2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We fished for sockeye for a an hour or two on the way out to the Sound on Jul.6 (Thur); got two that day. Spent 2.5 days fishing the Sound... found 3 keeper chinook along Trevor Channel and 4 keeper lings, but had to work for them... released several unders of each species, and released some rockfish, seabass, etc. Pill Point area was covered in seaweed and only unders in the the area it seemed. Trolled an hour or two on the way back into Alberni on Sunday... caught 2 sockeye and lost 1. Fishing in the Sound was tough, but weather was great... everything worked out well, and brought back some quality fish.

Hali has been steady in the usual spots, so that is good for everyone out there. The water has been friendly…. Inside salmon has been a challenge for most but a few nice ones when it happens. Squid in the guts. I lucked out and found a 20 in the mix.

On another note, i am posting a pic of this boat because a few of my close friends where on a research dive in front of scotts bay in a large marked diving boat , flagged for diving, with 3 divers down and this boat was tacking straight towards the watch boat.. the watch boat purposefully blocked the fellow and verbalized that divers where down and to avoid the area. The fisher yelled back that he was on tack and that divers should move? The watch person didn’t get numbers off the boat and believe me if they did , this would be going to rcmp. So if you recognize this boat, it doesn’t need to go further than giving this so called fisherman an earful for breaking law and being a general di__head..
the divers report that the coccolithaphor is 10m’ in most areas with minimal light passing through. This algae or phytoplankton bloom usually lasts 2-3 weeks, sure makes the water look tropical!! ,, with the ugly brown/tea water will follow. 126266AD-156E-4A7A-B54E-0DE4E6C81560.png

Hali has been steady in the usual spots, so that is good for everyone out there. The water has been friendly…. Inside salmon has been a challenge for most but a few nice ones when it happens. Squid in the guts. I lucked out and found a 20 in the mix.

On another note, i am posting a pic of this boat because a few of my close friends where on a research dive in front of scotts bay in a large marked diving boat , flagged for diving, with 3 divers down and this boat was tacking straight towards the watch boat.. the watch boat purposefully blocked the fellow and verbalized that divers where down and to avoid the area. The fisher yelled back that he was on tack and that divers should move? The watch person didn’t get numbers off the boat and believe me if they did , this would be going to rcmp. So if you recognize this boat, it doesn’t need to go further than giving this so called fisherman an earful for breaking law and being a general di__head..
the divers report that the coccolithaphor is 10m’ in most areas with minimal light passing through. This algae or phytoplankton bloom usually lasts 2-3 weeks, sure makes the water look tropical!! ,, with the ugly brown/tea water will follow. View attachment 94731
I’m a diver and I know what you mean. What an ahole that guy is. Hope he gets reported to RCMP.

the divers report that the coccolithaphor is 10m’ in most areas with minimal light passing through. This algae or phytoplankton bloom usually lasts 2-3 weeks, sure makes the water look tropical!! ,, with the ugly brown/tea water will follow. View attachment 94731
Guys fishing with a buoy in the water, enough said.

OMG!!
That is scary because it looks exactly like my boat! But it wasn't me! I do have the same boat though, same 300 but my bumpers are always in!!

