Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished baker passage this am with only a pink. Might need to run back to the green can this afternoon. See a few commercial boats working off the NW side of Savory, what would they be after pinks or coho?

Interesting morning-jigged the hump at 6am-surprised to see so much water movement after I'd studied the tides. Saw bait in 170 feet of water but had a lot of trouble settling the jig down. One quick jig and I am on to a very nice Spring-no doubt about it but the boat is swirling in the currents and back eddies-great fight quick measurement and 791/2 cm spring. Kept at it and landed 3Pcod-then a real dandy -probably 15 but all I got was the head -a little piece of tail and a 4 ft dog hanging on . Went to the fingers-tons of boats but I couldn't find anything worthwhile so went back to the hump. Good bait but lots of tide. Caught and released 2 more springs and called it a good morning

I've been having success with a staggered assist hook setup. The hooks are tied to a swivel in the head of the hoochie. Short strikes end up with the circle hook in the corner of the jaw.
View attachment 96268

Hoochies and jigs are interchangeable.
You have been getting springs or coho on this set up ?

Just looking to try something different and less snaggy than the traditional rig

You have been getting springs or coho on this set up ?

Just looking to try something different and less snaggy than the traditional rig
Mainly bottom fish. Increased my hook-up ratio.
I also do it with any 2 hook trolling lures. More often than not they're hooked on the stinger circle hook in the corner of the jaw. Salmon stay hooked in spite of their spinning at the boat.

Fished baker passage this am with only a pink. Might need to run back to the green can this afternoon. See a few commercial boats working off the NW side of Savory, what would they be after pinks or coho?
Geoduck- likely the big geoduck farm dive boats, as there is a big seafloor geoduck farm all over that area. Or perhaps commercial crab.

Geoduck- likely the big geoduck farm dive boats, as there is a big seafloor geoduck farm all over that area. Or perhaps commercial crab.
Oh yeah totally could have been either of those 3 or 4 big boats… tried the crab traps between the 2 islands with only a couple small red rocks.

What kinda depth are you guys running between Francisco and the green can? Fished about and hour after the whales passed tonight and only pinks and couple small chinooks from 65-140 on the rigger. Didn’t mark much on my graph.

Interesting morning-jigged the hump at 6am-surprised to see so much water movement after I'd studied the tides. Saw bait in 170 feet of water but had a lot of trouble settling the jig down. One quick jig and I am on to a very nice Spring-no doubt about it but the boat is swirling in the currents and back eddies-great fight quick measurement and 791/2 cm spring. Kept at it and landed 3Pcod-then a real dandy -probably 15 but all I got was the head -a little piece of tail and a 4 ft dog hanging on . Went to the fingers-tons of boats but I couldn't find anything worthwhile so went back to the hump. Good bait but lots of tide. Caught and released 2 more springs and called it a good morning
What jig weights are you using? I've been finding it difficult to get down as well despite using 150g jigs with a slender profile.

I am working 160 and 200 and using my main motor on the backtroll. Pretty aggressive motoring at times.
can confirm. i was jigging 200 gram flatfall jigs at the lighthouse the other night in a 4 knot flood tide and had my kicker in forward gear with my son jigging while i stayed on the controls. it was a great night too…

Oh yeah totally could have been either of those 3 or 4 big boats… tried the crab traps between the 2 islands with only a couple small red rocks.

What kinda depth are you guys running between Francisco and the green can? Fished about and hour after the whales passed tonight and only pinks and couple small chinooks from 65-140 on the rigger. Didn’t mark much on my graph.
don’t be afraid to go deeper. lots of times they are suspended around 220-250’ in 300-400 fow

Bit of an odd question; anyone know a good spot for catching pacific cod locally?
The hump is as good as any-got 4- 2 days ago but a large one was devoured by dogfish on the way up nothing salvageable. Best eats on the coast. I was right around the high spot and the tide was moving. They seem to show on my sounder much differently than salmon-similar to dogs so be warned-I think it is because of their speed of movement-not as active as salmon-my theory-feel free to blow that out of the water!!LOL

The hump is as good as any-got 4- 2 days ago but a large one was devoured by dogfish on the way up nothing salvageable. Best eats on the coast. I was right around the high spot and the tide was moving. They seem to show on my sounder much differently than salmon-similar to dogs so be warned-I think it is because of their speed of movement-not as active as salmon-my theory-feel free to blow that out of the water!!LOL
Thanks for the info! Worst tasting fish around, for sure 🤫 😂

What boat are you usually in? I'm sure we must have drifted past at some point now!

I am fairly new to fishing this area, how long into September is it worth targeting Springs?

The coho off the beach on Quadra has just been bonkers the last two weeks, but seem to have died off. Looking forward to launching Sunday.

I have a 17 shadowline CC No top. Very distinctive-115 merc + kicker with big Spring Fever decal on the sides. Extremely handsome bearded gentleman who looks like Santa Clause at the helm!!LOL
I thought that might have been you the other day! I'm in probably the only other open aluminum cc, 18 bridgeview with same engine set up!

I am fairly new to fishing this area, how long into September is it worth targeting Springs?

The coho off the beach on Quadra has just been bonkers the last two weeks, but seem to have died off. Looking forward to launching Sunday.

Still lots of coho around, both along the beach and shoals!

We target springs all year, until the February (ish) herring spawn when they all head down to Baynes Sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back