2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got back monday night. Beano was the place to be . especially after 5pm. Had at least 8 to the boat every night. Didnt bother waking up early and the best thing was no one was around had the whole place to myself. White hootchie UV flasher took home all the fish. Make sure you are on the bottom and then some. Nootka needs rain badly , that will trigger the fish in. Up for the last trip of the year next week. Good luck.

Back from a phenomenal two days and three nights. We decided to fish the Esperanza area and fished our own spots away from the fleet. 120 feet of water near the 1 mile surf line was consistent, but we found bigger fish closer in by sandstone and other fish trap type structures. The very early morning and first tide change produced an incredible bite, although there was still decent fishing during other tide changes and throughout the day and evening. Springs averaged 14-20 lbs and coho were noticeably larger then three weeks ago at 6-10lbs with about a 50/50 split of hatchery marked fish. Fish were stuffed with tiny fish and some squid.

There didn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason to tackle. We ran flash flies in many colors, coho killers, skinny gs, turds, white hoochies and anchovies. Generally fished lots of glow in the early morning and moved over to lots of flash once the sun was up. Overall the fishing was so good you could run just about anything so long as you stay on top of the bait and feeding fish.

Halibut fishing was slow with what looked like lots of commercial pressure from long liners.

Our group finished with 16 springs, 16 coho, 3 ling cod and one halibut. Had to call it day when our coolers were at capacity.

Fishing continues to be excellent in Esperanza. Lots of Cinook and Coho, nice weather means bottom fish too. One of the best things about being up here for the summer is getting to fish with my son Alex. Not only is he a great employee he's my best fishing partner! He could use a shave and haircut though. We hammerd the chinooks this morning, released a bunch, kept 4 to 20lbs. West coast tackle white turds did the trick. 20230721_103820.jpg20230721_104129.jpg20230721_122540.jpg

Just got back from Nootka this afternoon after 5 days of fishing, not spectacular but there was fish, very slow on the inside. We fished Beano, wash rock, Burdwood and the lighthouse and managed to get 8 springs and a coho. Got a couple in the evening at San Carlos. We did get some rock fish for one of our dinners. There were a lot of undersized springs as well.

Just back from a quick 2 day trip.
Had a great bite at Maquinna Friday, smaller 13lb average fish. Followed by a good night bite at camel. Fished Beano Saturday morning, 13 to the boat, 7 of them over 20. Released a 36x26” football of a fish. Buddy boat spent his time around the lighthouse and did quite well. Most of our action was on chovies at 53’. All beano fish were full of squid, all maquinna fish full of tiny bait fish. Buddy boat used weeg size spoons for all his.
Good times as always !

Just did 6 days at nootka and had a blast. Best spring action was at beano for us, fishing anchovies and fishing right on the bottom in 60ish feet. Had a good morning there yesterday with 3 keepers, 3 released at the boat and 3 that got away. Also got our best srping at 24lbs that morning. Was pretty bumpy to start the day and it layed down around lunch. Found the odd spring inside but no major action yet (hearing good reports of fish inside as I left).

Spent 4 days hunting bottom fish and we boated 5 halibut one 105cm, two in the 80s and two smaller ones. Jigged the big halibut and the 85cm on a double header as we drifted out of our ling area.

Made our first adventurer out to the south side of bajo and immediately picked up a 12lb ling. Moved around and found that we got major action when we first stopped then it would go quiet then we move a bit and right back to action. Megabite jigs where smashing ling the whole trip.

Got a good variety of rockfish along the way, quillback, tiger, vermillion, china. Descended two huge yelloweye.

Just back from a quick 2 day trip.
Had a great bite at Maquinna Friday, smaller 13lb average fish. Followed by a good night bite at camel. Fished Beano Saturday morning, 13 to the boat, 7 of them over 20. Released a 36x26” football of a fish. Buddy boat spent his time around the lighthouse and did quite well. Most of our action was on chovies at 53’. All beano fish were full of squid, all maquinna fish full of tiny bait fish. Buddy boat used weeg size spoons for all his.
Good times as always !

Was at beano on Saturday with you bouncing around in a 22 Grady. Glad others where getting action as well.

Does anybody know if the majority of Conuma fish come through Tahsis Inlet? We have a couple greenhorns coming on our Esperanza trip who may or may not be fine offshore or up the coast a ways. Thinking about Saltery, Garden Pt, Rosa et cetera if we have to.

