2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back from Bamfield. Had my bud from high school, his old man and his father in law. We fished Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Road closure was ok with some planning. Sunday we hit Keeha at first light. We spent an hour there without a hit but it was quite weedy so we packed up and hit Beale until 9:30 am. Got springs and coho before pulling the pin and heading off shore for Hali. Spent the rest of the day anchored at a couple spots 20 miles off with only one Hali…

Monday we started at first light at sandford but after an hour with no hits we packed up and headed back to Beale. Got our springs and a few more coho and headed off shore around 10 am. This time we anchored around 5 miles and got all our Hali in 3-4 hours. After dinner we hit the wall four a couple hours but only found a few under sized fish.

Tuesday morning we hit sail rock and had a few hits but nothing stuck so we headed to Cree island and found some more springs and coho. Headed out to the reefs at around 11 am and picked up a pile of black bass and a few lings before calling it a trip.

Anchovies we’re the hot ticket for us, but we got a few fish on herring aid spoons and white hoochies. Better sized fish around Beale I found and that produced our biggest spring at 22lbs. Springs were at all kinds of depths from 37- 157 feet on the riggers. We fished tight to the rocks and out in the middle of no where on the bottom. Just needed to find the bait and get the hooks to that depth.

All in all a good weekend! The guys went home with limits of chinook and Hali and a few rock fish and lings. The old boys at 68 and 75 put in some serious sessions! I’m pretty sure I had to call it every day because I was exhausted!

Caught a new species for me as well. A wolf eel. He left some pretty serious teeth marks in the gaff when I was trying to release him. Also kept my first octopus. Not the one in the pick but a smaller one. I guess we’ll see how it goes as I’ve never tried one.IMG_1282.jpegIMG_8245.jpegIMG_3100.jpegIMG_8247.jpegIMG_0791.jpegIMG_0802.jpegIMG_0783.jpeg

Just back from Bamfield. Had my bud from high school, his old man and his father in law. We fished Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Road closure was ok with some planning. Sunday we hit Keeha at first light. We spent an hour there without a hit but it was quite weedy so we packed up and hit Beale until 9:30 am. Got springs and coho before pulling the pin and heading off shore for Hali. Spent the rest of the day anchored at a couple spots 20 miles off with only one Hali…

Monday we started at first light at sandford but after an hour with no hits we packed up and headed back to Beale. Got our springs and a few more coho and headed off shore around 10 am. This time we anchored around 5 miles and got all our Hali in 3-4 hours. After dinner we hit the wall four a couple hours but only found a few under sized fish.

Tuesday morning we hit sail rock and had a few hits but nothing stuck so we headed to Cree island and found some more springs and coho. Headed out to the reefs at around 11 am and picked up a pile of black bass and a few lings before calling it a trip.

Anchovies we’re the hot ticket for us, but we got a few fish on herring aid spoons and white hoochies. Better sized fish around Beale I found and that produced our biggest spring at 22lbs. Springs were at all kinds of depths from 37- 157 feet on the riggers. We fished tight to the rocks and out in the middle of no where on the bottom. Just needed to find the bait and get the hooks to that depth.

All in all a good weekend! The guys went home with limits of chinook and Hali and a few rock fish and lings. The old boys at 68 and 75 put in some serious sessions! I’m pretty sure I had to call it every day because I was exhausted!

Caught a new species for me as well. A wolf eel. He left some pretty serious teeth marks in the gaff when I was trying to release him. Also kept my first octopus. Not the one in the pick but a smaller one. I guess we’ll see how it goes as I’ve never tried one.View attachment 95640View attachment 95641View attachment 95642View attachment 95643View attachment 95644View attachment 95645View attachment 95646
Nice looks like a good trip