Time to update you all on the goings on here in Barkley Sound. Most reports I have been reading are very much doom and gloom. That's not necessarily the case however. There are fish to be found. One just needs to understand the behaviour of these early July runs as they pass on by to their home rivers to the south. It seems the past few years American bound fish and early Nitinat fish travel the periphery of the Sound and the rest of the west coast of the Island. Just within the surfline. There are various spots all up and down the outside of the west coast of the Island that are home to vast areas of squid spawn in early June and July. Add to this rocky structures with massive kelp beds that hold huge schools of needle fish and immature herring. It's these spots that hold early summer chinook. That's not to say you won't find springs within the confines of Barkley Sound but with the amount of available bait just outside most of these early run springs will pass the Sound by.
So what does this mean to you, the fisherman with just a few days on your calendar to get into these fish? Ok, let's talk tackle first. Leave the anchovies and herring at home. Save them for August when the Robertson Creek Hatchery are traveling by. Small spoons and hootchies should be your go tos at this time of year. I have the best luck fishing Amundson skinny g knock offs (Giibs skinny gs work just fine but the Amundsons have much better hooks). Irish cream in glow green and white along with the bon chovy green and gold have been excellent producers, the latter having the best results for me. Fish them a minimum 6' behind a glow green or lime green flasher. I am running shallow depths at 28' to 32' cruising tight to kelp beds and structure. Glow white and turd hootchies will also produce. Keep the leaders to 36' or less. I go from my chin to extended arm. No longer!! The shorter leader will produce more action on the plastic and this is a very good thing!
The next question you are going to want answered is where do I go...
This is where you are going to need reliable power, a seaworthy vessel, very good electronics and an appropriate weather window. As I said earlier the fish are traveling by just on the outside of the Sound. That means you have the rugged coastline of Vancouver Island to one side of you and Japan on the next. The weather can blow up very quickly and getting around Cape Beale on a stiff northwesterly with an outgoing tide can be a major challenge for any boat. Be careful people!
From Cape Beale South to Keeha and Pachena has produced. From Cape Beale north towards Ucluelet has also been hot at times. Sail rock area can light up! Find kelp beds and structure. If you see concentrations of bait keep plugging that spot. Even if nothing happens for a few hours, stay patient, the bite will come on. We found that the bite was very sporadic. When it's on? it happens very fast. Make sure your boat is around the bait cause if you a wandering elsewhere you'll miss it. Find bait and stay on it!
The really good news is we have found some very decent fish. On each trip we have boated a number of fish into the high twenties. The average fish has been mid teens. All feisty and just perfect for the bbq!
Offshore spring salmon fishing fishing opens on July 15. There is, however, an 80 cm cap on springs you wish to harvest. Within the surfline you are allowed to keep springs at any size over 45 cms.
Halibut fishing has picked up. It's been very productive. Good numbers of flatties between 110 and 120 cms. Salmon bellies on spreader bars are your best bets. We have had great success jiggin a glow green paddle tail while the salmon bellies are soaking. If the dog fish are a problem try using whole salmon heads. Coho and springs around 10-12 pounds are perfect heads to use for halibut. A size 16 circle hook and you are good to go!
I just finished up fishing with Conner, Scott, Jeff, Peter, Trevor, and Steve. We fished out of my boat and Jeff's pursuit. These guys have all guided at various locales here in B.C. Excellent fisherman for sure but even better guys. We had such a blast. The fishing was amazing but the company was even better. Take advantage of what this stunning Province has to offer and get outside with your friends and family. We are so fortunate to be able to have so many slices of heaven right at our back door!
That then is a wrap for this week. I have gear to tie and boats to clean so I gotta get at it!
Can't wait to spend another day on the water tomorrow!

Time to update you all on the goings on here in Barkley Sound. Most reports I have been reading are very much doom and gloom. That's not necessarily the case however. There are fish to be found. One just needs to understand the behaviour of these early July runs as they pass on by to their home rivers to the south. It seems the past few years American bound fish and early Nitinat fish travel the periphery of the Sound and the rest of the west coast of the Island. Just within the surfline. There are various spots all up and down the outside of the west coast of the Island that are home to vast areas of squid spawn in early June and July. Add to this rocky structures with massive kelp beds that hold huge schools of needle fish and immature herring. It's these spots that hold early summer chinook. That's not to say you won't find springs within the confines of Barkley Sound but with the amount of available bait just outside most of these early run springs will pass the Sound by.
So what does this mean to you, the fisherman with just a few days on your calendar to get into these fish? Ok, let's talk tackle first. Leave the anchovies and herring at home. Save them for August when the Robertson Creek Hatchery are traveling by. Small spoons and hootchies should be your go tos at this time of year. I have the best luck fishing Amundson skinny g knock offs (Giibs skinny gs work just fine but the Amundsons have much better hooks). Irish cream in glow green and white along with the bon chovy green and gold have been excellent producers, the latter having the best results for me. Fish them a minimum 6' behind a glow green or lime green flasher. I am running shallow depths at 28' to 32' cruising tight to kelp beds and structure. Glow white and turd hootchies will also produce. Keep the leaders to 36' or less. I go from my chin to extended arm. No longer!! The shorter leader will produce more action on the plastic and this is a very good thing!
This is where you are going to need reliable power, a seaworthy vessel, very good electronics and an appropriate weather window. As I said earlier the fish are traveling by just on the outside of the Sound. That means you have the rugged coastline of Vancouver Island to one side of you and Japan on the next. The weather can blow up very quickly and getting around Cape Beale on a stiff northwesterly with an outgoing tide can be a major challenge for any boat. Be careful people!
From Cape Beale South to Keeha and Pachena has produced. From Cape Beale north towards Ucluelet has also been hot at times. Sail rock area can light up! Find kelp beds and structure. If you see concentrations of bait keep plugging that spot. Even if nothing happens for a few hours, stay patient, the bite will come on. We found that the bite was very sporadic. When it's on? it happens very fast. Make sure your boat is around the bait cause if you a wandering elsewhere you'll miss it. Find bait and stay on it!
The really good news is we have found some very decent fish. On each trip we have boated a number of fish into the high twenties. The average fish has been mid teens. All feisty and just perfect for the bbq!
Offshore spring salmon fishing fishing opens on July 15. There is, however, an 80 cm cap on springs you wish to harvest. Within the surfline you are allowed to keep springs at any size over 45 cms.
Halibut fishing has picked up. It's been very productive. Good numbers of flatties between 110 and 120 cms. Salmon bellies on spreader bars are your best bets. We have had great success jiggin a glow green paddle tail while the salmon bellies are soaking. If the dog fish are a problem try using whole salmon heads. Coho and springs around 10-12 pounds are perfect heads to use for halibut. A size 16 circle hook and you are good to go!
I just finished up fishing with Conner, Scott, Jeff, Peter, Trevor, and Steve. We fished out of my boat and Jeff's pursuit. These guys have all guided at various locales here in B.C. Excellent fisherman for sure but even better guys. We had such a blast. The fishing was amazing but the company was even better. Take advantage of what this stunning Province has to offer and get outside with your friends and family. We are so fortunate to be able to have so many slices of heaven right at our back door!
That then is a wrap for this week. I have gear to tie and boats to clean so I gotta get at it!
Excellent post. A lot of knowledge to soak up in this post heck of a learning tool.

