2023 Gulf Island Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossed over in my tinny to the lower islands today. Can’t get much calmer than today…
Drifting didnt produce much until we fired up the kicker and covered a bit of ground. Got into a few nice fish and released a handful unders. Tried new prawning grounds, didn’t get much. Crabbing is getting better, got 4 for the effort. IMG_0337.jpegIMG_0365.jpegIMG_0391.jpegIMG_0380.jpeg

Went across yesterday too, what a beauty day on the water. Wife caught this yellow eye, crappy pic I know, but we quickly hooked the descender on and got it back down quickly. I’m guessing it was around 10lbs, by far the biggest one we’ve ever had to the boat. Nice to see some big ones around. Caught it on a 10oz herring aid

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 117
I put in a shift on the low slack near Crofton yesterday in the MSF Chinook area that Justin opened for us. Saw three other boats but didn't see any nets out. Didn't hit anything myself either. Saw a bit of bait but that was about it. Has anyone else been out trying in the open areas of 17 for MSF Chinook?

Finished up the rest of the afternoon on the outside and couldn't keep the salmon off the line. Even got a three and four pound coho along with a bunch of Chinook. Hopefully a good sign for coho on June 1!

I put in a shift on the low slack near Crofton yesterday in the MSF Chinook area that Justin opened for us. Saw three other boats but didn't see any nets out. Didn't hit anything myself either. Saw a bit of bait but that was about it. Has anyone else been out trying in the open areas of 17 for MSF Chinook?

Finished up the rest of the afternoon on the outside and couldn't keep the salmon off the line. Even got a three and four pound coho along with a bunch of Chinook. Hopefully a good sign for coho on June 1!
It’s a faux opening, just for show

Fished Moresby a couple hours yesterday, not a sniff & nothing on the sounder at all. The MSF opening is a joke and we shouldn’t be satisfied. Yes it’s better than nothing, but it’s like taking away all your kids toys, and then giving them a bouncy ball they can play with, for 1 hour a day, and only in that corner of the back yard.

On the plus side, got a couple lings and came home with dinner. Which I have began to limit myself the past few seasons…

Since the April 1 closures (2019 I believe) I’ve seen increasingly more boats coming across and ling fishing, not surprising. Hope it doesn’t get hammered too hard, but I’m afraid it will, in the years to come thx to DFO’s (mis)management of everything.

Fished Moresby a couple hours yesterday, not a sniff & nothing on the sounder at all. The MSF opening is a joke and we shouldn’t be satisfied. Yes it’s better than nothing, but it’s like taking away all your kids toys, and then giving them a bouncy ball they can play with, for 1 hour a day, and only in that corner of the back yard.

On the plus side, got a couple lings and came home with dinner. Which I have began to limit myself the past few seasons…

Since the April 1 closures (2019 I believe) I’ve seen increasingly more boats coming across and ling fishing, not surprising. Hope it doesn’t get hammered too hard, but I’m afraid it will, in the years to come thx to DFO’s (mis)management of everything.
Yeah and in that corner, the ball doesn’t bounce.

Well, if I was serious about harvesting a few fish, and or guiding right now. I’d be happy with this opening. Step in the right direction amigo!
My point is…..why just those sub areas on 17? I release a ton of clipped fish close to home

Let me know what the difference is from departure bay to those small areas. Those fish swim freely all over the ocean so why just there?
I agree with what you're saying. We are being held to such a high criteria of standard to get an opening that it basically means there has to be no chance of encountering any stock that is considered a stock of concern. We have a 99.5% chance with the Howe Sound MSF pilot of not encountering a stock of concern and we still can't get an opening for Vancouver. Basically it comes down to politics.

Think about that next time you vote in a federal election! Also support the organizations that are fighting to get more openings like the Public Fishery Alliance and the SFI!

I agree with what you're saying. We are being held to such a high criteria of standard to get an opening that it basically means there has to be no chance of encountering any stock that is considered a stock of concern. We have a 99.5% chance with the Howe Sound MSF pilot of not encountering a stock of concern and we still can't get an opening for Vancouver. Basically it comes down to politics.

Think about that next time you vote in a federal election! Also support the organizations that are fighting to get more openings like the Public Fishery Alliance and the SFI!

Maybe a different forum for this comment, but since on topic. Why not have a premium conservation stamp for early season Chinook. The money going direct, and only direct to Fraser enhancement effort and channel rehab/hatchery. The amount sport fishing keeps giving to enhancement would far exceed whatever is taken. We pay soooo much in gear whats a little extra.

Yes, this discussion should occur in a different thread. Some are already available for comment on this topic.

I’m sure I missed it somewhere in here, but is there a map of the retention area? I’m giving myself a migraine trying to decipher DFO scripture.

Lingcod fishing has been good. They seem to like it most with a lot of current, making it hard to keep your jigs on the bottom but when you do, they find a rock to snag! I snagged a 31 pounder Wednesday on a ripping ebb. Lancer jigs View attachment 92759
Glad to hear of your success. We've been noticing a steady decline in numbers as well as size over the last few seasons (since the elimination of the salmon fishery in the spring). I used to never get undersized with the techniques I use, and got into 4 small ones last time out.

Glad to hear of your success. We've been noticing a steady decline in numbers as well as size over the last few seasons (since the elimination of the salmon fishery in the spring). I used to never get undersized with the techniques I use, and got into 4 small ones last time out.
Relax, they move around quite a bit unlike rockfish. Maybe try different areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back