I just got back from a successful family trip to Bamfield. Going in to the trip the reports weren't great. I feel it turned on while we were there. The weather was unbelievable, calm and sunny. We were able to get to all the spots we have been wanting to for years. Between Beal and Pachena was our most productive spot, in about 120 feet of water at depths Between 45 and 75. We landed 23,18,18,16, all at that spot. The other spots didnt get us the same size but still produced. We never even got a bite right at the Pachene spot.. Coho came very easy for us. We found them at Effingham, right around the corner from the bluff. On anything. But mostly the WCS jolly rancher and a no bananas coho killer, because that's what we were having chinook success on. Anchovies became a bit annoying do to pinks everywhere an didn't seem any more effective then a skinny G or Brad's bait.
The biggest trend for us was the 2 hours after every high slack were power hours. Produced most of the chinook. We would go hours with nothing the bang it would turn on for a chaotic 2 hours.
We stayed at Mills Landing. They do a fantastic job, Jerry and Diana run a smooth operation. Its also beside a nice little addition, the Bamfield wreckage. We had three meals there, would have had more but it's not open Monday or Tuesday.
All in all it was a great trip. We could have had our limits twice over if we didn't release fish each day. Thanks to the community of Bamfield for the hospitality and letting us take some fish. See you next year.

Attachments

• 20230731_193614.jpg
    20230731_193614.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 20230729_174934.jpg
    20230729_174934.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 150
Just got back from our annual trip to Bamfield and staying at McKay lodge again. Our trip started out with a bit of unknown as for the Hwy closure going into Port Alberni as we’re on the first boat out of Horseshoe bay to Nanaimo. As we headed off the ferry with my fingers crossed hoping to make it through before the road is closed and were unable to make it as we had to sit until 11:30am which wasn’t the worst but did put us behind our usual time of arrival but did make it into Bamfield around 2:00pm as it was a smooth ride down the inlet. We did end up going out for a quick fish at Beale and got into a few springs and a couple of coho and all hits came on a Gibbs Irish cream skinny G with a chartreuse flasher at 46 feet.

The next few mornings we hit Beale at first light as myself and my dad as we usually left the lodge between 5:45am and 6:00am hoping to pick up our springs and coho using the same setup with the Gibbs Irish cream skinny G and also a white Needle fish with a purple onion flasher fishing depths 46 feet and 38 feet. We tried anchovy’s but with no success. We usually grabbed the rest of the family around 9am as my kids were always itching to get out and have their turn on the rods which they did.

On our fourth day me and my dad thought we’d shoot over to Effingham to give it a go as I heard some good reports over there and were rewarded with a couple of Springs 17 and 19 but this time the anchovies were the hot ticket as our go to spoon seemed slow in the mornings as our go too depth at Effingham was 65 feet with bait and 54 with spoons or hootchies. Once grabbing the family we headed back out to Effingham with steady action of Springs, coho and pinks with everyone taking turns on the rods and we’re also rewarded with a great whale show at Meares Bluff as there was so much bait around.

All in all it was a great trip again as everyone in our family got multiple opportunities on the rods but we didn’t just fish as we took a walk down the boardwalk for ice cream, kayaking, beach day and just some relaxation at our cabin with my kids usually checking out everyone’s daily catch down on the docks. The one thing I did notice this year was also more kids up in Bamfield as I know it was the long weekend and also the Bamfield fire fighters derby which was nice to see.

So, as for a a wrap we ended up fishing Beale, Whittlestone, Fleming and Effingham between Meares bluff to Cree with spoons, needle fish, hootchies and Anchovies being the ticket at the end of our trip at 65 feet. We ended up bringing home 11 Springs between 16-19 pounds and 10 coho between 6-8 pounds with multiple releases and also lost quite a few with teaching the family how to work the rod plus drive the boat lol Also all the staff and guests at McKay lodge again has made this another great year and of course my kid’s favourites Marvin and Badger the dock dogs!

