2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Critter Cove, Shakedown Cruise. It was quite foggy for the past several days, but the water/wind conditions were very good. Fishing was excellent for springs at Beano, right from the beach out to the 1 mile surf line area. Lots of fish migrating in over the reef. Small Skinny G and Wee G were hitting them hard. Not many fish at Wash Rock area, nor at Burdwood/Escalante. Extremely enjoyable as always.

Back from the Shakedown as well. Was with the Mrs so not as aggressive on the fishing but still a great time. Limits on Chinook and a few Coho. Green/Metal Skinny G and blue/green Coho Killer were working. We had more luck a little offshore from Beano. Lots of bait at Washrock / Lighthouse but no action. Always a great time at Critter. Back at it on the 10th.

Just back from a few days in Nootka.... Had to work for Chinook at the usual stops Beano, Bajo, Maquinna,Wash. Had a decent last a.m. Burwood / Discovery. Killed it trolling the reefs offshore w/ swim baits for ling... a few Hali in the mix. Back in a few weeks for some Canuma fish... can't wait!

Attachments

• 1962A897-EA8D-418E-B935-32EAE9AE9DB4.jpg
    1962A897-EA8D-418E-B935-32EAE9AE9DB4.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5507.jpeg
    IMG_5507.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 217
Just back from a few days in Nootka.... Had to work for Chinook at the usual stops Beano, Bajo, Maquinna,Wash. Had a decent last a.m. Burwood / Discovery. Killed it trolling the reefs offshore w/ swim baits for ling... a few Hali in the mix. Back in a few weeks for some Canuma fish... can't wait!
where abouts were you fishing for the lings? I was going to try the escalante reefs side.

Well, another friends and family trip is complete and Esperanza and @Port Eliza Fishing did not disappoint. The wind on the other hand was a little bit of an inconvenience! Three solid days of fishing, swapping stories and catching up with good friends over a couple of bevies easily made up for the not so ideal conditions. We never did get a window to head offshore for Hali, but did manage to scratch up a few Hali and Lingcod on the troll. Overall, our group of 26 went home with some good eats and for most of them that come from points east and south, that is always a treat and the added bonus to these adventures. We also had the full moon with completely clear skies overnight and big tides to contend with. In spite of that, as you will see in the photos, our guides worked hard to get us on the Chinooks and a great time was had by all. We added a one day only derby to our program that included the guides participating in the pool money for the day as well as a nice gift pack from Westcoast Fishing Tackle. I will post more about that in the @WestCFishingTackle thread. Most of our group went home with all or close to all of their Chinook limit. The Coho were scarce but had been there in big numbers the previous week. A few were caught with the largest weighing in at 8 lbs. One of my cousins opened the leader board on day one with a 25 lb Chinook which held up until late on our final day when my brother brought in a 26 for the big fish of the trip! A real highlight of the trip for me was having my 84 year old Uncle and my good buddies Dad, who is 85, along for the festivities. Both of them have been on numerous fishing trips with us over the years and it was very special to have them along again for this one. Robert and his crew at Port Eliza Lodge did a great job of hosting once again and everyone is looking forward to our next trip already!

In terms of areas we fished, we spent most of our time off Tachu Point at high rock and working our way down to low rock. These areas were our most productive, with more limited success coming from pin rocks on one day. My boat made it to Sandstone one morning along with a couple boats from Reel Obsession, but not much was happening there. Day one, which was Monday, was fairly steady over the course of the day. Day two morning was definitely slower, but the afternoon seemed to bring a new push of fish with the flood tide. The last day was back to a more consistent bite and the fish seemed to be much more aggressive. All the Salmon we landed in my group the last day, had empty stomachs as well. We did see the odd fish with squid, but they were mostly feeding on tiny needlefish. Given the bait size, the guides were mostly using the Little Phat-E or Wee Gee size spoons in Green colours mostly. We did pick up a couple on the last day on a 3.5 inch Herring Aid spoon, again with the Green tint. I think, that if the wind hadn't restricted us to which areas we could fish, we would have seen even more production than we had, which was still very good!

