2023 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax, they move around quite a bit unlike rockfish. Maybe try different areas?
Glad to hear of your success. We've been noticing a steady decline in numbers as well as size over the last few seasons (since the elimination of the salmon fishery in the spring). I used to never get undersized with the techniques I use, and got into 4 small ones last time out.
I've been noticing the same thing. They get hammered now that they are the only thing open, and there's so many closed areas, the same areas get hit by everybody. The first few weeks of the season are ok then it gets slim pickings I find.

In the past couple of years, I’ve learned the key to lingcod fishing is fishing the current and using big jigs to attract bigger fish. I rarely catch undersized lingcod with the 11” worms and 16 oz lead heads I use. The smaller ones grab the tail but the big ones open up and take the whole worm and hook. There is more bait around this year than I’ve experienced in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpeg
    IMG_0912.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 169
In the past couple of years, I’ve learned the key to lingcod fishing is fishing the current and using big jigs to attract bigger fish. I rarely catch undersized lingcod with the 11” worms and 16 oz lead heads I use. The smaller ones grab the tail but the big ones open up and take the whole worm and hook. There is more bait around this year than I’ve experienced in the past.
Yes, now we are getting somewhere

That's been my experience as well, so I've always fished bigger lures. Just the last year or 2 (particularly this year) I've been getting almost all my fish on the herring side, and mostly bites that don't stick on the side with the big lures. I finally decided to accept that low-mid teen fish are now the exception rather than the norm this weekend, put on some slightly smaller lures and had more success.

(Not sure if this should be Gulf Islands or Sidney Reports as it covers both) Never fished Area 18-7, 19-7, 19-8 for Chinook. Looks like its open June 1 - July 31 for 1 Hatchery over 62 cm. Has anyone had any success in these regions and if so where is a good starting spot. example Wain Rock? and Depth are fish higher or deeper?

The ling fishing has definitely been a bit slower the past few seasons and there have been more boats around fishing them for sure, definitely the areas I go for sure. I’ve shifted to mostly May as well just to make sure I get my handful of them to fill the freezer for the year.

Yes they move around a bit… but really what they should do is rotate the RCA areas in 3-5 year cycles, so some areas can rebound while others can be fished.

Or, you know, be smart and realize that one fishery affects the other and let us keep 1 hatch Apr-Jul in all areas. But those are common sense ideas so not holding my breath.

Yup,sorry posted to Sydney site,week old now.narrows is holding bait ,lost two beauties to downriggers,mine and the one neighbour boat
was out Tuesday afternoon thunder sent me home.no hits at the bluff no hits on three good drifts at tent.

It’s been 4 days,at porlier I had one day outside right. 350ft water 60 ft rigger ,bloody nose and chovy,a few coho only 1hatch.the next day quiet for us ,3 wild coho ,no springs no bait showed.but boat in shallower said he had steady bites as we went home …..oops.guy at ramp said they released two wilds near the bluff.

Crossed over today and fished a few areas. Targeting coho… Porlier 6-7:30am couple misses and a small spring released. Salamanca 8-10am nothing. Switched to bottom fishing 11-5 and got a couple lings and a kelp greenling, tasty little buggers. My old man calls it a sea bass. Anyways, then trolled Miners Bay in the evening 6-8pm and managed a nice sized hatchery coho on the only hit. (Edit: was on the surface bucktail rod with a blue flash fly) Saw a Humpback going thru Active Pass as well! Just a beautiful day… am I old enough to retire here yet?

Attachments

• B2161D5E-2F2F-4FEB-951D-AC17936CE396.jpeg
    B2161D5E-2F2F-4FEB-951D-AC17936CE396.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 716E957D-2B6F-44E5-BD01-8BEF2C2F6217.jpeg
    716E957D-2B6F-44E5-BD01-8BEF2C2F6217.jpeg
    393 KB · Views: 79
  • DCDB0BB0-7EE3-4598-A3C0-9401337C27BF.jpeg
    DCDB0BB0-7EE3-4598-A3C0-9401337C27BF.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hit the outside of Active Pass last night from 4:30-7:30, had a few Chinook on and 1 undersize hatchery coho. Trolled the 200' contour fairly fast at 30' - 90' with a few checks into deeper water, never did get on top of any coho - less bait than usual.

Last edited:
Anyone else lose any prawn traps in Navy channel yesterday? Lost a scotchman, and two traps which presumably had a good catch in them
That sucks. That’s why I don’t prawn the Vancouver area, haven’t lost one over in the SGI, really unfortunate if that’s happening over there now.

Anyone else lose any prawn traps in Navy channel yesterday? Lost a scotchman, and two traps which presumably had a good catch in them
I saw a Scotsman down near the end of south Pender when going to the lamb bbq around 1pm.

Tried for some coho around Salamanca yesterday for an hour or so. Down 40-50 on riggers in 300-400 fy of water with white hootchies and had non stop action … for springs! Lost one coho boatside before I could tell if it was hatch or not and released around 10 springs including a few in early teens. Certainly lots of fish around. Will try again for coho later today or tomo if weather cooperates. Anyone else finding an ho’s in the gulf islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back