2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother and I are heading to Critter for the Halibut Hustle next week. My 12yr old nephew will be making the trip for the first time as well. We are in a 24’ Hewescraft Alaskan, stop by for a beer if you’re up there.

Last edited:
Heading up to Port Eliza. Wondering what the pawning is like, or any suggestions on spots? Ive never been there but am exited to try it out.

My brother and I are heading to Critter for the Halibut Hustle next week. My 12yr old nephew will be making the trip for the first time as well. We are in a 24’ Hewescraft Alaskan, stop by for a beer if you’re up there.
I think we are in cabin 42. You will see the old hourston in front.
Hopefully the wind forecast for the hustle changes. Looking a bit on the sporty side Saturday and Sunday

Heading up to Port Eliza. Wondering what the pawning is like, or any suggestions on spots? Ive never been there but am exited to try it out.
Hi Grizz. Prawning isn't great in the area. The commercial guys just left, they had been hitting it pretty hard. Port Eliza inlet itself held nothing this year, but it is only 200 feet at its max. There may be spots in Esperanza itself that still have some. I'm no prawn expert, and havent really tried out side the immediate area of the lodge. if you are better at it you might get some!

Hi Grizz. Prawning isn't great in the area. The commercial guys just left, they had been hitting it pretty hard. Port Eliza inlet itself held nothing this year, but it is only 200 feet at its max. There may be spots in Esperanza itself that still have some. I'm no prawn expert, and havent really tried out side the immediate area of the lodge. if you are better at it you might get some!
OK thanks. I'll toss the pots on the boat and see what we come up with. Be there tomorrow.

Helllo
We are at mutcha bay this weekend, any updates on some fish showing up? Would be greatly appreciated

Results form the Hard Core Salmon Derby out of Zeballos This weekend
First place: 24.5 lbs shown in picture (caught out of Port Eliza Lodge)
Second Place 23.5 bs (caught out of Port Eliza Lodge)

Way to go guides Gary and Paul!

View attachment 93687
Well done Gentlemen.

This is definitely on my bucket list to do this derby in the near future. Never thought of staying at your lodge and doing the derby. Would make an easy run to the fishing grounds each day.

I wonder would a guy have to run into Reel Obsession to weigh in your catch ?

Last edited:
Well done Gentlemen.

This is definitely on my bucket list to do this derby in the near future. Never thought of staying at your lodge and doing the derby. Would make an easy run to the fishing grounds each day.

I wonder would a guy have to run into Reel Obsession to weigh in your catch ?
Yes it is a close run to the fishing grounds. The winner was inside pin rocks so less than 10 minutes away.

The 2nd place fish was caught on day 1, they just kept it on ice here until day 2, the winner was caught just a few hours before the weigh in expired. Yes they had to go in on day 2 to the weigh in. They wouldn't have gone in unless they knew they had contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back