Attachments

• C1827065-B7F8-46BE-A4D6-6725228F1645.png
    C1827065-B7F8-46BE-A4D6-6725228F1645.png
    997.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 178C3CE0-6BC2-4D87-A2C0-E94C1FBA4F7A.jpeg
    178C3CE0-6BC2-4D87-A2C0-E94C1FBA4F7A.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 155
  • CF1D0E37-311C-4DA1-BBB3-4E8ACF285A96.jpeg
    CF1D0E37-311C-4DA1-BBB3-4E8ACF285A96.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 164
  • 0B62E581-A4C3-4DAF-A6B9-22B0D968B834.jpeg
    0B62E581-A4C3-4DAF-A6B9-22B0D968B834.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 7A8FFF7B-959E-4767-9C46-AFA864B427FC.jpeg
    7A8FFF7B-959E-4767-9C46-AFA864B427FC.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 6F411C71-21B5-45E6-88F3-38173E125F20.jpeg
    6F411C71-21B5-45E6-88F3-38173E125F20.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 157
  • 6C725801-C630-442D-B393-FCD1CB1919B3.png
    6C725801-C630-442D-B393-FCD1CB1919B3.png
    917.8 KB · Views: 156
  • A71AB6CB-DD1C-4804-A9C7-33042D286872.png
    A71AB6CB-DD1C-4804-A9C7-33042D286872.png
    951.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 252407CF-112D-4C80-969D-14894D2FDCC2.jpeg
    252407CF-112D-4C80-969D-14894D2FDCC2.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 154
  • E8D40E56-BE0D-4A43-9F63-5E76E5267F88.jpeg
    E8D40E56-BE0D-4A43-9F63-5E76E5267F88.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Just got back from our annual trip to Bamfield and staying at McKay lodge again. Our trip started out with a bit of unknown as for the Hwy closure going into Port Alberni as we’re on the first boat out of Horseshoe bay to Nanaimo. As we headed off the ferry with my fingers crossed hoping to make it through before the road is closed and were unable to make it as we had to sit until 11:30am which wasn’t the worst but did put us behind our usual time of arrival but did make it into Bamfield around 2:00pm as it was a smooth ride down the inlet. We did end up going out for a quick fish at Beale and got into a few springs and a couple of coho and all hits came on a Gibbs Irish cream skinny G with a chartreuse flasher at 46 feet.

The next few mornings we hit Beale at first light as myself and my dad as we usually left the lodge between 5:45am and 6:00am hoping to pick up our springs and coho using the same setup with the Gibbs Irish cream skinny G and also a white Needle fish with a purple onion flasher fishing depths 46 feet and 38 feet. We tried anchovy’s but with no success. We usually grabbed the rest of the family around 9am as my kids were always itching to get out and have their turn on the rods which they did.

On our fourth day me and my dad thought we’d shoot over to Effingham to give it a go as I heard some good reports over there and were rewarded with a couple of Springs 17 and 19 but this time the anchovies were the hot ticket as our go to spoon seemed slow in the mornings as our go too depth at Effingham was 65 feet with bait and 54 with spoons or hootchies. Once grabbing the family we headed back out to Effingham with steady action of Springs, coho and pinks with everyone taking turns on the rods and we’re also rewarded with a great whale show at Meares Bluff as there was so much bait around.

All in all it was a great trip again as everyone in our family got multiple opportunities on the rods but we didn’t just fish as we took a walk down the boardwalk for ice cream, kayaking, beach day and just some relaxation at our cabin with my kids usually checking out everyone’s daily catch down on the docks. The one thing I did notice this year was also more kids up in Bamfield as I know it was the long weekend and also the Bamfield fire fighters derby which was nice to see.

So, as for a a wrap we ended up fishing Beale, Whittlestone, Fleming and Effingham between Meares bluff to Cree with spoons, needle fish, hootchies and Anchovies being the ticket at the end of our trip at 65 feet. We ended up bringing home 11 Springs between 16-19 pounds and 10 coho between 6-8 pounds with multiple releases and also lost quite a few with teaching the family how to work the rod plus drive the boat lol Also all the staff and guests at McKay lodge again has made this another great year and of course my kid’s favourites Marvin and Badger the dock dogs!
Sounds like a fantastic trip Jeff! Glad the family enjoyed, and were rewarded with some beautiful fish.

Did you get snapped off at Beale with the skinny g chartreuse flasher combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back