wash machine Was broken last week, wouldn't rely on it. Boatland does ice 7 days a week. Funny hours on Saturday and really short 11-2 or something on Sundays.

Combination boat build/fishing report.
First trip on the new boat to Esperanza last week. Trailered the beast to Gold River last Sunday. Truck pulled it remarkably well and could maintain speed limit up the Malahat. Launched Sunday afternoon with about 6' of water at the launch with no issues. Ran up to Esperanza and decided to take advantage of the light winds. Went offshore for some bottom fish and were rewarded with 3 lings and some bottom fish. Met up with the rest of our crew at Newton Cove.

Headed out early on Monday and the wind had come up significantly. Decided to head up north and brave the chop and swells. Big mistake as it was tough to fish even with the Seakeeper running. My boat mate was looking a little green so we ran back to protected waters and joined the fleet trolling Yellow Bluff. Ground it out for a few hours with only a 8 pound Coho to show for our efforts. Fished Rosa and Garden in the afternoon and nothing to show for our efforts except multiple weed hook ups. Our buddy boats (who were guided) did much better putting their limits of Springs on the deck from the early morning bite at Yellow Bluff.

Got some intel back at the lodge and the Yellow bluff bite was due to a big squid spawn in the bay. White and glow Turds fished right on the bottom (bouncing your balls like fishing for Winter Springs) was the ticket according to the fleet.

Greeted by pouring rain and rough weather on Tuesday. Tried Yellow Bluff again but no luck on smaller white hootchies. Headed offshore in the slop and did pick up a few hatchery Coho but fugly out there. Spent a few hours fishing Blind Reef in the slop as the wind laid down in the afternoon but no luck. Our buddy boats did better but was very scratchy for them too and Tuesday was just not a day when the fish were biting.

So, after 2 days on the fancy boat, only 3 Coho to show along with some bottom fish. Pretty humbling start. I guess fish don't care how big your boat is 😢.

Back at it on Wednesday as the weather improved immensely. Started with a double header and boated 3 nice Springs (biggest was 23) and lost another 2 at Yellow Bluff before 8 am. Headed offshore and trolled for bottom fish. Were rewarded with some nice Vermillion and Ling while slow trolling in on the bottom. The real excitement happened when I got a strong hit and after about a 30 minute fight on my tuna rod, I pulled up a massive halibut. Was about a foot too long so had to cut the line to release as there was no way I could get the swim bait out of his mouth. Probably about a 90 -100 pound fish.

Moved over to the green can and picked up another Spring for our daily limit and released a few others while looking for Coho. All the Springs caught on small white/green AP needlefish spoons.

First boat to Yellow bluff on Thursday morning and we had 3 good Springs (largest was 21) in the boat by 7:30. Both of us were limited out so a quick breakfast beer and back to the lodge to head home.

All in all a good trip but had to work hard for the fish and some challenging weather. Great break in trip for the new boat. Nice to have the big dance floor to fish from and much more comfortable fishing in big weather. Seakeeper definitely makes a difference but trying to fish in the slop isn't fun, regardless of the size of your boat. A few tweaks I need to make and am still getting comfortable with it.

As mentioned, trailering was easier than I thought it would be. No real issues at the launch and was careful to make sure their was enough water to launch/retrieve. 28L/100km was the gas mileage in the truck while towing. Hit a weigh scale on the way home and came in at 2300kg on front axle, 3000 on rear and 8650 on trailer axles. Goose neck with airbags so I can safely move some weight forward by moving the neck down.

View attachment 95400View attachment 95403View attachment 95404View attachment 95405
Great report. And your boat is just a beast …. Congrats and enjoy.

Just back from Nootka. Fishing was great. Beach at the lighthouse was on fire Friday morning/Saturday afternoon dragging bottom in 35’ of water. Fish from lighthouse were full of squid.Camel and beer can were very good. Spoons and the ol’white hootchi were the ticket for us. Limited on springs with three guys and probably released 10 or so fish. Good size this year. 15-20#.

Another great trip to Nootka , bottom fishing was great, salmon was a bit of a grind but we got a few. Spoons more effective than bait for us. Weather was outstanding.
Algae bloom was all the way out to the highway but seems to be clearing up

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpeg
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 82
Another great trip to Nootka , bottom fishing was great, salmon was a bit of a grind but we got a few. Spoons more effective than bait for us. Weather was outstanding.
Algae bloom was all the way out to the highway but seems to be clearing up
Did you fish inside or outside for your salmon?

Well annual trip came to a close, was a grind this year for us after that heavy rainfall in the beginning of the trip but managed to finish off with 10 springs averaging 18-21 lbs. Didn’t try for bottom fish this year trying to get our spring limit but had 2 double headers , so that was a nice change up. 4 fish came from Hoiss in the morning around 72-95ft and the rest came from Beer Can/San Carlos 60-95ft. Crabbing also wasn’t amazing this year but managed to get enough for a few lunches.

Highlight of the trip, our first fish was grabbed by a seal, ended up fighting the seal for 15-20 mins. The seal finally lost its grip and was a mad scramble on the reel/ net but managed to get it in the boat. Along with the amazing views, was a great trip as always.

Should be better fishing and some nice sunny weather for those who are coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back