Here are a few pics from the trip.

Day one

SS 2023 12.jpg

First day leader.

SS 2023 10.jpg

This was puked up by one of the Chinook we landed. The photo makes it look larger than it really was, maybe 1.5 inches.

SS 2023 14.jpg

The lucky Cheezies!

SS 2023 13.jpg

My buddies 85 year old Dad still getting it done!

SS 2023 24.jpg

Our day's haul with my buddy and his Dad.

SS 2023 20.jpg

Some good eats coming our way.

SS 2023 3.jpg

The biggest fish winner at 26 lbs.

SS 2023 22.jpg

The keeper award made by my 17 year old son who was on his first trip with the guys. Love that he has found a passion for woodwork.

SS 2023 7.jpg

Great report. Thank you. what depth were you fishing off Tachu( bottom depth)? How deep in the water column were you running the downrigger balls?

Doing a run from GR to Tahsis tomorrow morning. Anyone know if we'd have any luck at Camel rock or Hoiss pt etc on the way tomorrow or are they still mainly outside? Chinook / Coho TIA

Just back after 6 days at Nootka. It was sunny every day but Friday. Winds off shore were bad so no bottom fishing. Early in the week things were quite good off Maquinna and Wash Rock. The last 2 days we found things dropped off. I’m sure another wave is around the corner. We did manage to get 2 ok fish in the inside too. So I suspect they’ll be inside soon.
We got all our fish on Wee G’s or Skinny G’s. I hate spoons. I don’t use spoons but Chovies weren’t working all all. That W Gee was the key. Maybe I need to change my approach with Chovies now $17.50 a pack up there. 35-40 ft. Most of our fish were 12-17 lbs. They seem smaller than previous years.
Fishing the Lighthouse was challenging the last couple of days with a lot of weeds in the water. Really bad. I asume caused by offshore storms.
I managed to check the stomach contents of most of the fish. Pretty well all had small Needle Fish. A few had 3 inch squid in them.
There was a 40lb+ taken last Sunday. So there are a few big ones in the mix.
As the week went on we saw more boats in the Sound daily. Back up in a couple of days for round 2.
Oh. And whoever planted the “send Nudes” flag of Camel should get an Order of Canada.

Doing a run from GR to Tahsis tomorrow morning. Anyone know if we'd have any luck at Camel rock or Hoiss pt etc on the way tomorrow or are they still mainly outside? Chinook / Coho TIA
There may likely be a few fish there. However, unless you are going through there at first light, last light, or on the tide change, forget about it. Not yet…..

Same as bait then. I run coho killers up there about 3 1/2- 4ft. Usually catch 50% of fish on those and other 50% on bait. I prefer bait as it's what I've fished with all my life
A local guy told me long works best at Nootka for spoons. I trust him. Seems to work. I use the same on my Chovies. At least for Springs. Hos I go shorter.

$17.50 a pack for Anchovies is a bit much compared to other years!!! You sure do not want to hit a school of dog fish at that price!

Best of luck to everyone. We have ran a Gibbs Gator in army truck with great success in years past. Long leaders was the key (6 - 7 foot, or the span from arm to arm outstretched)

Drewski

Interesting re leader length for spoons. I have used AP sandlance spoons on 42" leaders and had great success a few years there. Different action perhaps?

Interesting re leader length for spoons. I have used AP sandlance spoons on 42" leaders and had great success a few years there. Different action perhaps?
I have fished Nootka for many many years and in fact wrote the article for salmon univercity .com so I have a few insights that might help. I noticed that over the years and particularly when there are a real gaggle of tight fishing boats the big Springs tend to get a little flasher shy. I tend to really lengthen my leaders for bait and spoons. especially inside the lighthouse to as much as ten feet. Try no flasher one side and run a flasher per usual the other side with no more than a 10 ft differential in depth. When you get the right combo it is like a switch was tripped. So if you aren't catching and others are--lengthen the leader or try dropping a flasher-give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back