2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading up for the Moutcha Bay derby this weekend. Is anyone else making the trip up? The weather is looking good and it sounds like the fishing should be good.

Heading up this weekend, debating driving to Tahsis or launching at Gold River and running out in the boat. It has been about 5 years since I drove the road into Tahsis - how is the road condition? Pulling a 26' boat.

Anytime you can avoid gravel roads with unpredictable condition stick with pavement :) We launched last week at Gold River as per usual it works great and easy.

I wouldn’t pull anything over that road based on comments from many people I’ve talked to. When you arrive in Tahsis the dust is everywhere in the boat. No fun starting a trip with a dirty boat. That road also beats up trailers. You need multiple spare tires and I’d carry extra leaf springs and tools to fix just about anything on your trailer. It’s such a nice peaceful boat ride up the Tahsis Inlet. To me it’s almost a bonus to launch in Gold River and run the boat up.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, newbie here . Could you please let me know how long is the boat ride one has to take from Gold River to the closest spot one can hope to catch ( and retain ) a salmon ? Your guidance and advice will be much , much appreciated !
Regards
D

Gentlemen, newbie here . Could you please let me know how long is the boat ride one has to take from Gold River to the closest spot one can hope to catch ( and retain ) a salmon ? Your guidance and advice will be much , much appreciated !
Regards
D
Approx 45 minutes to Camel Rock. Depends of course when you’re going and if the fish are in the inside yet. Within 10 minutes of Camel there are several places. Then another 20 minutes out to the Lighthouse. This is ball park. Approx.

Heading up this weekend, debating driving to Tahsis or launching at Gold River and running out in the boat. It has been about 5 years since I drove the road into Tahsis - how is the road condition? Pulling a 26' boat.
That 18% grade hill around 40 Km mark is scary. I’d hate to run into another rig coming up that hill too. Launch in GR!

Great bottom fishing this weekend, lots of lingcod and a couple halibut. Just never got a good hook set on a couple big hits I presume to be halibut
Salmon was ok. Largest 18 and lots of feeders at 50cm

All bottomfish seemed to have a squid or 2 in there bellies

Of course Critter cove was outstanding. 4 weeks till we are back

Attachments

• IMG_2641.jpeg
    IMG_2641.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2637.jpeg
    IMG_2637.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 228
That 18% grade hill around 40 Km mark is scary. I’d hate to run into another rig coming up that hill too. Launch in GR!
The Head Bay FSR is in better condition than it has been in several years. It is chip sealed from KM 18 to Tahsis and other sections were also chip sealed last summer. I would say for those of us boat owners who live in Tahsis the opinions are divided whether to tow or launch in Gold River. I have towed my boat multiple times to Campbell River for servicing, as have many others including a neighbour with a 28foot Shamrock. Others prefer to use the Gold River ramp. Dust control was applied late last week, so that helps with visibility and reduces annoyance. Logging operations have slowed and possibly ceased for the summer, so drivers are less likely to encounter big bunks. Still, it is a forest service road with many blind corners and steep grades. Tahsis Road Conditions FB page is one source of information on the road's current state.

Good first trip of the year to Critter. All Coho by the lighthouse the first day so we did the run to Esperanza the second day. Long run but worth it - limited on some nice Chinooks and added a few more Coho by around 10am. Fished the flats off of the lighthouse Tuesday morning and ended up with a few nice lings and a chicken halibut. All in a great introduction to Nootka for the nephew. Left the boat in GR, back at Critter on Monday.

Hopefully the prawners are gone soon. One is using the GR boat ramp for loading/offloading. Cuts the capacity of the ramp in half.

Thanks for the report. Can you tell us what was in those coho and chinook? What were you using for bait? Appreciated!

Not sure why they sent that but I fueled up there on Friday when Zeballos was unable due to an electrical problem. $2.22 a liter was a good bit more than I paid in Zeballos on Saturday. Cash only as ther machine was down. That could be the technical issue.
Thanks
What did you pay for fuel in Zeballos?
Its $2.32 +tax working out to around $2.41 per liter at Westview.

Going to fish Esperanza for the first time this weekend. Where are the typical go-to spots this time of year? Thanks for any help that can be lent.

Thanks for the report. Can you tell us what was in those coho and chinook? What were you using for bait? Appreciated!
Both Chinook and Coho were full of very tiny bait fish. Interesting because I typically drag a white coho killer that could not get a hit on this trip. Switched to a dark green / brown cuttlefish hootchie (I think it’s called the turd). and it was on. The hootchie with the twinkle skirt outfished the non twinkle skirt 3-1.

Good Luck!

Both Chinook and Coho were full of very tiny bait fish. Interesting because I typically drag a white coho killer that could not get a hit on this trip. Switched to a dark green / brown cuttlefish hootchie (I think it’s called the turd). and it was on. The hootchie with the twinkle skirt outfished the non twinkle skirt 3-1.

Good Luck!
Squid must be starting to show if the turd is producing. Gotta love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back