2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was an interesting group trip. For a second time this year on planned vacation almost didn't make it into Bamfield. Arrived at 440 Wed morning to be told road was closed. The choices were launch Renfrew or logging road. We decided to wait as both were not an option for us.

Turned back home that morning and fished Nanaimo while we waited on when road open again. We were able to get back to port in evening. We slept at ramp and launched first light.

Headed to Bamfield and stopped Assets. Right away a good sized teen spring. We kept going stopped in Bamfield and fished at Fleming right away springs everywhere again. Then we motored down to Beale for a bit and headed in.

Next few days worked areas close to Banfield. You didn't have to go far. It seemed fish were suspended pretty much everywhere. Whittlestone and backside of Beale were best for us. Super tight against shoreline. Anywhere where the bait was.

It was pretty much lights out springs and coho. I just put bait away and went to really tiny spoons.

In the end we ended up full limits for myself and my son of coho and chinook. Biggest was just over 20 which my kid caught. Most were in the 14lb to 18lb range. Never tried for rockfish or halibut as the salmon fishing was just too good.

Had a great time and it was nice to see some other forum members at same time as us.
View attachment 96421View attachment 96422
View attachment 96425
View attachment 96426
View attachment 96423View attachment 96424
View attachment 96428View attachment 96438View attachment 96439View attachment 96441View attachment 96426View attachment 96428View attachment 96438
Your son sure looks happy!

Started at pill point, busy as usual. But for good reason it was off the hook action until about 8:30. Left and fished link, weld, and diolock island then went back to pill point and finished up. Glow hoochies, herring aide skinny G, blue/ silver coyote spoon, purple coho killer, anchovy all worked. 70 feet was the deepest i fished, most around 50. Good luck.

Lights out fishing at Swale. Had 4 double headers and kept a nice one. Most fish were 14-20lbs with great runs. White hoochies we’re the magic ticket for us, but I suspect anything small would do

would anyone agree that the good fishing has to do with the alaska break that their commercial fleet had to endure 2 months ago?
seems a bit ironic really. they miss 500k pieces, and here they are.
Might have an effect. Seems to be a monster-numbers chinook run in Washington too, I think this class of 3 y/o's migrated into a friendly la nina ocean a few years back as well. I don't know about you guys but I haven't handled a high % of 4 y/o fish this year. . .lots of cookie cutters and teeners though. Lots and lots.
fb

Might have an effect. Seems to be a monster-numbers chinook run in Washington too, I think this class of 3 y/o's migrated into a friendly la nina ocean a few years back as well. I don't know about you guys but I haven't handled a high % of 4 y/o fish this year. . .lots of cookie cutters and teeners though. Lots and lots.
fb
The Alaska 2 month shut down must be playing a big part in the fish numbers

I am looking for a place to store a boat in Bamfield area for three days. Can be on or off a trailer. Mon to Weds night. Trying to keep it as in expensive as possible but still safe

I am looking for a place to store a boat in Bamfield area for three days. Can be on or off a trailer. Mon to Weds night. Trying to keep it as in expensive as possible but still safe
contact breakers in bam

Heading to broken group islands next week. Does anyone have experience boat camping in there. I know there is no fishing there but do the angry kayakers throw bananas at power boats? Any tips would be great I’m taking my wife and little girls for a week long adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back