2023 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be there on Monday the 10th thru the 15th. Have never fished Bamfield but looking forward to it.

I did post in the Island Fires thread but apparently there is a 8'4" or 6" limit to the width at the road closure which forced us to change plans to run the boat across. It is 31' with a 9' plus beam that was going to be hauled from Nanaimo to Alberni. We aborted that idea out of caution as this was to be until July 7 at the earliest. We have one boat coming from Tofino and have now hired a guide boat out of the lodge so we have 2 boats between 6 guys. Will be out of Mackay Lodge.
If you need a permit for over size then no go. All others good. Nobody watching for it anyway. Wasn’t warranted In my opinion

Well other than snapping the 8 hp Yamaha’s bracket on the road in and getting caught on the wrong side of David channel in meter and half breakers during a 35 knot gale (it was like someone throwing a 5 gallon pale of water in your face every 2 minutes) couldn’t make any headway we had to board our soaked sorry asses on to a bigger boat and they then towed the boat in the last 3 miles that took an hour.
We did managed a 10 pound spring at swale rock (Actually was Howard point) 60 feet blue flasher gold nugget skinny g
Lessons learned
-Even after checking multiple weather apps there be a good chance they are wrong. Case and point next day report said 15 to 30 gale warning and was dead flat
-If it’s going to go sideways good chance it’s at tide change
- don’t be concerned about sitting it out in a sheltered bay till it blows over.
Needless to say the 17 1/2 centre consul known as the kitchen Reno will now be retired to freshwater only. Back in august to do it again but bigger boat19EF3594-0172-4536-BBE7-76D848C2B5A5.jpeg19EF3594-0172-4536-BBE7-76D848C2B5A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Back from first my first trip to bamfeild. All in all good trip beautiful area I like you don't have to travel far to fish. I fish out of a 16' lund. Launched Saturday evening found a nice beach made a camp and fish Sunday which was slow. Managed a ling and some rockfish the salmon was very slow for me and from what I saw of it was for the other boats around to. More small salmon than larger ones. I did loose a very nice slab right on the side of the boat befor the netting. Monday packed up camp and fished the morning. Managed 1 keeper and pulled the lines in after that. Fished from cape beale to poett nook in total. Would love to come back when there running thick in there.

Attachments

• 20230702_044519.jpg
    20230702_044519.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 20230702_080316.jpg
    20230702_080316.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20230702_101542.jpg
    20230702_101542.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 148
Hi All
I'm up for the season and thought I'd share some intel from my first week.
All of the usual haunts such as Kirby, Swale, Flemming, The Wall, Whittlestone and Little Beale have been very slow. The odd fish will come on board but very few and very far between. Austin, Cree and Effingham have been a bit better but still slow for this time of year. Coho have shown up in dribs and drabs. Sockeye fishing up the inlet towards China Creek has been solid though.
The mature fish have been just outside the Sound. Pachena Bay and Pachena Point, Keeha Bay have been pretty solid. The squid spawn attracts migrating fish as well as vast schools of needle fish hanging out in the kelp beds.
I've been trolling skinny g knock offs made by Amundsen. These are well made spoons with very good hooks. Not a bad deal as well. Canadian Tire sells them in Vancouver at the Cambie and 7th store for around $12 but you get two spoons in a package. Irish cream and the Bon Chovy colours have been my best bets. The last time I was out all our springs were caught on the green, gold Bon Chovy. I troll them on 6 foot (minimum) leaders behind glow green guide series flashers. I've been snugging hard to the kelp beds and having steady success at 28 to 35 feet on the riggers trolling in about 35 - 43 feet of water.
My last three trips we've limited out on springs from 12 to 24 lbs, typically 6 fish per trip. Not on fire by any means. It's been about one fish per hour. Steady though for sure... Gorgeous fish, surprisingly all females.
Weather can be a factor getting around Beale as the wind has been steady at 20 - 30 knots. Make sure you have a study sea boat with gps and radar. Going with a buddy boat is always a good idea.
Hali fishing has been ok but unspectacular. Lots of chickens around. Not many boats have been out the past week due to the high pressure afternoon winds.
Chat soon everyone....

