Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there may be a little lull this evening, kind of starting right now to dark. Anybody out or going to try?

Took advantage of the lull this evening. Beautiful evening with my wife. Launched around 6:30pm and headed to Clark Rock. Steady action it seemed with a couple of pin poopers and a 74cm spring in the box. Packed it in around 7:30pm after a small shaker managed to wrap himself around the other downrigger and put the hook through the downrigger braid at 50’. He then got jammed in the pulley. I then had to hand bomb the cannon ball in as I didn’t want the braid to snap. What a cluster he caused.
All action was on a white hootchie around 125 on the rigger. Just fished Clark Rock to Pipers.

Saw quite a few small pinks or coho at the cleaning table. IMG_0056.jpegIMG_0058.jpeg

Got out last night around Gabriola with my old man who’s visiting from out of province. Brought home a 66cm Chinook, lost a bigger one at the boat, couple other good missed hits, one wild coho and a few smalls. And I see this morning the wind is back for a few days....

Fished 6-8pm this evening. Started by Clark Rock. Kinda slow to begin with. Then lost two decent pin poppers. Most likely slot size as I bury my clips. Was running white hoochie and spoon. Decide to troll across Horswell Channel. Sure enough at 115ft on the rigger and a herring aid coho killer, hooked into a tank. Couple amazing runs and jumps later we released a 90ish cm wild spring. Approx 25lbs when I weighed him in the net. Probably my biggest off Nanaimo. Beautiful fish to see swim away. Couple shakers later decided to pack it in.

Lots of boats out. Seemed most were fishing a deeper tack from the fingers to Horwsell Channel. And speaking to a few guys at the docks lots of coho out there.
IMG_3598.jpegIMG_0091.jpeg

Fished 6-8pm this evening. Started by Clark Rock. Kinda slow to begin with. Then lost two decent pin poppers. Most likely slot size as I bury my clips. Was running white hoochie and spoon. Decide to troll across Horswell Channel. Sure enough at 115ft on the rigger and a herring aid coho killer, hooked into a tank. Couple amazing runs and jumps later we released a 90ish cm wild spring. Approx 25lbs when I weighed him in the net. Probably my biggest off Nanaimo. Beautiful fish to see swim away. Couple shakers later decided to pack it in.

Lots of boats out. Seemed most were fishing a deeper tack from the fingers to Horwsell Channel. And speaking to a few guys at the docks lots of coho out there.
View attachment 96724View attachment 96725
Nice fish!!

View attachment 96724View attachment 96725
Well done

Fished last night from 530-730. There was a flurry between 6 and 630 where we picked up one ~75cm, lost one beside the boat, and missed a good hit. That was in the structure on the northeast side of horswell channel. We did one pass by Piper's at 730 and missed another good one, then had to go. Was pretty sloppy to start but settled nicely by the time we left.

Hootchies and spoons, 80-100 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_190329.jpg
    IMG_20230822_190329.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 62
Good morning yesterday. 3 Pinks, which we kept for fresh barbeque for guests. Normally I am not a big fan of Pink Salmon, but if its freshly barbequed it can be pretty good. 4 wild coho released gently and good power swimming away and a couple shakers. On the last pass we hit a decent one with a good fight and were able to boat this 77 cm Spring. Nice to finally get a good fight and a decent sized fish on the boat. I highly recommend those oversize knotless landing nets. It allowed us to leave the fish in the water while we made sure of species, size and hatchery or wild. The fish seem to rest in the nest in the water after the tough fight from 150 feet or deeper. I know some guys prefer a quick release off the gaff to hook method, but I really believe that the knotless net method give a better overall recovery opportunity. It was easier to get the hook out without handing the fish or using the gaff method and they all swam away with no scale loss or slime loss.

Anyways, preaching done ........ a nice morning. Good luck to all out there. Its been a great season so far. 77 cm Aug 22.jpg

Fished yesterday and this morning, Grande to Whalebone in 130 to 200' of water with 150 on the rigger, 2.2 to 2.8 kn. Used 3.5 and next largest Looney Spoons and green, glow flasher. Both days one chinook about 10lb and 3 pinks for canning this fall. Lots of pinks lost at the side, plus one decent chinook lost this morning.

Fished 3 hours last night around Clarke to neck point, 1 hatchery Ho, not many bites. Tried shallow (50-75) mid (100-120) and deep (180 to bottom) but was off the bottom at 180, skinny g cop car.

How are the jiggers doing around fingers?
Any tips for a guy going to try it out?

We picked up a 75cm last night dragging the bottom right in front of pipers. 137 feet of wire out in 120 feet of water on green hoochie.

With regards to jigging, I haven't seen the density of bait that I look for the last few times I have been out.

Fish at Fingers, Entrance, the Flat tops and Thrasher. Lots of coho, spings ans a pile of pinks. Awesome time to have fish around for the Silva Bay Derby - next weekend.

Info about tickets (which automatically qualify you for a Lowrance Hds Pro10 Sounder and a slice or two of pizza )Prize Categories, Boundaries Weigh-in here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back