Thank you so much.

Maybe not the right thread for this (direct me to the proper one and I'll delete) but is there a free, detailed map of substrate around Bamfield? Looking for gravel bottoms 100-200 ft...

Great day with you sir, I know all the boys enjoyed and we are home with full freezers of salmon, hali, ling and some black Rockies.

Definitely look him up if you are looking for a guide in Bamfield.

Thanks Jon, the boys had a blast and WAY too many laughs.

Even got to meet the legend @kelly

Between the two boats we got all of our springs up to 27 lbs, mostly mid teeners, I think we had 5 hali in the upper slot and kept 2 in the under, nice eating size lingers and rockies for ceviche. Had a couple nice sized coho on our boat yesterday but they were wild.

We trolled inside on Monday afternoon when we arrived but everything was undersized springs. Outside the sound was better for us on springs and really nice to be trolling inside the surf line with beautiful views.

We will definitely be back next year.

Last edited:

Assuming that was Kelly and he was telling us as we were both at McKay Bay Lodge.

Assuming that was Kelly and he was telling us as we were both at McKay Bay Lodge.
kelly was doing a dive charter in bam, nice to see him there, we have a great water system in bamfield so he was happy to be able to wash his boat off compared to home base.

wasnt kelly's group that got drove over, and the fisher made a polite apology that i passed on..

bish got a 40 lber today!!!

kelly was doing a dive charter in bam, nice to see him there, we have a great water system in bamfield so he was happy to be able to wash his boat off compared to home base.

wasnt kelly's group that got drove over, and the fisher made a polite apology that i passed on..

bish got a 40 lber today!!!
Nice!!!!

Ya Kelly had mentioned the incident when we were chatting at the lodge. He was doing pre scouting for a spear fishing program coming up in August I think he said.

Maybe not the right thread for this (direct me to the proper one and I'll delete) but is there a free, detailed map of substrate around Bamfield? Looking for gravel bottoms 100-200 ft...
Replying to myself lol. Smoked the sockeye yesterday running down the inlet today to scout ling spots for when my parents come out next week and we stay at McKay.
I've fully restored the family boat I inherited and dad wants fish and chips! Would be dandy to get an entry for tyee club too but have ideas for figuring that out, would like help finding gravel bottoms tho.
Say hi if you're out on ch 6 or 69. Crashing at science center with a buddy.

Some troll a weighted rubber jig on the downrigger so the ball is in less jeopardy of fouling and the jig is deeper into lingland.

Thanks. Looks slightly better than my navionics chip. I just don't want to donate any more cannonballs!
Hey D glass, i use the i boating app on my phone for a back up. It's very accurate and never had any issues. Cross checked it to my navionics dash unit several times.

Careful with the Hwy 4 stop. I went through it 6 times last week. The first 5 times was 10-15 minutes or less but the last time was over 1 1/2 hrs and I ended up missing my reservation on the ferry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back