Does anybody know if the majority of Conuma fish come through Tahsis Inlet? We have a couple greenhorns coming on our Esperanza trip who may or may not be fine offshore or up the coast a ways. Thinking about Saltery, Garden Pt, Rosa et cetera if we have to.
Depends on the year but a lot do. That area is good starting pretty soon. I like the area because it doesn't get bounced by commercials like Nootka-so fishing stays better much longer.

Lots of Canuma Fish will come thru the Esperanza Inlet area. Usually they start sitting out in the sandstone area now, and filter in closer thru spots around Catella, into Pin Rocks, and start to show at Rosa. Garden point will often follow, and into Saltery bay later in the summer and early fall. Much depends on the weather, as rain will often pull them in closer. We will see what happens once the current weather system passes and re-shuffles the deck.

17th -28th, 5 on the boat, 28 bonked fish - 14 coho, 14 chinook. coho up to 9 lbs. Chinook small with largest at 16. Most productive was the monument and burwood (evening). wash rock was good. sealed at beano. stomachs had the whole gamut from 6' herring, squid, shrimp, 1.5' bait and empty. Did not fish inside. 40 and 45' at the monument, 50 and 70 everywhere else. "twelve" (like herring aid) grand slam bucktail herring size, clear UV hoochie with white needlefish GSB skirt and mini GSB in orange (in test mode) were the clear winners. Fished with three noobies on the boat which lead to lots of "excitement" - lots of lost fish, 3 lost cannon balls, and a world class coho triple header which was pure chaos. Great trip!

hb

We fished Nootka last week, limited on kings and caught a couple halibut jigging on the contour lines about 4 miles out from the Lighthouse. Last day on Friday, released two kings at Hoist, another at Salter and two more at Boston point. Was 55ft on wire with skinny g hearing aide with nickel back. Fish are inside, most people were fishing outside.

We fished Nootka last week, limited on kings and caught a couple halibut jigging on the contour lines about 4 miles out from the Lighthouse. Last day on Friday, released two kings at Hoist, another at Salter and two more at Boston point. Was 55ft on wire with skinny g hearing aide with nickel back. Fish are inside, most people were fishing outside.
We did 5 straight days outside, 3 where incredibly calm, 1 was mixed bag but fishable and the last started awful and layed down around noon. Hard not to take advantage of the wind conditions, some years you get once in a week.

Dad is still up now, fishing inside and is picking them up slow and steady.

The stormy weather the last couple of days has really put a damper on fishing in Esperanza. It went from excellent fishing last trip to very sparse this one. Chinook and Coho have been tough to find in any numbers, a few locations have had some squid and white turds were working to fool a few. Its been too rough to go out for bottom fish. Rosa and the Inside spots have yet to consistently produce much. We have heard the native trollers have been doing better rout at the 60 fathom line, but they were all at the dock in Port Eliza inlet yesterday too as it was too rough for them. The weather will switch back to a NW wind pattern so hopefully the fish will start to build again at the spots that have been productive all summer from High Rocks up to Sandstone.

Well my family showed up on Saturday to do some camping and fishing.Saturday night we ventured out and fished the Wall and up too Camel rock. Marked bait balls and fish most of the way but no bites on plugs. Did manage too see a few nets out at Camel.
Sunday morning we decided to try our luck inside. Managed to get a crew together for a 530 departure from the dock. Trolled for 1hr for our first fish then hung around the wall and picked up another decent fish,then things dried up. Both fish where on anchovies. I was able to try my new red Gibbs catch and release net out. First off this thing has a huge bag to deposit your fish in and the handle was quite long. Overall I found it hard to maneuver through the water.
Monday morning was another 530 departure. The weather forecast didn’t look good so I decided to keep my new crew inside again and try our luck again. My daughter in law has never fished before and I was excited to get her hooked up!!
It was a very quite morning until the west coast heavy rain started and we had a couple decent strikes. My son was driving the boat as I was doing the dreaded line checks when I grabbed the second rod too reel it in and it pops off and we are hooked up!! There wasn’t much coaching her in playing this fish as it broke the surface and headed straight for the boat and jumped about 4 feet in the air beside her at the boat and that was the last time we seen the fish.Looked about 12 lbs and it was on anchovy too. After standing there soaked but very happy they decided we should head back to camp and wait out the weather.
We left camp after lunch and headed to Gold River to wait this storm out. We are going back out tomorrow for round 2

536AF3B7-51A7-4E06-9695-4425B93EA48C.jpegFAF25EDF-3EB7-471A-90A2-B8B31C2A67FB.jpeg7710FA23-DD5C-440A-961B-B0F64E8D1117.jpeg5982FB87-12F1-4C0F-9B69-C4FD03A4D7A9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back