--

Well other than snapping the 8 hp Yamaha’s bracket on the road in and getting caught on the wrong side of David channel in meter and half breakers during a 35 knot gale (it was like someone throwing a 5 gallon pale of water in your face every 2 minutes) couldn’t make any headway we had to board our soaked sorry asses on to a bigger boat and they then towed the boat in the last 3 miles that took an hour.
We did managed a 10 pound spring at swale rock (Actually was Howard point) 60 feet blue flasher gold nugget skinny g
Lessons learned
-Even after checking multiple weather apps there be a good chance they are wrong. Case and point next day report said 15 to 30 gale warning and was dead flat
-If it’s going to go sideways good chance it’s at tide change
- don’t be concerned about sitting it out in a sheltered bay till it blows over.
Needless to say the 17 1/2 centre consul known as the kitchen Reno will now be retired to freshwater only. Back in august to do it again but bigger boatView attachment 94299View attachment 94299
Since I’m not familiar with the area I have to ask where this facility is?

Hi All
I'm up for the season and thought I'd share some intel from my first week.
All of the usual haunts such as Kirby, Swale, Flemming, The Wall, Whittlestone and Little Beale have been very slow. The odd fish will come on board but very few and very far between. Austin, Cree and Effingham have been a bit better but still slow for this time of year. Coho have shown up in dribs and drabs. Sockeye fishing up the inlet towards China Creek has been solid though.
The mature fish have been just outside the Sound. Pachena Bay and Pachena Point, Keeha Bay have been pretty solid. The squid spawn attracts migrating fish as well as vast schools of needle fish hanging out in the kelp beds.
I've been trolling skinny g knock offs made by Amundsen. These are well made spoons with very good hooks. Not a bad deal as well. Canadian Tire sells them in Vancouver at the Cambie and 7th store for around $12 but you get two spoons in a package. Irish cream and the Bon Chovy colours have been my best bets. The last time I was out all our springs were caught on the green, gold Bon Chovy. I troll them on 6 foot (minimum) leaders behind glow green guide series flashers. I've been snugging hard to the kelp beds and having steady success at 28 to 35 feet on the riggers trolling in about 35 - 43 feet of water.
My last three trips we've limited out on springs from 12 to 24 lbs, typically 6 fish per trip. Not on fire by any means. It's been about one fish per hour. Steady though for sure... Gorgeous fish, surprisingly all females.
Weather can be a factor getting around Beale as the wind has been steady at 20 - 30 knots. Make sure you have a study sea boat with gps and radar. Going with a buddy boat is always a good idea.
Hali fishing has been ok but unspectacular. Lots of chickens around. Not many boats have been out the past week due to the high pressure afternoon winds.
Chat soon everyone....

--
Great report; thanks for being so generous with your knowledge. Heading over on Wednesday for our annual Alberni/Barkley fishing trip; we start out the inlet first light Thursday... staying around the Rainy Bay area... will try for sockeye on our way out, and then spend a couple of days fishing... perhaps as far south as Bamfield and maybe over to Pill... only an 18' boat, so we will cover ground early in the mornings if we need to, and keep an eye on the wind forecasts for sure. Would be good to share successes if fishing is slow; is Channel 6 the "fishing channel"? We'll be on the water Jul.6-9 if all goes well. Been re-tying leaders and sharpening hooks; stoked! Thanks again and tight lines everyone.

Great report; thanks for being so generous with your knowledge. Heading over on Wednesday for our annual Alberni/Barkley fishing trip; we start out the inlet first light Thursday... staying around the Rainy Bay area... will try for sockeye on our way out, and then spend a couple of days fishing... perhaps as far south as Bamfield and maybe over to Pill... only an 18' boat, so we will cover ground early in the mornings if we need to, and keep an eye on the wind forecasts for sure. Would be good to share successes if fishing is slow; is Channel 6 the "fishing channel"? We'll be on the water Jul.6-9 if all goes well. Been re-tying leaders and sharpening hooks; stoked! Thanks again and tight lines everyone.
Post pics

Well....for 6 guys it has been a good few days. Had our possession limits of hali by noon of day 1. All in the 115-124 cm range.

Today we had limits of springs for the crew inside Seabird island around the kelp beds.
Any size to the springs?

Well....for 6 guys it has been a good few days. Had our possession limits of hali by noon of day 1. All in the 115-124 cm range.

Today we had limits of springs for the crew inside Seabird island around the kelp beds.
Sea bird island ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back