Status
Not open for further replies.
these coho are such a pleasant surprise.brings me back to the early eighties fishing with the old man in a 16’ tinny with a 9.9 main. 4 ounce lead and herring strip. used to take longer to cross the strait than it did to get our four coho each.

me and the boy got three hatchery tonight.
many, many, lost. good times

horrible photo but there was a pelican out there! don’t recall ever seeing a pelican in our waters. seen them off shore Nootka lots

Attachments

• 14B22804-CE87-4CC5-AB96-6E78E799690F.jpeg
    14B22804-CE87-4CC5-AB96-6E78E799690F.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 62
these coho are such a pleasant surprise.brings me back to the early eighties fishing with the old man in a 16’ tinny with a 9.9 main. 4 ounce lead and herring strip. used to take longer to cross the strait than it did to get our four coho each.

horrible photo but there was a pelican out there! don’t recall ever seeing a pelican in our waters. seen them off shore Nootka lots
Green can-ish??

It was Deep Six and strip or Apex for us in the rip off Willow Pt!

This early morning at the green can and north was a lesson in jigging perseverance or it could be called a Hake from hell! Who knew the bastards loved jigs so much. There were lots of them and it really threw the sounder for a loop. Was out there for 530 .am-not much at the hump -moved north of the green can following birds Bait was not concentrated but it was there with tons of hake. No love from legal lings-did well with Springs-released 3 good sized beside the boat without handling. Single hooks on the jigs makes it easy. Whales all over. Going to move for a few days to get away from the springs. I'll be back!!
I love the part "released ... without handling." Those fish will fight anothrr day.

Still no announcement from DFO for Chinook retention. Has anyone heard anything or have any intel??? July 15th is 5 days away. This is brutal...

No matter what the outcome is, I don’t think it’s DFO’s fault. Certainly not the “boots on the ground people”. All this crap comes downhill from the Fisheries Minister's office in Ottawa. And that of course comes straight downhill from the Prime Ministers office. ‘Nuff said about that!! I think I’m going to puke…

Last edited:
I’ve talked to people on the docks, and there’s even local guides posting on their Instagram pages: everyone seems to think it’s open July 15. Me thinks there’s gonna be a lot of tickets handed out that day.

Be careful out there btw. i’ve never seen so much logs and crap in the water. the high tides at night must be pulling tons of schmutz off the beaches

I’ve talked to people on the docks, and there’s even local guides posting on their Instagram pages: everyone seems to think it’s open July 15. Me thinks there’s gonna be a lot of tickets handed out that day.

Be careful out there btw. i’ve never seen so much logs and crap in the water. the high tides at night must be pulling tons of schmutz off the beaches

Reg change DFO notices have been pretty last minute this year. Area 1 June 14 notice was the day before, and that was a limit reduction. Will happen, but look for the notice later this week. Fishing an expected opening without confirmation would be reckless.

Reg change DFO notices have been pretty last minute this year. Area 1 June 14 notice was the day before, and that was a limit reduction. Will happen, but look for the notice later this week. Fishing an expected opening without confirmation would be reckless.

Typical disregard for folks that would actually like to plan their lives. The only reckless thing is the abysmal D.F.O. mis-management of this public resource for the past many decades.

Got up at 0- dark 30 -- wished I hadn't--cold and rough. Jigged at the hump -no bait -nada-decided to look at red can-nada. not nice for a 17 CC so got in close to quadra and went over to the green can side--a little calmer but no bait- jigged dogs, 3 yellow eye-- Baro released-makes 8 in 3 trips-thought they were scarce LOL I can take a hint put down the trolling gear to 220 and managed 5 hits 3 boat side releases of decent Springs. The last released spring was out of some marks I saw on the bottom at 205. Dropped a 200 gm shimano down and just buried my little Carbon fibre jigging rod. All's well that ends well- Nice 25LB? ling Where has all the bait gone?? Best for me this year!!

Attachments

• DSC01553.JPG
    DSC01553.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 140
Got up at 0- dark 30 -- wished I hadn't--cold and rough. Jigged at the hump -no bait -nada-decided to look at red can-nada. not nice for a 17 CC so got in close to quadra and went over to the green can side--a little calmer but no bait- jigged dogs, 3 yellow eye-- Baro released-makes 8 in 3 trips-thought they were scarce LOL I can take a hint put down the trolling gear to 220 and managed 5 hits 3 boat side releases of decent Springs. The last released spring was out of some marks I saw on the bottom at 205. Dropped a 200 gm shimano down and just buried my little Carbon fibre jigging rod. All's well that ends well- Nice 25LB? ling Where has all the bait gone?? Best for me this year!!
I’d take that ling over any other fish in BC waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back