2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to Esperanza Thursday. Any reports from this weekend appreciated. Will report from there if the Wifi holds.
I just got back from a quick trip to Tahsis. We fished 5/18 and 5/19 and took Saturday off for completing my annual boat maintenance. 5/18 we fished Ferrer hard for about 5 hours. We didn’t pick up anything but lots of small lingcod. For whatever reason we caught them at all depths.(i.e. fishing in 60ft water with the Downriggers at 35ft) we did get a couple halibut and a few lings not far offshore. 5/19 the weather was nice early morning so we ran up to Sandstone. Fished it hard for 4-5 hours with no luck. We swung wide of Tachu and picked up 4 lings offshore. Tried low rock for a couple hours but the wind had picked up and keeping the troll on the bottom was difficult. We picked up a couple small chinook about 20” was all. We used hoochies and anchovies. The halibut we caught did have fresh squid in their stomachs. If the weather forecast is not great White Rock and Yellow Bluff Bay may be options since they can hold fish when the squid are around.
A couple people in town did mention fish being caught at Garden Point and Low Rock early last week. Put the prawn traps down one day and prawning was very slow so didn’t bother the second day. Good luck and report back.

Here is the reply I got from an email query to Esperanza::

Rick Lindholm <rickl@esperanza.ca>​

Tue, Apr 25, 5:52 PM
to me, Esperanza

Good afternoon from Esperanza,

In reply to your request for information regarding marine services here at Esperanza.
  • We do have diesel year around. If you look on our website you would notice that we have been ‘closed’ for a while due to upgrades. Even so we have been available for local sales so as to not leave people in limbo. The notice on the website will change in May.
  • We do have some moorage available. It is uninsured moorage but we would be happy to have you visit depending on the size of the vessel of course. The only other factor is that when we run children’s camps prudence dictates that we don’t have visitors up in the community from the docks…. most everybody is understanding of this.
Hopefully we see you this summer.

Rick Lindholm
Director – Esperanza Ministries
Hi Everyone.

I just received an email from Esperanza Marine. They said very clearly they are not open and not sure when they will be opening. Anybody know what is going on?

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2023 3:14 PM
To: Murry Kanewischer <murry@murryk.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel details.

Hi Murray.

Thank you for your interest is Esperanza Marine.

Due to some technical issues we are not yet open.

That remains true until further notice.

We will definitely update our website when we are able to open again.

Enjoy your summer in this beautiful part of the world.

Diane

@Esperanza

Hi Everyone.

I just received an email from Esperanza Marine. They said very clearly they are not open and not sure when they will be opening. Anybody know what is going on?

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2023 3:14 PM
To: Murry Kanewischer <murry@murryk.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel details.

Hi Murray.

Thank you for your interest is Esperanza Marine.

Due to some technical issues we are not yet open.

That remains true until further notice.

We will definitely update our website when we are able to open again.

Enjoy your summer in this beautiful part of the world.

Diane

@Esperanza
Not sure why they sent that but I fueled up there on Friday when Zeballos was unable due to an electrical problem. $2.22 a liter was a good bit more than I paid in Zeballos on Saturday. Cash only as ther machine was down. That could be the technical issue.

Got back last night. Fished the 25th-29th in great weather for May. Caught some lings and halis fairly shallow near Tatchu with squid in them so we fished low rock on two of the days right on the bottom with a turd. Couldn’t keep the halis off but no springs for us. Local guide boats came out to play Sunday as a test run but only one reported a spring. Trolled the usuals but the turd was the only thing getting any action. Never made it north to grass or mushroom with the winds. Great trip with the family as they want to jig most of the time anyway. We are back up at the beginning of July.

Thanks V much for the info. That is an option I was hoping was workable just in case we strike out all other efforts on days 1 and 2 and the outside route too lumpy. I bet it’s beautiful too. I will scope out exactly where the gas is as my tank is only 25 gal and a fallback is best.
American gallons.?I run a 622 Campion with a 60 Gallon tankCanadian gallons around 240 liters.I get 1.3 km.per liter so I can go three days but only do 2( safety margin)hard to hitchhike out there.Say I was staying at Esperanza and fishing twin peaks,10 miles off red can offshoreI could fish two days there plus a half day at low rock.Beware fuel consumption goes way up offshore as swells may limit speed to 12 to 18 mph,just on the plane is best.when I refuel my guess is with in 5 liters of actual.If not then I know something is a miss or maybe boat was weighed down with fish.lol.Maybe carry an extra Jerry can on the bow to keep the nose down in the swells.70 liters GoldRiver to Port Eliza or Zeballos.Hope this helps!

Sure looking forward to the Halibut Hustle at Critter starting on the 17th I think it is. Last year both the weather and the fishing were outstanding at this same time. It will all be good regardless, just being out there is what it is all about…

Sure looking forward to the Halibut Hustle at Critter starting on the 17th I think it is. Last year both the weather and the fishing were outstanding at this same time. It will all be good regardless, just being out there is what it is all about…
Going to be great regardless! If you spot us at the docks we are the hourston! Stop by for a wobbly pop

Considering bringing the prawn traps this year for our early August trip. I’ve read at times Nootka prawning can be decent, and at other times it sounds absolutely awful.

What has everyone’s experience been?

Just returned, yes the weather was good except for winds made it difficult a couple of days to get off shore. Plenty of lings, rockfish, hali a little slower. Heard of a few springs being picked up, we made a couple of passes by the lighthouse before being blown off. Did not set the prawn traps as the commercials are hitting it pretty hard right now. Good luck to those that are heading up.

Hi pacemaker...good to see you made it through winter. Do you have all the same dates as previous years
Yup, same as always, but we’re not doing the normal August trip this year. Other 3 trips will be the same…. We look forward to seeing you out there Reelrude. It’s coming up quick.

The season at Port Eliza Is now starting! We have our first bring your own boat guests and guided fishing starts soon. The weather has been unusually nice for June as we all know, it has meant a lot of strong NW winds the last week or so. It has moderated and is supposed to be calm tomorrow before picking up again. The Salmon fishing has been a bit hit or miss so far. The 130 contour from High Rocks to Low rocks has had its moments. They were having to do one way tacks the other day. We still have some Bring your own boat space the remainder of June, and due to some cancellations we even have a couple of rooms July 23-27 and August 7th to 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back